• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GREAT Froyo ROM - CyanogenTazz!

Just flashed this ROM. So far I really like it. Trying TW Launcher instead of ADW, just to see the differences. I ran KaosV23 for a while, which I liked, then Frisco suggested XTRrom might be better, so I tried it. Last night went back to Kaos24 but somehow I just didn't like the feel, so have been playing with a few. I think I will stick with this one for a few days and see how it is. One thing though, I really liked the intuitiveness of the Sense dialer (but not the lag). I tried Dialer One, but I'm not very fond of it. Any suggestions for others that may be similar to the Sense dialer?

Upvote 0
Ok guys, so I'm finally taking the plunge... had my lucky, bug free Eris since Early Dec and love it to death, but I'm ready to take it to the next level.

I have one (ok, two) questions:
1. If I use the 1 click root app from the market, will it find this ROM on my SD card and flash it automatically or is that something I would have to do seperately after I'm rooted?
2. I feel like a cheater using the 1 click root app... will I feel more fulfilled and geeky if I do it the more manual way? ;)
3. Ok, one more... I've been lurking around a lot here in the root corner, but I still haven't seen much about unrooting. Is it a breeze? Is basically just flashing the official 2.1 RUU? (or ROM? not sure which is which)

Thanks guys... I'm excited to delve deeper into this baby's guts!

Upvote 0
No matter which of those methods for rooting you choose, just take it slowly and deliberately; don't rush.

Look at the steps involved and mentally run through each step, actually doing nothing at the first run-through.

Then get going on it. ;)

I used the good ole method in the first post of the rooting forum here: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html

It says it's for 1.5 to 2.1 root, but my Eris had the 2.1 OTA in it and all went well (I got mad at the point of downloading the zip file from the site with all the redirects, but that subsided when I finally got it going ;)).

Anyway, about un-rooting: that is beyond me because I see it as going from Sarah Brightman to Bette Midler. Some do it because they need to for an exchange or whatever. The un-rooting regimen has become easier as it's a work in progress, but I'll bet you'll never need to do that.

Reactions: bjf88
Upvote 0
Thanks Frisco, I definitely have gone over the illustrated tutorial a few times and seem to have an understanding of the steps. I also watched a co worker do it from the halfway point.

Any insight on question #1? Or should I just go the step by step route with this ROM? That is instead of the 1 click root app + this Froyo ROM.

EDIT: I understand what you mean about unrooting... I guess my resoning would be to unroot if I ever was going to sell it (maybe to fund the Droid 2? Or please God the Eris 2!! Haha). But I guess most people wouldn't mind/know the difference buying a rooted phone.

Upvote 0
I am posting this info over at xda for the rom developer, but, any of you guys that are using this CM6 ROM, I have quite a list of apps that I am unable to successfully install. I have tried both internally and externally and the install still fails.

Since the list is rather long, I am just going to post a link to my appbrain list where I have them saved. The irony is that I cannot even get appbrain to install on my phone.

ddmciltrot's froyo

Upvote 0
I am posting this info over at xda for the rom developer, but, any of you guys that are using this CM6 ROM, I have quite a list of apps that I am unable to successfully install. I have tried both internally and externally and the install still fails.

Since the list is rather long, I am just going to post a link to my appbrain list where I have them saved. The irony is that I cannot even get appbrain to install on my phone.

ddmciltrot's froyo

Are they just not showing up in the Market? When I first installed V5, my market did not show many of my apps. Following advice I found somewhere in that thread, I cleared the market cache, rebooted and the apps were back. I did switch back to V1, but that was because of the MMS problem.

Also, did you come from a 2.1 ROM? Is your card still partitioned? I know that causes a problem with the phone reading the sd card, don't know if it affects installation of your apps.

Upvote 0
I DID IT!!! Decided against the 1 click root app, I'm a hands on kind of girl...

So it's great, super fast, LOVE the live wallpaper, etc etc.

BUT.... I have no market... no Google setup... no sync options, just add exchange account... am I missing something here?? It's possible I may have missed something the first time it loaded, I did this the last hour at work and we got slammed, so I was going back and forth and may have missed the setup screen, but the lock screen was waiting for me when I got back to my desk and after that, just ADW or TW launcher.

Do I need to reflash?

Upvote 0
I DID IT!!! Decided against the 1 click root app, I'm a hands on kind of girl...

BUT.... I have no market... no Google setup... no sync options, just add exchange account... am I missing something here?? It's possible I may have missed something the first time it loaded, I did this the last hour at work and we got slammed, so I was going back and forth and may have missed the setup screen, but the lock screen was waiting for me when I got back to my desk and after that, just ADW or TW launcher.

Do I need to reflash?

Did u flashed the google apps zip file after flashing the ROM?

Upvote 0

Do I need to reflash?

Depending on what ROM you flashed, you may have to flash the google apps separately. The instructions for the ROM should tell you what "extras" you need to flash.

Upvote 0

Do I need to reflash?

Wipe Cache, Flash this ROM, then Flash Google Apps, THEN Reboot. If done out of order, you hit the error you're experiencing.

Upvote 0
This effing phone is so damn particular about how i boot into recovery!!! vol down+power... regular boot.... vol up+power.... regular boot... wtf.

Press the volume key (up or down), and continue pressing it.

Then press and hold the End/Power key.

Do not release either button until the splash screen with the skateboarding Droids appears; then feel free to release buttons.

My phone does what you report - when I am in a hurry and I don't hold the buttons down long enough.

eu1

Upvote 0
Got the idea to plug into my pc and move the google zip ot my root from there. Maybe?

I'm reading between the lines here, but your suggestion will:

1) Work with the "USB-MS toggle" inside Amon_RA recovery
2) Not work with Tazz V5 booted because your SD card is still partitioned.

If you use the #1 option, here is what I would do:

- Get your phone well charged (> 80%)
- boot to Amon_RA
- turn on the menu item "USB-MS toggle"
- back up your ENTIRE SD card to your PC hard drive
- copy the Google Apps zip file to the root folder of the E: ( or F: or G: ) drive (wherever your SD card is mounted)
- when the above copy completes, use the "Safely Remove Hardware" control in your system tray to unmount the SD drive from the PC (wait for the balloon pop-up that says it is OK
- Turn off the USB-MS toggle in Amon_RA
- Flash the Google Apps zip using the Amon_RA menu
- Use the Amon_RA menu to re-partition the SD card; enter values of "0" for both the "ext" partition and the "swap" partition; this will return your card to 100% VFAT
- Pull the USB cable, and then re-insert it
- Repeat the USB-MS toggle, and now RESTORE your backup of the SD card
- Undo the USB-MS toggle (using "Safely Remove Hardware" on the PC first)
- Reboot the phone

Note that doing this makes it difficult to return back to a A2SD ROM - you might find it convenient to have another SD card (one of which is partitioned, and the other not).

HTH

eu1

Upvote 0
I'm reading between the lines here, but your suggestion will:

1) Work with the "USB-MS toggle" inside Amon_RA recovery
2) Not work with Tazz V5 booted because your SD card is still partitioned.

If you use the #1 option, here is what I would do:

- Get your phone well charged (> 80%)
- boot to Amon_RA
- turn on the menu item "USB-MS toggle"
- back up your ENTIRE SD card to your PC hard drive
- copy the Google Apps zip file to the root folder of the E: ( or F: or G: ) drive (wherever your SD card is mounted)
- when the above copy completes, use the "Safely Remove Hardware" control in your system tray to unmount the SD drive from the PC (wait for the balloon pop-up that says it is OK
- Turn off the USB-MS toggle in Amon_RA
- Flash the Google Apps zip using the Amon_RA menu
- Use the Amon_RA menu to re-partition the SD card; enter values of "0" for both the "ext" partition and the "swap" partition; this will return your card to 100% VFAT
- Pull the USB cable, and then re-insert it
- Repeat the USB-MS toggle, and now RESTORE your backup of the SD card
- Undo the USB-MS toggle (using "Safely Remove Hardware" on the PC first)
- Reboot the phone

Note that doing this makes it difficult to return back to a A2SD ROM - you might find it convenient to have another SD card (one of which is partitioned, and the other not).

HTH

eu1

I did not have my SD card partitioned, so I just booted like normal, plugged it in as usb, moved the google zip from downloads to root of sd on my pc, unplugged, booted to recovery (finally, haha), loaded the google zip from sd. I feel slightly like a genius, however unfounded that may be :D. Simple solution to a seemingly complicated problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones