midnight assassin likes this.
  2. lukesdiesel

lukesdiesel Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the newest version yet.

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

4. RubberDucker

RubberDucker Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, I guess I did. I apologize for the extra spam.

Frisco, I'm still in shock that...

1. You left 1.5!
    2. You ROOTED!

:)

5. Frisco

Not "spam," amigo; it's all good.

Well, as an old Linux hand I found myself propelled into The Mystic Land of Root. ;)

6. wildtouch83

wildtouch83 Well-Known Member

I have been contemplating CyanogenTazz for a few days now. I think after I backup my sd card and wipe, I am going to flash the most recent version. Glad to hear you are enjoying it, Frisco.

7. Frisco

Thanks.. I have a recovery image each of Tazz and Kaos, while my default is still xtrROM 3.0.3.

2.2 has its stuff, but I guess 2.1 is still good enough for me on the Eris.

Perhaps I'll change my mind when the Froyo bugs (syncing, camera, etc) get stomped.

8. jps

jps Well-Known Member

just switched from elb to cyanogentazz, couldnt be happier! this rom is pretty damn beastly!

9. Frisco

Tell us about your settings: launcher and overclocking, for example.

Also, did you tear out any stock apps?

10. Slewman

Slewman Well-Known Member

im running kaosfroyo v24 and its awesome!

wondering if tazz is any better...

i have a question though, if i do a nand backup of my current setup, does that save apps and message and everything? how do i restore nand backups?

11. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Well-Known Member

Yes a nandroid backup saves EVERYTHING.
    Boot to recovery > backup and restore > nandroid backup > press trackball to go
    To restore
    Boot to recovery > wipe data and dalvik! > go back > backup and restore > restore nandroid > select your backup

Frisco the cool thing about cyanogen 2.2 roms is after you wipe and update, it automatically re-downloads and installs all of your previous apps so you don't need to worry about making backups with titanium or anything else. It's a cyanogen feature.

12. Frisco

There's a setting in menu > settings privacy > automatic restore which, when checked, reinstates apps, etc to where they were before the last big change.

In the same area is "back up my data."

The only trouble I'm having with this Tazz version of Froyo is an annoyance: that darn Sprint branded lock screen and notification area. I haven't found a way to replace them yet, although I do know that the "no lock" app bypasses the lock screen, however I like the horizontal unlock feature and don't want to remove it.

13. adrenalinerush12

adrenalinerush12 Well-Known Member

You can totally disable the text on the lock screen and notification area by going into spare parts or the cyanogen settings and turning off Display PLMN and Display SPN.

Frisco likes this.
  14. Frisco

Don't you just hate it when you're googling around for a root hack and it turns out it's a menu setting? :eek: :D

A thousand thank-yous, adrenalinerush; my Tazz phone is now Sprint free.

15. adrenalinerush12

adrenalinerush12 Well-Known Member

Haha, you're very welcome.

16. Shnuddy

Shnuddy Well-Known Member

I'm loving this ROM, although I keep going back to V!. Seems like all the updates have something that isn't working right, while the first version has everything I need. :)

One reason I've been sticking with the Froyo ROMs is because I can finally use the wireless network at home. Even rooted, the 2.1 don't seem to work (home is the only place I've run into trouble). It's not major, but it was always something that has annoyed me. Now with 2.2, it links up with no problems.

17. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I've been using Tazz V5 since the first hour it was released (by coincidence I happened to click on the link within seconds of the "V5" announcement). I did a Wipe+V5 install, so my results might be a bit different from others that did an overlay install from prior versions.

The auto-restore thing was a big and pleasant surprise - and it was amazingly fast, too.

I was also a little shocked that my WiFi settings were restored from "the cloud" - I don't explicitly remember turning on auto-backups in the past (I did "sample" a very early Kaos Froyo ROM back in V2 or V3 days - maybe it went into the cloud then).

On the plus side:

- Cyanogen ROMs allow all four screen orientations
    - The browser seems to render faster and seems very stable
    - WiFi works now
    - GPS works
    - MMS works (w/ a fix if you Wipe+V5)
    - Lots of free memory (100 Mb typ after clearing auto-start apps)
    - Edit: Camera Works! Don't use the "Camera" app, use "Camera Magic" instead!

On the minus side:

- I'm not sure I understand how the proximity sensor / screen blanking thing works during calls - perhaps it is just "different" than Sense ROMs, but I haven't got it figured out yet.
    - No backlights for the softkeys (I think the dev might have a handle on that already)

I really, really like this ROM, and the perks that come with Froyo.

eu1

18. Frisco

I had the camera problems for a while last night, and then I decided to do ye olde live battery pull.

When fired back up the camera was ok, but Gallery loaded wierd, showing the screen touch areas, etc.

So, ye olde live battery pull once more. Now all is well; the camera magic app works as it should and the Gallery loads nicely (I'm at 729/729).

I installed the V5 fresh following all three wipes.

erisuser1 likes this.
  19. erisuser1

If you want some fun times, rotate your phone while Gallery is painting thumbnails. (No crashes, but some crazy graphics)

Hot-pulling the battery does something to the camera? Or are you saying that was your last recourse? I got "stuck" on the camera app screen every time I tried it: no response to any single button or softkey press, and I think that even adb went into "offline" mode, so I couldn't try and kill processes from the PC ... but Vol-Up+Send+End did what it should - force a reboot.

If you ever get stuck, try Vol-Up+Send+End before you pull the battery; I *think* it is doing a clean shutdown, because it takes 5-6 seconds before "lights out".

I'll look into Camera Magic; thanks for the tip.

eu1

20. wildtouch83

wildtouch83 Well-Known Member

I knew there were some camera bugs, but, do you have any issues with mms?

21. erisuser1

Thank You Frisco!

I had overlooked Camera Magic, and just tried the stock "Camera" app (which locks up the phone).

I though that I was without a Camera - it seems that Froyo might just become my new daily-use ROM.

Awesome. Getting my phone rooted and OC'ed made it new all over again on 2.1... and with 2.2, my phone is new again as of two days ago.

eu1

22. Frisco

That was one of the things that I found disconcerting when trying out the Gallery; as I waited for it to load it occurred to me that things were not right and had the appearance of a Peter Max black light poster. Oh, the memories. :D

I was about to hang up this ROM altogether when those things showed themselves on my Eris last night. The hot pulls took care of it all, plus I was very happy to see the settings restored and all apps working normally.

I'm just a live battery pull freak, going back to Samsung Instinct behaviors, often following an update.

When I came to the Eris, I was surprised it was recommended over a simple shut-down and boot up (I think Caddyman was the first here to point it out to me).

23. Frisco

I just sent my first pic from Gallery via mms on this ROM; no issues.

24. Batbriel

Batbriel Well-Known Member

for some reason I can't, Im considering may be a reflash, or somethin, cuz I really like this ROM :)

25. Frisco

What is happening when you try it, Batbriel?