• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What does 'H' in Status icon mean?

Hey everyone, I'm new to Android, and have a question about my N1. In the status icon area, where you would normally see G, E, or 3G, I'm getting a H there. I'm on ATT and have had my account re provisioned, but am still getting the H. I will show 3G occasionally when at home on my MicroCell, but when I'm in a 3G area, the device is not indicating 3G. I've checked the online manual and it does not even mention an H in the status icons. Is there a place to turn on 3G, other than where it indicates 2G only under network settings?

thanks
Paul

HSDPA is 3G, it's the higher speed version, you don't want to get rid of it! Mine's never said "H" but I'm pretty sure I still get HSDPA but it just doesn't get indicated on my stock ROM. I've certainly had some fantastically fast download speeds.

When it says "H" you should stroke your phone and tell it you love it.

Upvote 0
From what I understand there are two different devices; one for TMobile and one for ATT that is supposed to receive their 3G service. Can anyone confirm this? and if so, how do you identify the device per the carrier?

there are 2 separate devices... one for each although both will work on eachothers just on edge... you must have an att version if you are getting 3g

Upvote 0
there are 2 separate devices... one for each although both will work on eachothers just on edge... you must have an att version if you are getting 3g

So if the phone is showing the 'H', does that mean that I'm getting 3G? Although I'm ignorant to the procedure, the phone is rooted according to the seller, so maybe that's the reason for the 'H'.

Upvote 0
I thought it only displayed an H if you were running a custom rom O.e

You are correct, a stock nexus one does not have the 'H' icon to display HSPA+.

So if the phone is showing the 'H', does that mean that I'm getting 3G? Although I'm ignorant to the procedure, the phone is rooted according to the seller, so maybe that's the reason for the 'H'.

Yes, the 'H' icon means you are getting 3g but with faster download and upload speeds. The seller told you correctly when he said that the phone was rooted but what he didnt tell you is that it's running a custom rom. You can confirm this by going to your settings scroll to the bottom and select about phone, it should tell you what kernel and build you are running.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones