• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi Tether?

Having trouble Wifi Tethering Xoom to my rooted Droid. It just shows scanning but never comes up. But yet my laptop shows and allows me to connect. Any Ideas?

This is exactly what I was experiencing on my Droid X using "wireless tether" app. It would just repeatedly try to obtain ip address and it also showed that my wifi signal was poor.
Pretty safe to say the W.T. app needs an update to support for use with tethering to a honeycomb device.
Some Apps don't work properly w/ honeycomb yet.

I am looking into a solution for the OG Droid and the Xoom.
Something out there has GOT to work

EDIT: "Wireless Tether" will work, if you have problems connecting your device's internet successfully to your Xoom, clear W.T.'s cache, uninstall and reinstall. I rebooted my X and my Zoom and W.T. works, but surprisingly not as good as the VZ hotspot app works w/Xoom.

Reactions: yooperpj
Upvote 0
Rooted my droid 1 (2.2.1 / FRG83D) last night with SuperOneclick 1.7. Got Wifi tether for rooted from market. Xoom fails to connect to wifi. Got bluetooth working instead. Paired both as bluetooth devices. Used same tether app in bluetooth mode (settings change) and xoom gets data from droid. Noticeably slower but much better than no option. Off to work from the beach :)

dave / santa cruz

Upvote 0
You successfully tethered your OG droid to your xoom? If so how did you do it?

I used the same methodology as described by davidpthomas above (except the app is called Wireless Tether, not wifi tether).

You also have to go into your XOOM settings and enable bluetooth tethering, and turn off the XOOM wifi after the devices are paired.

PM me if you are having problems still.

Upvote 0
I used the same methodology as described by davidpthomas above (except the app is called Wireless Tether, not wifi tether).

You also have to go into your XOOM settings and enable bluetooth tethering, and turn off the XOOM wifi after the devices are paired.

PM me if you are having problems still.
I don't see an option to enable bluetooth tethering on my XOOM. I have a OG Droid 2.2.1 FRG83D Bugless Beast 0.6.2.1. I need to figure out a way to tether because the XOOM data plan is r-tarded.

Upvote 0
Ok,

I first have to admit, I am too chicken to try to root my X. So, first, I am wondering if anyone has successfully tethered a non rooted x to a xoom? If you have could you please post the apps and steps?

If not, is there a place on this forum that will show me step by step [in plain and easy to understand English] how to root my droid X.

What benefits are there to rooting the phone? What are the downsides.

Everyone has helped me a lot so far, so I am looking forward to your answers.

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones