• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where is Jelly Bean?

Not very impressed with it so far. It doesn't seem any smoother than before and the 'Google' button in the top left corner now takes you to an agonisingly-slow screen where keyboard input lags by seconds and search results take forever.

Initially it would also crash when I tried to shut the tablet down but I managed to fix that with a cold boot.

Upvote 0
System auto updated to JB yesterday. Interestingly enough, was using a 3g hotspot from my cell phone when it first showed up so was extremely slow. Got to the 75% mark and I had to shut down the hotspot (droid x2 was WAY hot). Got home, went wifi to the home network and bam, updated in a blink.

Some things I've noticed:
BAD
Lost root - I'm too much a newbie to figure out how to get back
Occasionally the prime will do a warm reboot when plugged in to the dock. No idea why but I'm sure its an app that was auto-loaded that may be causing a conflict. If I had root and some smarts I think I could figure it out.

GOOD
Wow! Smooth, fast interface. "Perky" is a good description. Everything I've tried seems to have a crisp response, impressive. I will probably score some of those 25cent apps just to check it out more.

PENDING
Will have to wait until the end of the day to see what the battery life is doing. This is one aspect that's critical to me as I work 10 hour shifts. Would hate to run low just because I have a new OS.

Upvote 0
Strange.....

I'm from the UK so wonder if the reason I got the update because I am currently in the USA ? same for Google Play Music..... On my ATP I now have Google music but on my Galaxy 3 I have Google Pla but cannot purchase music from the App store but I can on the ATP

Any ideas why that is ? I download a song on the ATP and it appeared on the S3 ??? hmmmm

Upvote 0
Oakville, Ontario (Canada) here. Got my JB update on my TF201 on Thursday. (can't remember the time).

Did a check for updates, said an update was available. After it downloaded it reported an error (one I've seen here in other posts, can't remember which).

At first I thought I was screwed, but then I noticed a notification in the tray that said there was an update ready for installation. I pressed it, and it installed.

So far, so good.

One thing I noticed (by accident) is that if I swipe my finger up from off screen anywhere in the bottom left corner (where the Home, Back, and Running Apps buttons are) it launches Google Now.

Upvote 0
Anybody having a problem commenting on status' on Facebook? My keyboard won't come up. If you're having the same problem and have solved it, please contact me here or at <REDACTED> thank you

Which version of the Transformer do you have? If it's the Infinity you will have to wait a while while they tweak JB specifically because of the Facebook issue.

See here: Jelly Bean update for ASUS Transformer Prime TF201 is here. Infinity still delayed

"...so now it

Upvote 0
installed JB now and everything seems smother, havent hit any browser wait errors in chrome wither yet.

however, Dolphin browser, boat browser and the tegra zone app are all screwed... all just crash and don't open, will be re-installing later to test but i'm really hoping this can be fixed with a simple re-install.

anyone else had issue with some apps?

Upvote 0
installed JB now and everything seems smother, havent hit any browser wait errors in chrome wither yet.

however, Dolphin browser, boat browser and the tegra zone app are all screwed... all just crash and don't open, will be re-installing later to test but i'm really hoping this can be fixed with a simple re-install.

anyone else had issue with some apps?

I've tested Dolphin and Firefox and they both run smooth as silk on my Prime since the update. I wonder what may be giving you the problem. None of the apps I've used, so far, have had any problems running.

Upvote 0
@mjschmidt thanks a lot for the response ... I have the Transformer Prime TF201 ... thanks for the info by the way, I've never posted on a forum before, and figured it would just be an easy way to contact me. I did a bunch of searches for any problems, but it's like you said, the TF201 is ready to be updated, but it still isn't working with facebook. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
@mjschmidt thanks a lot for the response ... I have the Transformer Prime TF201 ... thanks for the info by the way, I've never posted on a forum before, and figured it would just be an easy way to contact me. I did a bunch of searches for any problems, but it's like you said, the TF201 is ready to be updated, but it still isn't working with facebook. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

well i know that the update for the Transformer infinity was delayed due to issues with the Facebook app not playing nice with the keyboard. May be something to do with that.

Can't confirm myself if i'm affected by the same issue as i don't use Facebook but i'm sure someone else can test the Prime with the Facebook app when its not docked into the keyboard dock and let you know.

Upvote 0
Even the keyboard dock doesn't work with facebook .. it's so sad I'm on here complaining about a keyboard on facebook, but I only use my tablet for social media and work (which are tied together), so this is a big issue for me

Given that the keyboard issue was fixed for the infinity withing 3 days and the update for that released, I wouldn't be surprised if ASUS deploy a patch to fix this by the end of the week.

They obviously are aware of the issue so i'm gonna say just wait for an update soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones