• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] VM LS720V8 - Updating, Rooting, and Unbricking

Read the first post very carefully. Your best bet is to reroot, install twrp and then run the update
So do I need to run the update first before following any of the ROM guides?

I got RE-rooted with Stump. Now working on installing TWRP. Instructions say I need the USB drivers. Found this driver which seems to be the correct one:
http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGVM720

Update: Installed the new 32 GB SD card in the phone. The LG drivers installed fine. TWRP installed fine. Made a backup of my current system. I think I'm ready to give a ROM a try. Unless you think I need to install that update first. I don't see why though if I'm just going to wipe it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just wanted to share this in case someone else finds it useful...
I have a rooted V7, and just wanted the update nag to stop. For a time, the nag went away, which I think was due to a bug in google play services. A subsequent automatic update brought the nag back and renewed my interest in getting rid of it.

The version checking relies on values in /system/build.prop. After taking a backup, I replaced the v7 build.prop with the v8 version (which I extracted from a v8 zip someone had posted here), and (once making sure permissions were 0644) that turned out to be sufficient to stop the nagging.

I may play with applying the other changes in the update (minus replacing the boot and recovery images) but I also may run out off free time before I get to that.

Upvote 0
I use Link2SD to put apps on a second partition of the SD card
I did that too, but it's only a temporary fix. Even with just a few apps, after a period of time it runs out of internal storage space (even though most of the SD card is empty) and you're back to square one again.

I'm going to reflash a ROM to just use this phone for some basic Android stuff after I get a new phone. Maybe remove all the Google apps that perpetually update and cause the phone to max out internal ROM.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones