• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MetroPCS Is Now Using Deep Packet Inspection To Stop Unlimited Tethering

anubis2048

Android Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2015
McMurdo Station,Antarctica
About a week ago I noticed that my tethering usage was climbing even though I had "fixed" their little method of detecting tethering. Change TTL settings and different user agent right? Yeah, but now it doesn't work.

MetroPCS is owned by T-Mobile to those who are unaware. MetroPCS is now employing the use of deep packet inspection to detect YouTube traffic.... This could be a bad thing for those who depend on their hotspot as a main source of internet. Are they introducing BingeOn to MetroPCS? Who knows, but the fact that they are using the same methods of detecting YouTube streaming can only be a bad thing.

I only post this thread to warn others because until now, this was the easiest way of getting unlimited tethering on the ZTE Zmax Pro without root or custom roms or a VPN of any kind. From now on you will need to use UltraSurf or a similar VPN to browse YouTube and I have a suspicion that Steam is detected now too....

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

FoxFi USB works. (Obviously not on the Zmax Pro)

Honestly, I'm about to switch to Cricket and see what I can do there. My Zmax is unlocked so it should allow Cricket to work on it. Funny thing is that Cricket does not allow any type of tethering, and I've heard that a lot of phones let you tether anyway... That's hilarious and I wanna try it.

Upvote 0
FoxFi USB works. (Obviously not on the Zmax Pro)

Honestly, I'm about to switch to Cricket and see what I can do there. My Zmax is unlocked so it should allow Cricket to work on it. Funny thing is that Cricket does not allow any type of tethering, and I've heard that a lot of phones let you tether anyway... That's hilarious and I wanna try it.

My tethering bypass goes as follows

Unrooted zmax pro on unlimited plan via metro

Rooted Samsung Galaxy core prime

I enable hotspot via Zmax pro and foxfi I connect wirelessly to my rooted phone which has a TTL editor installed and open pdanet+ on it on (the rooted phone) and use pdanet to share internet between the rooted phone and my pc

Upvote 0
I ended up switching to my samsung phone by accident. Dummy me thought if i reactivated my On5 that i could switch my sim between my On5 and Zmax Pro back and forth without having to visit a MetroPCS. Smh failed experiment. So guess ill push the envelope a little toward rooting the Zmax Pro. Ive honestly thought about finding someone who babied their MetroPCS og Zmax or has a new one and trade them my Zmax Pro.....Almost 60 days old almost mint with case

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones