• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Water Damage?

cwake19

Lurker
Jul 3, 2011
Hi all,

So I bought my new Sensation 4G from T-Mobile the other day on the 2nd. It's pretty nice, I like it, things were going great. Then, on the 4th, during all the festivities where I live, there were some water fights going on that I didn't know about. I stepped outside my building and within 30 seconds my friend came out of nowhere and poured a bucket of water on me, drenching all my pocket contents, including my phone.

I panicked, took it out of my pocket and separated the phone from the outer body, took the battery out, and let it set for a bit. I turned it back on after an hour or so and the touchscreen was less responsive, and the battery charging light was on, even though I didn't have it plugged in.

So next I put the phone pieces in a bag of uncooked rice to dry it out for several hours. I turned it back on very late that night and the charger light was no longer flickering, but the battery read full even though it clearly was at 50% earlier in the day and I hadn't charged it. I let it sit some more and then charged it and as it sat charging, the battery actually went down, then back up. It showed full battery all day yesterday until I put it on the charger at night. This morning I woke up with full battery again, as usual. So today it has shown full battery all day and I have been using the hotspot quite a bit and doing some video watching, with no decrease. I don't know what to do and I am sick thinking of having to claim insurance less than a week after having the phone, not to mention I'd be paying $130 for the claim to get a refurbished phone, when I've already payed $250 for this one.

I don't want to just replace the battery, but I don't want to just replace the phone either because usually Asurion doesn't send a new battery for insurance claims. I don't really have the money right now and I don't know if there's any way I can fix this issue for free. I understand my phone works and everything, but not knowing my battery level is killing me and I never know when it will just suddenly die.

Thanks for any replies in advance, I greatly appreciate it.

-Caleb

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones