• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who uses the standard browser?

If you update your dolphin browser, save your bookmarks first. I failed to do this and lost all of them. Ugh. (Kinda lame they made it so you have to uninstall then install to update it.)

You guys keep calling it the htc browser. Are there two browsers that come with the Eris?

No, but the standard Android browser is different from ours.

Upvote 0
I started using Steel the other day. I like standard browser but I hated not being able to close it out, especially considering all the RAM it uses up. I can access flash through it too. Watched a youtube clip embedded on a site today. It gave me the option to view it using the YouTube app or the HTC flash player. Tried YouTube first and no go, then tried flash player and It worked like a charm.

Upvote 0
Ok, after losing my bookmarks with the update today, I'm officially leaving the dolphin browser and going back to the built in eris browser. Dolphin is really hard to look at. I like the fact that pinch and zoom seems to work on every page, but it always shifts everything over to the side forcing you to center the text every time.

The p and z on the htc browser works much better. Text immediately lines up straight, but it doesn't seem to work on some sites. One really cool thing I just noticed is you can adjust the size of the text. I selected huge and it definitely makes a difference.

Dolphin may be a little faster but at this point, it's no contest for me. I'm sticking with the eris browser.

Question: What's the best way to quit the browser? That's the one area dolphin has this browser beat.

Upvote 0
Ok, after losing my bookmarks with the update today, I'm officially leaving the dolphin browser and going back to the built in eris browser. Dolphin is really hard to look at. I like the fact that pinch and zoom seems to work on every page, but it always shifts everything over to the side forcing you to center the text every time.

The p and z on the htc browser works much better. Text immediately lines up straight, but it doesn't seem to work on some sites. One really cool thing I just noticed is you can adjust the size of the text. I selected huge and it definitely makes a difference.

Dolphin may be a little faster but at this point, it's no contest for me. I'm sticking with the eris browser.

Question: What's the best way to quit the browser? That's the one area dolphin has this browser beat.

To quit fast open a new window close the old one and press back one :)

Upvote 0
I just like the simplicity of the browser. I don't see what the big deal is about Dolphin as the gestures and all that crap are just gimmicks to me.

Someone mentioned Steel and I used it for a few hours and deleted it soon afterwards. The stock browser just feels right.

Opera is supposed to announce Opera Mobile 10 or something, soon, and Fennec, from Mozilla, should be out later on this year. End of summer or something, it's still a ways away, but we'll have legitimate browsers then. I dunno what this crap called Dolphin is or how it became so popular.

Upvote 0
a few points that may have already been covered.

i use dolphins, pros i see

it is faster loading pages

tabbed browsing

full screen, screen with tabs showing, and you can toggle whether you want to see the notif bar on screen while using it

the gesture feature is actually pretty nice once you get used to it

BOOKMARKS the new dolphin can sync with your google bookmarks. it is real easy to import your pc's bookmarks to google, and import to dolphin.

the new dolphin has improved menu's and structure in general

you can theme/skin dolphin although lately this doesn't seem to work, wonder if its my phone?

you can hold the back softkey to ext or exit and clear cache.

handling tabs is very nicely done with dolphin.

Upvote 0
I just did more testing and dolphin's p and z works on google, but the stock browser's p and z doesn't. Weird.

The stock browser's multi-touch zoom does not work on mobile sites, for what should be obvious reasons - they are designed to fit the display without zooming. If you change the Google home page to classic view, I believe you can multi-touch in the stock browser.

Upvote 0
The stock browser's multi-touch zoom does not work on mobile sites, for what should be obvious reasons - they are designed to fit the display without zooming. If you change the Google home page to classic view, I believe you can multi-touch in the stock browser.

Thanks for the tip doogald, you're right!

And I figured out how to exit the browser like deman suggested:
menu>windows>hit plus sign in upper left corner>hit back button (the hard key back button, not the one within the browser) If the + sign doesn't appear in the upper left corner after hitting 'window', close the window showing by hitting the little x and the + sign will then appear.

It really would be nice if they updated this browser with an exit/close option. They could easily put this option instead of the 'page info' choice in the 'more' section.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones