• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting idea but:
1. I would not want to see the 1.3 front camera video on my 50" TV. the picture quality due to low resolution would be awful
2. you would probably not be able to use the 8MP back camera for video calls since the network will not be able to support HD streaming even on 4G

1. Thats why i was thinking about using the back camera.

2. That's why i left the HD question for last, since I realized it being more far fetched, but I wanted to give ppl something to think about lol. However, just having a much better resolution even without HD would be great and maybe being able to control how much the scaling is on each tv? Just some ideas.

Upvote 0
no your instinct does, or atleast ik mine does. Sprint has a service called mobile sync which is great. It stores all of your contacts online so if you order a new phone via interenet or telesales or you loose yours your new phone upon activation will boot up with them as soon as it can be connected to sprints data network.

If u don't currently have it talk to a sprint rep about it. Its free and a great tool from sprint, and only sprint
My Sprint HTC Hero didn't read the files my Instinct backed up that way. If you want something to do while waiting on the EVO, open a Gmail account or edit your contacts and calendar. When you first set up your phone, at least this is the way it was on my Hero, it asked for my Gmail address or it gave me the option of creating a new one. As soon as I entered my address and password, it automatically transferred my contacts and calendar from Gmail. Piece of cake. That's why you should edit your contacts now. If you don't you could have a bunch on contacts on your phone that you don't want.

Upvote 0
ok now im real confused. The apps are stored in ROM????

Can you load and run apps from the microsd card?
I looked down through the posts and I don't believe this was answered fully. I have the HTC Hero and in all likelihood it works pretty much like the EVO will work. The apps that you download from the Android Market get stored on ROM. It's my understanding that Google is working on a way of being able to store apps on the SD card, but they'd have to use some kind of encryption to protect the developers code, so people can't steal it.

Still, with an additional 8GB internal memory, I have to believe that would be used for app storage. My Hero only has 512 MB ROM and nothing extra, so this would be great.

The SD Card is used for some files, but mostly for documents, media files like pictures, videos, music, ring tones, etc. I keep price lists and brochures in PDF format on the SD card that I can e-mail to someone if I'm not in the office.

Reactions: kritzell
Upvote 0
I looked down through the posts and I don't believe this was answered fully. I have the HTC Hero and in all likelihood it works pretty much like the EVO will work. The apps that you download from the Android Market get stored on ROM. It's my understanding that Google is working on a way of being able to store apps on the SD card, but they'd have to use some kind of encryption to protect the developers code, so people can't steal it.

Still, with an additional 8GB internal memory, I have to believe that would be used for app storage. My Hero only has 512 MB ROM and nothing extra, so this would be great.

The SD Card is used for some files, but mostly for documents, media files like pictures, videos, music, ring tones, etc. I keep price lists and brochures in PDF format on the SD card that I can e-mail to someone if I'm not in the office.

If your Hero is rooted you can use app2sd to actually install apps on the SD card.....

Here's a good question to ponder or speculate.... How long do you think it will be before a root exploit is discovered for the EVO 4G?

Upvote 0
I've never tried to root my Hero because I heard it voids the warranty.

If you returned it rooted yes it could void the warranty, it is very simple to run a program called RUU to return it to the standard Sprint ROM....In fact I just did this to sell my Hero, going to be using a Motorola Droid for the next 30 days thanks to Google IO.....then I will be only 2 weeks from my EVO!!!

Upvote 0
If you returned it rooted yes it could void the warranty, it is very simple to run a program called RUU to return it to the standard Sprint ROM....In fact I just did this to sell my Hero, going to be using a Motorola Droid for the next 30 days thanks to Google IO.....then I will be only 2 weeks from my EVO!!!
Yeah, I remember you said that Google gave you a free Droid. Maybe that's something else you'll be able to sell on e-bay?

Upvote 0
I've never tried to root my Hero because I heard it voids the warranty.

Technically you are correct but it's so easy to reverse a child could do it. All you would have to do is install the original rom build that was provided when you bought the phone and your back to un-rooted, only takes a few seconds to do or undo in this case.

Upvote 0
Here's a good question to ponder or speculate.... How long do you think it will be before a root exploit is discovered for the EVO 4G?

Wouldn't a better question be:
Why am I locked out of having rights on a device I purchase? Imagine if you went out and bought Windows 7, but the admin account was password protected by microsoft. Maybe you download and install Ubuntu or Debian or SuSe (or whatever flavor you enjoy), but the root password is preset and you have no su rights on your account.

...seems like a step in the wrong direction...seems very "apple"... but whatever.

Upvote 0
If anyone wants to get prepared ahead of time...

image-3215015-10550783
ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | HTC Evo 4G Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

I was going to hit up phantomskinz like I did with my Pre, but the EVO isn't on that site yet...

I may only get the front, in case something like the Touchstone comes out - I'd rather have little resistance to the wireless charger. I think I also read that the back cover is matte (please correct me if I'm wrong), in which case I'd like to leave that surface bare, for I am having no problems with my matte battery cover on my Pre when it comes to scratches.

This is probably why I went with phantomskinz...

http://phantomskinz.com/htchd2.aspx (I'm pretty sure the skin for the EVO is the same for the HD2, but I could be wrong)

$10 instead of $15. Have anyone tried the new "matte" skins that are available? Dunno if Zagg sells such skins, but I see them on phantomskinz.

Upvote 0
Technically you are correct but it's so easy to reverse a child could do it. All you would have to do is install the original rom build that was provided when you bought the phone and your back to un-rooted, only takes a few seconds to do or undo in this case.

Are there many cases of a user bricking their device because of rooting? If the device cannot turn on or do anything (hense 'brick') besides throw it at someone, of course, would there be a way to return the device to its original ROM?

Thank you.

P.S. Pardon me for double posting...

Upvote 0
Are there many cases of a user bricking their device because of rooting? If the device cannot turn on or do anything (hense 'brick') besides throw it at someone, of course, would there be a way to return the device to its original ROM?

Thank you.

P.S. Pardon me for double posting...

No there is a 0% chance of bricking your phone because anything you did inside the Linux kernel in the first place will/can be totally erased by re-flashing your phone with a stock rom. There are lots of ways to irreversibly brick a phone but rooting it isn't one of them.

Let me try to change the terminology a bit, by gaining su access (su=super user) or "rooting" an Android phone all your really doing is changing your account type. Look at Windows for example I'm sure many of you are quite familiar with that.

You start as a typical user account and upgrade that account to admin that's all it really is, you may mess up somehow if you try to play around in a terminal bash prompt window but highly unlikely you would even try especially if you didn't know what you were doing. Even if you did you'd just re-flash and end up where you started.

Don't want to double post so I'll just add to this a bit here is a screenshot of my rooted (and somewhat modded) Samsung Moment:

screenshot.jpg

As you can see no silver tab at the bottom and even though you can't see it since my screen capture app doesn't snap it the top taskbar isn't silver it's a blueish black gradient with customized icons. Also this isn't an HTC made device and this device techically doesn't have Android 2.1 yet, although it is running a DD10 leaked 2.1 Eclair ROM build.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones