• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which phone should I buy - LG v20s or Moto G5s Plus?

I'm after a phone that's reliable and can run smoothly , has a good camera and runs reliably . Battery isn't an issue nor is price. I have narrowed my choice down to LG V20 or Moto G5s Plus. Baring in mind the LG is much older but higher specs while the Moto is much more new and has lower specs. Which should I buy?

LG V30. Unless you are purposely price pointing. Then the deals on the V20 are really good so that is true.

I will say I do love the moto products I used to own and will look at one for my next replacement - but the lack of the headphone jack was a big thing keeping me away from the Moto Z. To that end - I don't know who your carrier is but I would give serious thought to the newer models of device.

Having had my V20 for the better part of a year I have liked it, it's had a few issues that have all be software related. But I like that I can today replace the battery if it was to go bad. Hardware is good and if you aren't about to get 5G systems in your area for a while no point in buying the latest.

Upvote 0
LG V30. Unless you are purposely price pointing. Then the deals on the V20 are really good so that is true.

I will say I do love the moto products I used to own and will look at one for my next replacement - but the lack of the headphone jack was a big thing keeping me away from the Moto Z. To that end - I don't know who your carrier is but I would give serious thought to the newer models of device.

Having had my V20 for the better part of a year I have liked it, it's had a few issues that have all be software related. But I like that I can today replace the battery if it was to go bad. Hardware is good and if you aren't about to get 5G systems in your area for a while no point in buying the latest.

Thanks for your reply. Having been an owner of the v20 (idk if you still are) were there any major flaws to it? And would it feel outdated in 2018 even though the system updates are keeping up, Can the phone handle it?

Upvote 0
Hi, I've had 2 Moto G5 Plus cell phones in the past 3 months. The 1st phone I returned to the seller because the USB wire was EXTREMELY loose while charging & the replacement phone, which was also brand new & sealed from Motorola, isn't too much better. I'm starting to see on other forums how more & more people are having this problem with Motorola charging ports with this model & similar models, so obviously, it's not just me. So, that's the biggest concern with the G5 Plus for me. I love everything else about it. It has great 64GB internal storage and seams really fast to me. However, I was upgrading from my very 1st smart phone purchase 2 years ago, which was a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S5. I was concerned about not having a removable battery with the G% Plus because I don't want to have to take a battery bank every single time I go out because I use public transportation or travel by foot, but I was amazed with the battery life. I had a $300 budget and it meets all of my other needs, but I'm terrified of having to learn how to replace the charging port and I know paying to have it repaired would cost nearly $200. Even if the do issue a recall for the charging ports like some people on certain forums are calling for, I didn't purchase it from an "Authorized Motorola Retailer," so I highly doubt that they would even honor my claim. :(
I just wanted to provide you with another 2 Cents. Good luck in your purchase.:D

Reactions: mikestratford2003
Upvote 0
Hi, I've had 2 Moto G5 Plus cell phones in the past 3 months. The 1st phone I returned to the seller because the USB wire was EXTREMELY loose while charging & the replacement phone, which was also brand new & sealed from Motorola, isn't too much better. I'm starting to see on other forums how more & more people are having this problem with Motorola charging ports with this model & similar models, so obviously, it's not just me. So, that's the biggest concern with the G5 Plus for me. I love everything else about it. It has great 64GB internal storage and seams really fast to me. However, I was upgrading from my very 1st smart phone purchase 2 years ago, which was a refurbished Samsung Galaxy S5. I was concerned about not having a removable battery with the G% Plus because I don't want to have to take a battery bank every single time I go out because I use public transportation or travel by foot, but I was amazed with the battery life. I had a $300 budget and it meets all of my other needs, but I'm terrified of having to learn how to replace the charging port and I know paying to have it repaired would cost nearly $200. Even if the do issue a recall for the charging ports like some people on certain forums are calling for, I didn't purchase it from an 'Authorized Motorola Retailer,' so I highly doubt that they would even honor my claim.
frown.png

I just wanted to provide you with another 2 Cents. Good luck in your purchase.
biggrin.png

Thank you 😊it's such a hard decision between the two phones but atm I'm leaning towards the G5s plus

Upvote 0
I just got the LG V20 a few weeks ago and have been very happy with it. For me, this was the only phone I seriously considered, because I consider the manufacturers' decision to make all phones without replaceable batters to be an outrageous example of planned obsolescence. Also, when I'm somewhere without access to electricity (e.g. car camping), I want to bring along a couple of extra batteries and be able to just pop them in the phone. Incidentally, I thought Verizon's price for the V20 was excessive, so bought a Verizon compliant V20 from an outside vendor .. with considerable trepidation. However, that wasn't a problem. I took it to a Verizon store, they gave me a new SIM card, disabled the old one, and were not surly or snide about my having bought my V20 from an outside source.

============

Follow-up: Battery strength is better than my old Note 4. When I ski, I put a heavy load on the battery. I need to keep the phone service on, which makes the phone work harder when I ski into places without much signal. Also, I use a ski app (SkiTrax), that uses Location to track my skiing. And, I listen to music. With my Note 4, I needed to recharge at lunch. With my LG V20, I don't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. Having been an owner of the v20 (idk if you still are) were there any major flaws to it? And would it feel outdated in 2018 even though the system updates are keeping up, Can the phone handle it?

Oh it was totally outdated the day I bought it.

Here's the thing - just like with computers people focus on the processor name and spec but don't bother to note the ram or the other support functions. SO having 4gb of ram like every other hot mobile on the market keeps it on par with everyone. I've not felt it was outdated when running anything. BUT and I'll say this I'm not your normal mobile user. I don't facecrack or twatter, or whatever the smurf people are doing these days. I do run useful apps on my phone I browse the internet, I even do maths on my phone. Yep I actually run excel on it - and a few other calculators. I have put a few games on and taken them off - games that don't bog up your network with data grabs work just fine. Games to do data grabs work just the same as they do on any other mobile if you have strong data with low latency.

V20 can do 802.11AC MIMO - and it does so well when you have it. The LTE whatever modem does what it can - with what's available to me. If I lived in a tier 1 area for VZ I know I'd get pretty awesome service.

I love the audio and that's what I bought the thing for. Love the Hifi DAC setup but more so love the amplification that runs some full range cans. I use it at work often.

System updates so far have been mostly security updates. Supposedly it will get an Oreo 8.1 update this spring or summer. I'm sure it will run it fine.

biggest issue I've had software wise was android assistance and the headphone/headset thing when plugging into my car. If my car has BT I wouldn't see this issue.

Hardware as been great - battery is a bit little but you can replace it at will if you want. I find I just charge it once per day. Again I think you'd like it well and honestly I probably will always buy another previous year mobile from now on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones