• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] New Firmware out?

Hi All,

Just came across this thread and I think it looks like what I need.

I rooted (and subsequently stuffed) my F3 (P655K) and i cant download anything from the play store or through chrome.

Does the LG open source link provided in the first post contain the necessary software for me to flash the original software to my phone?

If yes, any links that can be provided to show a step-by-step guide on how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

Just came across this thread and I think it looks like what I need.

I rooted (and subsequently stuffed) my F3 (P655K) and i cant download anything from the play store or through chrome.

Does the LG open source link provided in the first post contain the necessary software for me to flash the original software to my phone?

If yes, any links that can be provided to show a step-by-step guide on how to do it?

Thanks in advance.
I don't think our files/procedures for unbrick will help you, our phones are U.S. cdmda yours is a Australian GSM model..

Could you give more detail about what you did and what the phone is doing now?

Try to pull the cab file using this as a guide --> http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...5-software-update-mode-not-download-mode.html <<--

Upvote 0
What's so useful about the hidden menu?

If you like to tweak, the various options can give ways to fine tune the phone's functions. Kasenomateru is right, probably if you're a more 'normal' user that doesn't care about tweaks or even rooting your phone. But if you want to do things like developing ROMs, kernels or themes (or if you're a 'power user' like me) it can't hurt to see some of the system and phone functions up close. Just be careful; if you don't know what a function does, look it up first.

That being said, I spent the $0.99 to get robaho's app. I don't plan on using the menu much, but I do like the idea of having access to internal functions. I might try some of the system tests... :D

Upvote 0
It will have its own thread. Bkttk2, xclusive and I are working on putting together a tool kit, for lack of a better term and will post hopefull very soon. Remember we are only three days in. It alway hits like a fire in high winds. We are doing are best to get it to you as quick as possible. Thanks for everyone's patience.

Any updates on the status?

Upvote 0
I may of spoke too soon. What I did isn't working. But I may found a way around it. May take me a day or two to fix it. 2900 lines of code could take a while.

If you are rooted, and have made any changes just hang tight.. If your running straight stock without root and have made no changes then you should be good to install the update.

Reactions: bkttk2
Upvote 0
This may help with removing the notifications/dialog's displayed for the Virgin Mobile v7 update.

Download FOTAKill.apk
Drop FOTA.Kill.apk in the /system/app folder.
Ensure the v7 update zip is deleted from /cache.
Reboot phone.

Hallelujah! FOTAKill.apk seems to be working as advertised on my Optimus F3 (v5 stock, updated to v6).

Let's hope it KEEPS working and doesn't suddenly get thwarted by a Google Play update like the "Disable Services" trick did.

Upvote 0
What update? I am on virgin mobile and I haven't seen any update. I happen to have my phone forced to just be on LTE only so the CDMA side isn't on so I can't receive calls or texts unless I use a VOIP like zoiper. With it like this I don't think it would be able to update the firmware as each time I have tried to do a update it just said it wasn't able to.

Upvote 0
What update? I am on virgin mobile and I haven't seen any update. I happen to have my phone forced to just be on LTE only so the CDMA side isn't on so I can't receive calls or texts unless I use a VOIP like zoiper. With it like this I don't think it would be able to update the firmware as each time I have tried to do a update it just said it wasn't able to.

The update is for sprint for now. Virgon Mobile will receive the update later in the month or in August as I heard from someone

Upvote 0
I have 2 f3s one rooted with recovery and one complete stock. I did the update on the stock one and didn't notice any difference besides vutalk uninstaller. Am i missing something?

We are about finished. There's not much of a difference. Mainly bug fixes and a couple of new apps. A couple of apps are being removed. it's mainly a security update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones