1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

xScope, a multitouch pinch zoom browser

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by xScope, Nov 23, 2009.

1. xScope

xScope Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    Folder and re-ordering are two things I will work on.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. mattots

mattots Newbie
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Hi,

I've just discovered XScope and am absolutely loving it so far. Seems to be exactly the right mix of functionality, speed and simplicity that I've been looking for.

One thing I'd like to request is that when you exit the browser (using the exit option rather than just switching away from it so its still running in the background) it would be nice to get a prompt asking whether to save the currently open tabs for next time you open the browser, and/or have an option in settings to make this the default behaviour if desired.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Matt

3. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    +1

Been using xScope exclusively now for a few days and am very happy with it. As you put it, I do think it's got just the right mix of all that. I'm definitely sticking with it. Just keep it fast, simple and with enough functionality (like the excellent tab handling) and it's a big winner.

Many people like the stock browser, Dolphin and Skyfire are huge departures from that. I don't find xScope to be so different. It's feels like the stock browser, but with a bunch of things that made it limited fixed in xScope.

4. jpvonhemel

jpvonhemel Newbie
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    I have a webpage that stores images from a network camera. If I select an image, it opens, but when I go back to the index, it reloads the page and goes to the top. I would like to go back to the page level that I left from. Any suggestions?

The page is actually just an index of the directory served.

5. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I have a feature suggestion. Don't know how hard it would be or who might want it, but I've needed it a couple of times.

It'd be nice to have the ability to re-open recently closed tabs. A couple of times, I've closed the tab on accident and if you already left the page that you opened the tab from, it can take a while to get back to the tab you closed on accident.

Most desktop browsers have that ability now.

Thoughts?

6. pwabbit

pwabbit Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2009
    I sort of use this already. I open a new tab and select the link from history.

7. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    After I posted, I did realize that I probably could go back through the history to get it.

Still, re-open last closed tab might be nice.

8. mattots

mattots Newbie
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    I agree, this would be a handy feature. Which got me thinking about where it would best go...

I only just realised that the 'new tab' page is currently the same thing as the 'favorites' page. I think it would be nice if these were separated
    out into different pages. The 'new tab' page could work like Google Chrome's new tab page, with a fixed (or user configurable) number of links (list/thumbnails) to the most frequently visited pages, with the option to override these with specific sites (either by defining a url or 'pinning' a site like in Chrome). This page would also be the ideal place for a link to/list of recently closed tabs (again like in Chrome).

9. Ngo93

Ngo93 Android Enthusiast
    None

Also can their be an option to turn down the zooming sensitivity? It's just that this browser is so sensitive compared to everything else I've used. But still, this is the best browser out there, good job!

10. xScope

None

Nov 23, 2009
    Good suggestions! Thx

11. suiaerl

suiaerl Lurker
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Hey, I've been using ur browser exclusively for web browsing for awhile and really like it. The only problem I've run intonis a lot of downloads require you to click the 'save link as' option, which I can't seem to figure out how to do. With the built in file , the ability to save link as would be infinitely helpful, or knowing how (as I think this got brought up once a long time ago related to podcasts).

Anyway thanks for the great browser & great support. Just would love the ability to navigate / manage my files as well as download in my browser :)

Keep up the amazing job!

12. jimdroid

jimdroid Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks!

One thing that would be nice, and may be fairly easy is to respect the bookmarks ordering that BookMarksSB creates (SkyFire does this). Before I buy the paid version, does it use the BookmarksSB order, or just the default order?

Thanks!

jd

13. mattots

mattots Newbie
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Is it possible for Google Maps links to be handled by the Google Maps app rather than opening in the browser? This is what happens with the built in browser on my HTC Desire.

14. amped42

amped42 Lurker
    None

Jun 30, 2010
  15. pool7

pool7 Lurker
    None

Jul 2, 2010
    @xScope
    I'd love to purchase the full version, but due to my location (Argentina) I can't get it through the Market.
    Is there any alternative way of purchasing? Maybe PayPal?

Thanks in advance.

16. Thomas_AR

Thomas_AR Newbie
    None

May 18, 2010
    Art Dealer
    Buenos Aires
    Had the same problem, living in Buenos Aires. Write him an email, he will help.

17. pool7

pool7 Lurker
    None

Jul 2, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion; I just did so. :)

18. jschall

jschall Member
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    Mont Saint Hilaire, Qu
    I really love the My Favorites/New Tab page in the thumbnail layout. For favorites that I add myself, xscope takes a snapshot of the screen and creates a thumbnail image.

However, for the "standard" favorites like BBC and CNN, no thumbnail is created, even after the site has been visited. The icon is just a blank square with a text label.

Why can't ALL the favorites have thumbnail icons? Is there any way of editing the Favorites page to add our own images?

19. zippy

zippy Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    I had backed up my xscope bookmarks prior to resetting my phone earlier this week. Once I had it back up and running, and replaced the saved folder from my SDCard, the bookmarks are not showing in the Favorites list. How to I reintegrate my backed up favorites?

20. xScope

None

Nov 23, 2009
    Due to redirection. To explain: assume you add A as your favorite. Then you visit A, but it gets redirected to B. So the browser has no chance to take a thumbnail for A.

Try to remove your current BBC or CNN and then add them back again. Those thumbnails are dynamically generated as you visit favorite sites. Currently no way of setting it.

jschall likes this.
  21. xScope

None

Nov 23, 2009
    Please try: 'Save to globalbookmarks' and then use 'Retrieve global bookmarks' to get them back next time. THanks

22. xScope

None

Nov 23, 2009
    If you haven't received any response yet, please send email xscopebrowser@gmail.com again.

NOte: Any user from this forum is welcome to send an inquiry for a free copy of the paid app. Thanks!

23. xScope

None

Nov 23, 2009
    It is currently ordered by the time you add your favorite. Thanks

24. xScope

None

Nov 23, 2009
    Depending on the links. If it is an address itself, it will pop up selection. If it is an google maps link, it will open with google maps in browser. Really the app doesn't meddle what user is visiting at all. It relies on webkit to process.

25. Rophuine

Rophuine Lurker
    None

May 10, 2010
    I just noticed that you've added renaming for duplicate filenames when downloading. Awesome! Thank you, this makes my life much easier. I've upgraded from 1.6 to 2.1 and bought the 2.0+ xScope version as well. Great browser, and I really appreciate all the work put into it.