• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GameBoid Compatibility List.

I found a pretty simple trick to skip cut scenes. Use visual boy adavance (pc gba emulator) and start your game. When the part that it freezes pn is over save your game as though you would on the actual gameboy and transfer the file to the phone via computer. From there you can always start the game after the cut scene. Works great for gameboid lite users.

OMG... does that work for Grand Theft Auto Advance? Please say it does.

Upvote 0
Has anyone gotten Demikids working? It starts out just fine, but then "crashes" back to the rom list right after the first location description is displayed (shortly after choosing your name). I haven't yet tried copying saves from a PC emulator, so I'll try that and see if it keeps working afterwards. I'm just wondering if it's a bug in the rom or the bios or the emulator.

Also, Medabots Rukusho version crashes the same way when I turn on the TV in my house at the beginning. If we could get rid of these crashes, the emulator would be great. It looks and sounds really good on most games already.

Upvote 0
Having a huge problem with Final Fantasy V. It started out as random restarts and crashes, now after getting the fire crystal jobs and beating shivering I can't walk into/use an inn without a forced restart. After beating the fire boat and looting the soon to explode castle a bit got a forced restart exiting the left storeroom. Forced restart if you loot the hidden treasure room in the pirate hideout.

On the otherhand tactics advance and FFI-II have given me no trouble at all.

Upvote 0
I was always wondering what the hell was with Golden Sun 2. I tried well over 10 different roms.. I desperately wanted that game on my phone haha
I'm assuming you mean the issues with the sound. It's a problem that happens in both Gameboid and VGBA. Yonghz did actually fix it in one version of Gameboid, but retracted the fix because it apparently broke some of the Pokemon games or something like that.

The version of Gameboid that seems to play Golden Sun The Lost Age properly is version 2.4.2. It contained the sound fix for the sequel, all other versions are bugged. I don't know how stable the game is, i only played the game for a few minutes.

Robert Broglia joined XDA the other day and mentioned in a thread on his Genesis emulator (talking about adding Sega CD support) that one of his next projects was going to be a GBA emulator for Androids. He created some of the best emulators such as SNES9x EX, MD.emu, PCE.emu, etc. Hopefully the project steps up GBA compatibility. Both Gameboid and VGBA are far from perfect (though at least VGBA is still being constantly updated).

Upvote 0
I wasn't referring to sound issues unfortunately. I can't play the game at all. The game loads and you play for a couple minutes and then when you reach a certain point the game just resets. I've tried different copies of the roms and the same thing happens with each one.
I haven't tested it extensively but the latest version of VGBA seems to work pretty well with The Lost Age. It's slower than Gameboid (meaning you'll have to make do with some frameskipping) and the sound is a bit scratchy, but i haven't gotten a crash just yet (only played for a couple of minutes so far, not long enough to find out whether there's any crashes). Unlike most versions of Gameboid, the sound isn't playing at the wrong pitch, as long as you set the sound quality to the highest in the advanced options menu (and set the sound latency to 100ms). It might run better depending on your phone. I've an older single core Samsung Fascinate and it's slow without frameskipping on.

This emulator costs money however, so know what you're getting into. It's being constantly updated though, unlike Gameboid which seems dead. Just a few versions ago, VGBA had the same sound pitch problems in GS2 as most Gameboid versions. Or you can wait and see how Robert Broglia's GBA emulator turns out if he ever gets to it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones