• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Xrookie rooted, what's next?

notaguru

Android Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2010
S Cal
No problem rooting my little Eris and then the Incredible, and finding useful ROMs for them. But the Droid X?

I used Pete's for the no-brainer root, and Titanium Pro to freeze unwanted crapware. So far, so good. It's now time to play with ROMs. With earlier phones I just put candidates onto the top level of the SD card, booted into recovery, wiped dalvik and cache, and loaded the ROM.

The notes in the forums are very confusing, as some indicate that even with root I must sbf first, or go through other processes rather than the one I know. I even saw ROMs called "pre-rooted"!

So - what's the simplest way to install new X ROMs, and which have the best reputation for battery life and functionality?

NOTE: I installed ROM Manager, but when I tried to boot into Recovery (so I could nandroid) I got the triangle with exclamation point. Something's missing...

Thanks!

The reason for having to do an sbf on some roms some are 2 int roms and some are not. 2 int roms like Miui and CM allow for a lot of customizing, but were not known for good battery life or at least the Froyo based ones were not. Miui and CM have just come out for Gingerbread and looks like the battery life is better now (I have not tried any of the 2 int on GB). I am currently using Sensei v3 and Shuji 2.2. These are both based on GB .602 and you can install these directly from CRW, if you are on .602 and rooted.

As far as battery life goes, everyone always seems to like the battery life on Apex (I have not tried Apex since back on Froyo).
My current two favs are

Mobile_Sensei v3 (http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/415156-rom-sensei-mod-602-gb-v3-mobile_sensei.html) and

Shuji 2.2
(http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...droid-x-theme-rom-list-updated-9-19-11-a.html) and both get excellent battery life and offer good customizing.

As far as installing different roms, it is best to follow the directions of each dev of that rom. As a base, you should probably do a data/factory reset, wipe cache, and wipe dalvik cache when changing roms. You also probably need to wipe your battery stats as well.

Upvote 0
As far as installing different roms, it is best to follow the directions of each dev of that rom. As a base, you should probably do a data/factory reset, wipe cache, and wipe dalvik cache when changing roms. You also probably need to wipe your battery stats as well.

Great info!
So, apparently I should
1. put Sensei on the SD card
2. sbf, getting to (rooted) stock
3. wipe dalvik/cache/batt-stat
4. load Sensei
5. reinstall apps from Titanium, etc.
6. re-do configuration, etc.

If that's "it" - no problem, EXCEPT:

How do I wipe if I cannot get to recovery? Neither ROM Manager nor Quickboot seems to work.
Or does sbf put me there?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Great info!
So, apparently I should
1. put Sensei on the SD card
2. sbf, getting to (rooted) stock
3. wipe dalvik/cache/batt-stat
4. load Sensei
5. reinstall apps from Titanium, etc.
6. re-do configuration, etc.

If that's "it" - no problem, EXCEPT:

How do I wipe if I cannot get to recovery? Neither ROM Manager nor Quickboot seems to work.
Or does sbf put me there?

Thanks!

That should get you. But remember, if you are reinstalling from Titanium DO NOT restore any SYSTEM stuff only app stuff.

I use Droid 2 Bootstrap, which when you run it, it will reboot your phone into Clockwork Recovery Mode (CWR). Droid 2 Bootstrapper is available from the Market, so is Droid X Bootstrapper.

The only time I have every used Rom Manager was for Miui, 2 int Froyo rom, you had to. I do not use it on Gingerbread. Seems to have some issues, or at least some people do. I just use Droid 2 Bootstrapper.

You can get to Stock Recovery no problem, just have to do it a different way. Motorola changed it in Gingerbread. Look at post #6 here http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/408949-cant-access-stock-recovery.html

Follow the instructions found here and you can't go wrong http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ad-602-sbf-root-process-updated-9-9-11-a.html

1. Put Sensei Rom on your sdcard
2. sbf to GB .602
3. after your sbf, enter stock recovery and do your wipes
4. root your phone with the 1 click method
5. install your custom rom (ssm .602 v3)
6. install custom theme if desired

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
I bought and installed the Droid X Bootstrapper, which gives me two options:
Bootstrap Recovery
Reboot Recovery

My phone is definitely rooted (via Pete's).

Bootstrap Recovery gives me Success! But now what? I tried Quickboot > Recovery, but that went to the triangle with exclamation point, requiring a battery pull.

Reboot Recovery gives a blank screen, locked, requiring a battery pull.

What part of the IQ test have I failed?

Upvote 0
I bought and installed the Droid X Bootstrapper, which gives me two options:
Bootstrap Recovery
Reboot Recovery

My phone is definitely rooted (via Pete's).

Bootstrap Recovery gives me Success! But now what? I tried Quickboot > Recovery, but that went to the triangle with exclamation point, requiring a battery pull.

Reboot Recovery gives a blank screen, locked, requiring a battery pull.

What part of the IQ test have I failed?

on dx bootstrap, you need to uncheck usb debugging in your development menu whenever you use it, and then recheck it once the phone is booted.

you need to hit bootstrap recovery, and allow it to have super user access, then hit success

then hit reboot recovery, and you should boot straight into clock work recovery

Reactions: notaguru
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones