• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Keyboard are you using? VOTE!

What Keyboard are you using?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just installed Kii.. Let's see if it is anything more than just a glorified Android 4.2 keyboard, because that is exactly what it looks like. One thing I can say I already don't like, automatically deletes entire word when you press backspace one time after typing the wrong word.. That will definitely take some getting used to. The predictions don't seem so that great either. And another keyboard that doesn't come with swears loaded into the dictionary.. Lame. At least with swift key, when you enter a swear it assumes you are typing a swear every time after that (which sadly I usually am) which comes in handy for extended use.

Upvote 0
Just installed Kii.. Let's see if it is anything more than just a glorified Android 4.2 keyboard, because that is exactly what it looks like. One thing I can say I already don't like, automatically deletes entire word when you press backspace one time after typing the wrong word.. That will definitely take some getting used to. The predictions don't seem so that great either. And another keyboard that doesn't come with swears loaded into the dictionary.. Lame. At least with swift key, when you enter a swear it assumes you are typing a swear every time after that (which sadly I usually am) which comes in handy for extended use.

hahah, there isn't any settings to change the delete whole word correction?

Upvote 0
I just switched to Kii tonight. So far, am liking the keyboard layout much more than SwiftKey. SwiftKey has one of the best auto correct/text prediction I have used, but the keyboard layout makes me press the shift key and space bar by accident often. These types if typing errors tend not to be corrected properly. With Kii, I am not making these types of keying errors. Overall, this makes Kii more accurate than SwiftKey for me.

I used to use SwiftKey in landscape and Swype in portrait. Swype allows me to type one handed while lying on my side. Kii does support gesture typing like Swype. So far, the gesture typing on Kii is good enough that I am using just Kii in both orientations instead of switching back and forth.

In terms of typing speed, I am a little bit faster with Kii. The keyboard layout has a lot of do with my increased typing speed.

Upvote 0
I've been using Touchpal for weeks now but can't change my vote. I love the prediction and auto-correct, for me it is right 99% of the time. I also love the edit button that lets you easily select all, copy, paste etc.

The only gripe I have is that sometimes it suggests I'm and sometimes it only suggests im. If I press shift and type a capital Im then it suggests I'm every time. Weird.

Upvote 0
I've been using Touchpal for weeks now but can't change my vote. I love the prediction and auto-correct, for me it is right 99% of the time. I also love the edit button that lets you easily select all, copy, paste etc.

The only gripe I have is that sometimes it suggests I'm and sometimes it only suggests im. If I press shift and type a capital Im then it suggests I'm every time. Weird.

hmm, I might have to look into that.

I'm stuck between Swype and Swiftkey, honestly the winner will be the one that uses the least amount of battery, which I think right now is Swiftkey, darn Swype and it being a battery hog.

Upvote 0
I've tried most of the keyboards in the poll, but for a long time I've kept coming back to the stock 4.3/4.4 keyboard - it just keeps getting better.

That said, I'm currently playing with Fleksy, which aims to be a keyboard you don't have to actually look at. The word correction engine it uses is very good, and it uses flick-based gestures for scrolling through suggested words (an approach I find to work extremely well).

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
hmm, I might have to look into that.

I'm stuck between Swype and Swiftkey, honestly the winner will be the one that uses the least amount of battery, which I think right now is Swiftkey, darn Swype and it being a battery hog.
I haven't noticed a difference between Touchpal and the stock keyboard or the Google keyboard, but then again I never really paid that much attention. It's not listed under my battery use for some reason but I do see it's using 40MB of memory.

Upvote 0
I haven't noticed a difference between Touchpal and the stock keyboard or the Google keyboard, but then again I never really paid that much attention. It's not listed under my battery use for some reason but I do see it's using 40MB of memory.

If it's not listed that's a good thing. All I know is Swype is always like my second or third highest on the list with like 20% or something outlandish.

Swiftkey right now is around 6% where it should be if not lower. I understand Swiping to text might take more battery but it shouldn't be way up in the list under battery stats.

Upvote 0
Last month, I switch back to Kii for both my landscape and portrait keyboards. I decided to go with just one keyboard as the Keyboard Manager+ app that I use to switch keyboards depending on orientation is rather imperfect and doesn't work all the time. I did use Swype for a time, but I found it to have serious lagging issues in landscape and the split layout that I like to use has the symbols on the keys in really small font that is hard to see.

I am using Kii for both keyboards because it offers the best landscape keyboard layout amongst the keyboard I have tried (Swype, SwiftKey, Thumb and Google). Kii also has gesture typing which makes it easy to type in portrait one handed. The text prediction and auto correct is not as good as other keyboards, but I type better overall because I make fewer errors with the layout.

One feature that is really important to me is a Canadian English language and keyboard. Kii has this and some other keyboards do not. On Swype, if I use the English UK keyboard, it is more difficult to type the dollar sign because the UK uses the pound. The pound symbol on the English UK keyboard is there in place of the dollar sign on English US keyboard. I have to do extra strokes to get a dollar sign on Swype. On Kii, the dollar sign is easier to access and has the proper dictionary.

Upvote 0
Lol No love for Go Keyboard, i once loved that keyboard but my fingers just started to hate it and i always kept finding myself screwing up words more often than usual. Plus it was eating up like 40-60 mb of my ram so i just got rid of it and learned to love ICS Keyboard. Since then i've went on to Stock jellybean keyboard then google keyboard and now have a thing for Touchpal Keyboard.

Upvote 0
Lol No love for Go Keyboard, i once loved that keyboard but my fingers just started to hate it and i always kept finding myself screwing up words more often than usual. Plus it was eating up like 40-60 mb of my ram so i just got rid of it and learned to love ICS Keyboard. Since then i've went on to Stock jellybean keyboard then google keyboard and now have a thing for Touchpal Keyboard.

Sounds like Swype nowadays. I just have some pet peeves about the stock keyboard. The Swipe feature is nice, but not nearly as good as some of the applications that focus directly on the swipe feature.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones