1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Weird thing happening to my Captivate.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hamlin69, Jun 15, 2011.

1. hamlin69

hamlin69 Member
    None

May 26, 2011
    Male
    Canada
    I have something weird going on with my Captivate. I have 2.2 installed and randomly the phone will just shut off....ok so I turn it back on and all of my apps that have been saved on the exteral sd card are now not on the home screen or in the folder I put them in. Only the apps that are on the phones internal memory....

Does anyone know what is going on?

Advertisement

2. maerlim

maerlim Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 9, 2010
    Missouri
    Do you have those apps moved to sdcard? That happened to me when my external sd card was going bad. I replaced the sd card and it never happened again.

3. hamlin69

hamlin69 Member
    None

May 26, 2011
    Male
    Canada
    Hmm...I just got the sd card a couple days ago. It's a 16 gb HP branded mini sd.

4. babs1921

babs1921 Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    I'm sorry ...I have no answers for you but this post caught my eye and I in fact have a question for you if I may go off topic. I too have a captivate, I do not have the update yet and I'm not rooted. If I were to go buy an external sd card would I even be able to utilize it or will I not be able to do anything without the update just as I can't move anything to internal at the without it? I am quickly running out of storage space even though my internal sd card is practically empty and I need a quick fix

5. babs1921

babs1921 Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    and once again I'm sorry to change the topic on you... just judging by reading the post I thought maybe you could help me with the answer to my question quickly and easily.... any help is greatly appreciated thank you

6. hamlin69

hamlin69 Member
    None

May 26, 2011
    Male
    Canada
    I believe you need to have 2.2 installed to be able to move apps to external sd card. Not all games/apps can be moved though. Id say like 75% of my apps are moved to my external sd card. The internal sd card seems to be used for videos/pictures

7. PhoneMatt

PhoneMatt Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 2, 2010
    Male
    Atlanta, GA
    You can also have the stock camera store your pictures and videos on the external card. For app data, I use an app called App2SD, that is free to move my apps, but it does require Froyo.
    Hamlin, have you tried to remove the card from your phone and use it a card reader in your PC. Can you read it there?

8. dgritza

dgritza Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Chemist
    Montreal, PQ
    I was on both stock 2.1 and 2.2 for quite awhile and never experienced such things. Lag was a killer though. I suggest a factory reset...

Or if youre brave a custom rom...