• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root You Can't Root Your Gingerbread 2.3.3. Evo....BUT NOW YOU CAN!!!!!!

I do believe at times we have to be carefeul of what we post for i called sprint about a problem and one of the representatives placed me on hold and told me she was searching the forums of htc evo 4g users. so they can see as well if the devs are working on something by what we post in these forums as well. I wish they would hurry up the unlock the s-off button.

yeah that is my only concern on the thread over on xda that bubby323 started. it is a little to out there for the public to see. not sure though if sprint or htc really cares if they find an exploit or not. i think that some devs are just paranoid for no reason. i just hope some good comes out of this brainstorming attempt.

Upvote 0
I'm sure that the devs are working hard on trying to find a way into Gingerbread, my question is how long does it usually take for them to do it so us peeps that have evo 4g with gingerbread can start rooting our devices?

yeah i think this one might take longer as previous exploits get closed. thus, making it harder to crack this current hboot. but i have a lot of faith in the dev communtiy that soon we will be able crack it and find an exploit that can be used to gain full root on our beloved evo's.

Upvote 0
So is this rooting dilemma with the HTC Evo 4G & 3D a problem with HTC cracking down or is this Sprint's doing?

ohhh that is a great question. if you ask me i think that this would be htc's domain. i mean if they can lock the bootloaders down then my guess is that thay have control over the design of it. but that is not saying that sprint can or can't push an ota to close any exploits.

Upvote 0
As far as I'm concerned, the two biggest issues with this update are that I cannot root my phone now, and the voice recognition doesn't work.

Do these same issues plague the EVO shift also? I'm thinking of just selling my EVO and buying a SHiFt.

well, i just went over to their forum and it looks like that they are in the same boat as well as us evo owners. they are also starting to ship out with gingerbread installed out of box as well. so you might as well as stick with the evo as, i think, it is a much better phone.

Upvote 0
ohhh that is a great question. if you ask me i think that this would be htc's domain. i mean if they can lock the bootloaders down then my guess is that thay have control over the design of it. but that is not saying that sprint can or can't push an ota to close any exploits.

I just thought we needed a change in discussion :p lol

Well it seems to be happening to all 3 Evo devices! The regular Evo 4G, Evo Shift, and the Evo 3D. The Evo 3D, last I checked, was half way rooted. It appears that things are getting tougher for those of us who like using our devices to their full potential :(

I wonder because I remember hearing HTC saying that they would no longer lock bootloaders due to the high demand they received from users' complaints. I assume they meant later on as, as far as I understand, the Evo 3D has a locked bootloader and many are wondering if HTC will send out an update that will unlock it, which I doubt if Sprint has their way and denies us that right.

I do wonder about the Evo tablet...I haven't really played around with it nor heard about it being rooted yet.

Upvote 0
You're right, HTC did commit to unlocked bootloaders. They said on their facebook site a couple of weeks ago that it's not a simple fix and that the updates for the Evo3D and Sensation will roll out at the end of August. They make it sound like there will be additional capabilites rolled out for other devices in September, but no specific models are mentioned, so we can only hope that the Evo is near the top of the list.

I'm glad people are making an effort on XDA. I am hating the battery life on my stock Evo. If I had gotten my replacement like 2 weeks sooner, I probably would have gotten a Froyo build. I really miss AOSP.

Upvote 0
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you need to have securities turned off to do that which is not possible with the current hboot as an exploit has not been found yet.believ me though the great devs there and else where are working on it. exactly how much attention they are giving it is another issue.

Reactions: pushingitonme
Upvote 0
Good news. In the EVO 3D forums, I asked if the exploit being used work work across other HTC devices and a guy named Shadowmite responded saying that it's a linux kernel exploit that should support any hboot that is currently available. See page 4 of this thread

Sensation given S-Off by AlphaRev, Evo 3D coming soon? - xda-developers

Booyah! Finally some progress! Just stay tuned guys, it's only a matter of time....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones