• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] New Firmware out?

I just accepted the update but after restarting my phone the version still reads as V6. Am I missing something? Please see attached screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-08-06-44-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-08-06-44-14.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0
How would one obtain the OTA zip - unless one were to actually perform the update - which has obvious pitfalls?

------------
It should be in the /cache folder but you will need to copy it before installing. After the installation it is deleted from the cache folder. The problems will be what bloatware you have removed and what kinds of modifications you've made that might hinder the package installer. This is what causes the errors and bootloop after trying to install. If your system is stock (no changes & nothing removed) you should have no problems flashing it.

Upvote 0
Excellent masterdbugger, thank you. I'm going to look over the OTA and figure out what a rooted device with system changes needs to have a successful flash. I'm hoping to put it all together as a kind of pre-flash flash zip that you'll install first then flash the update. Once everything is ready a guide will be posted for the update flash, gaining root and custom recovery. Thanks again for everyone's help and input to make this firmware update better than the last fiasco with v6. Everything is looking good at this point for a smooth transition to v7, keep your fingers crossed. :D

Upvote 0
Will the guide for updating to V7 be posted in this thread or a new thread?

------------
It will have its own thread. Bkttk2, xclusive and I are working on putting together a tool kit, for lack of a better term and will post hopefull very soon. Remember we are only three days in. It alway hits like a fire in high winds. We are doing are best to get it to you as quick as possible. Thanks for everyone's patience.

Reactions: iWindoze
Upvote 0
It will have its own thread. Bkttk2, xclusive and I are working on putting together a tool kit, for lack of a better term and will post hopefull very soon. Remember we are only three days in. It alway hits like a fire in high winds. We are doing are best to get it to you as quick as possible. Thanks for everyone's patience.

Copy that. Just asking so I know what to look for when I visit the forum (not necessarily rushing anyone to finish). Although I am notified via email on new posts to an existing thread, I would need to visit the forum to look for the new thread with the updated V7 'tool kit stuff'.

------------

Upvote 0
Copy that. Just asking so I know what to look for when I visit the forum (not necessarily rushing anyone to finish). Although I am notified via email on new posts to an existing thread, I would need to visit the forum to look for the new thread with the updated V7 'tool kit stuff'.

------------
Well my god man...look, lol. Seriously if you can do it. I got plenty of projects on hold. My theme for one and now it has to be updated to v7 before it's even finish with being update by me. In other words, yes that would be a great help. Thanks

Upvote 0
Well my god man...look, lol. Seriously if you can do it. I got plenty of projects on hold. My theme for one and now it has to be updated to v7 before it's even finish with being update by me. In other words, yes that would be a great help. Thanks

Hmmm . . . I'm thinking you misunderstood me. What I was saying was if the update is in a new thread, I would not be notified of that new thread unless I checked for it manually. If the update were to be added to this thread, I would be notified because I've made comments to this thread.

Anyway, not a big thing. I'll just keep looking for the update V7 here or a new thread - doesn't really matter ;)

------------

Upvote 0
Hmmm . . . I'm thinking you misunderstood me. What I was saying was if the update is in a new thread, I would not be notified of that new thread unless I checked for it manually. If the update were to be added to this thread, I would be notified because I've made comments to this thread.

Anyway, not a big thing. I'll just keep looking for the update V7 here or a new thread - doesn't really matter ;)

------------
I get ya. One of us three will post an announcement here so you and anyone else subscribed will know it's up. The problem with posting here is it will get lost in an existing post without it's own header and OP. Plus no one really knows where to find it, the header here doesn't give any evidence to anything about getting through the update after making changes to the system which cause all kinds of nasty. Not to mention it's bad forum form (hehe) to highjack someone else's thread. Hope that explains it. But you'll know from the announcement here. :cool:

Upvote 0
. . . unfortunately resistant to the disable service app. :/

(I'm on Virgin mobile btw)

This may help with removing the notifications/dialog's displayed for the Virgin Mobile v7 update.

Download FOTAKill.apk
Drop FOTA.Kill.apk in the /system/app folder.
Ensure the v7 update zip is deleted from /cache.
Reboot phone.

------------

Upvote 0
This may help with removing the notifications/dialog's displayed for the Virgin Mobile v7 update.

Download FOTAKill.apk
Drop FOTA.Kill.apk in the /system/app folder.
Ensure the v7 update zip is deleted from /cache

------------

Thank you for passing that on! :D I downloaded the file and attempted to move the apk into the correct folder but es file explorer gave me an error. Is there a way to change the download path or should I try a different file explorer app, or...? Sorry, still learning about root stuff.

nxvgs3a2z

Upvote 0
Thank you for passing that on! :D I downloaded the file and attempted to move the apk into the correct folder but es file explorer gave me an error. Is there a way to change the download path or should I try a different file explorer app, or...? Sorry, still learning about root stuff.

nxvgs3a2z

Most Android File Manager type apps need the app set to 'Root Explorer' and the system folders mounted. Typically these are located somewhere in the file managers settings. I personally have been using File Explorer from Cheetah Mobile (Formerly Rhythm Software - I believe): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rhmsoft.fm

------------

Reactions: opiumdreams
Upvote 0
Most Android File Manager type apps need the app set to 'Root Explorer' and the system folders mounted. Typically these are located somewhere in the file managers settings. I personally have been using File Explorer from Cheetah Mobile (Formerly Rhythm Software - I believe): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rhmsoft.fm

------------

Right! Got that app, set the root explorer and system folders mounted options. Successfully moved the apk. I'm looking at a zip file in the cache, is that the file I want to delete? Included a screen shot.

467mse8jx

I'm assuming it is from the date, but just wanted to make sure.

I deleted it because I realized it has to be that. Nothing blew up and so far no more system update prompt. *double air fist* So anyway, thank you I'm really grateful for your help! Hope I didn't spam everyone too much. <3

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones