• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rooting means you gain "root access" to the phone and can change pretty much everything on it. Sort of like being the admin on your computer - or being in god mode.

App2SD means storing apps on your microSD card - which you cant currently do. You HAVE to store Apps on your ROM to run them. You CAN offload some important files onto the MicroSD (like navigation programs with map files, for example).

Even though you're a Cavs fan, I still think you're good peeps. Thanks for the 411!

Okay, but from what I'm understanding, the Android apps don't take up a lot of space, correct? So that would mean that the 1GB of ROM that'll be on the EVO will be more than enough for a ton of apps to be installed.

But just to get this straight, prior to the apps actually being "installed," you can still store the files on the storage card for backup, right?

Upvote 0
Even though you're a Cavs fan, I still think you're good peeps. Thanks for the 411!

Okay, but from what I'm understanding, the Android apps don't take up a lot of space, correct? So that would mean that the 1GB of ROM that'll be on the EVO will be more than enough for a ton of apps to be installed.

Correct. Since Apps can offload large chunks of data onto the MicroSD there really aren't many HUGE apps, like you would find on the iphone.

But just to get this straight, prior to the apps actually being "installed," you can still store the files on the storage card for backup, right?

Yes, but they cannot be ran from there - it has to get installed. So for a Windows analogy on your computer, you can put the .exe file on there but cant run it from there.

I don't have an Android phone but I'm relatively almost positive this is how it works :D

Upvote 0
LETS GO CAVS

Just needed to throw that out there.

I still don't understand how the "Internal Storage" works on the Incredible, especially since apps right now don't recognize it.

Just acts as a Hard Drive or SD card. Stores music, movies, photos etc. But you can't store apps on it.

Yes, you can backup to it.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Pretty sure you have to root the phone to use App2SD.

Android does not natively support it...yet.

You don't need to root your phone to install apks off the SD, all I have to do is download an apk off the internet or anywhere else put it on the sd card and let the app do it's thing, no root required. This doesn't store any apps on the sdcard it simply installs them to whenever they would normally go, one downside is they won't be automatically updated like apps you may download from the market but you do NOT need to root the phone to get apps installed this way. The android market isn't the ONLY place to get apps it's just the most widely known.

Edit: I read his original question again, I guess my statement is half false, you cannot run apps off the SDCard but can install them off it.

Upvote 0
Just a thought about whether to buy at best buy or sprint. If you buy at Sprint you will have your contacts transferred right there and also the Sprint Rep will show you how to use the phone. The other thing that the rep can do is put an employee discount on your account for being an employee of many companies. Best Buy usually doesn't know how to do this. This is very important when setting up a new account as this discount will apply right away and sometimes waive the activation fee also.
Best Buy can transfer your contacts too. The one by my house doesn't have a cellbrite machine but they do have a Genie which is almost the same thing. Also if you already have an Android phone save your contacts to Gmail and it will sync itself when you get the EVO :)

Upvote 0
I may start putting my contacts on gmail so I can just grab them when the Evo is released...

ROFLMAO...Me too! Actually, all I did was just create a .csv file for my contacts and this year's appointments and then import into google. Worked like a charm. Only thing I had to do was delete all the existing contacts, so I didn't have to merge too many contacts.

Upvote 0
Apps are stored on the OS partition, processed through RAM when opened or running in the background, and cached on ROM when/if required.

Typically apps are stored on default locations:
For Default Programs or free apps they are typically stored in... /system/app
Paid apps... /data/app-private

Thanks, just trying to get an idea of how much space for installed apps evo will have. so it uses a portion of the 1gb rom part. thanks

Upvote 0
We'll see your Yanks at the end of October...

Please bring it, we have an amazing appetite we'd love to fill!!!!
tongue.gif

Can anyone elaborate on the t-mobile news that there network is supposed to be 21mbps HSPA+ and is supposed to better then Sprints 4g and LTE?? I'm going back and forth with my friend about this!!! thanks guys!

here's the article.....http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=3356

Upvote 0
I doubt my Instinct has any sort of functionality to export my contacts...probably all going to do it manually. I only have like 30 numbers tho so no biggy.
It is nice. Every time I get a new Android phone BAM! right in the kisser! my contacts are there. (Family Guy reference...sorry) :)

Upvote 0
no your instinct does, or atleast ik mine does. Sprint has a service called mobile sync which is great. It stores all of your contacts online so if you order a new phone via interenet or telesales or you loose yours your new phone upon activation will boot up with them as soon as it can be connected to sprints data network.

If u don't currently have it talk to a sprint rep about it. Its free and a great tool from sprint, and only sprint

Upvote 0
I know the sports talk is all in good fun, but we should try to stay on topic as much as possible.

Which brings me to a question and a discussion starter.

Does anyone know if the EVO recognizes when the kickstand is out? like if its out its possible to automatically turn into landscape mode? i haven't watched all the videos so idk if this has been shown in one of those videos.

Also, I was thinking as I laid down last night, about video calls. Now I haven't used any type of video communicating app or program on phone or computer so I apologize if I thought this wrong and I haven't read this anywhere. Wouldn't it be great if you could hook up the EVO to a tv using the hdmi out port and use the back camera to video call someone?? Like have picture in picture on the tv instead of on the phone's screen?? How bout the video call in HD since the back camera is capable of that??

Sounds like a good surprise feature to me if its possible. Or video conference call. Have three way or more video calling each other... It would look like if you played Halo split screen or something. Thats the only way I can explain what i would think it would look like.

On a side note: I know this was like 700 posts ago but i saw this and thought of what TS was talking about. It was funny to me and I thought TS and any other homosexuals on this forum would appreciate it.

YouTube - That's So Gay - Wanda Sykes

Upvote 0
I know the sports talk is all in good fun, but we should try to stay on topic as much as possible.

Which brings me to a question and a discussion starter.

Does anyone know if the EVO recognizes when the kickstand is out? like if its out its possible to automatically turn into landscape mode? i haven't watched all the videos so idk if this has been shown in one of those videos.

Also, I was thinking as I laid down last night, about video calls. Now I haven't used any type of video communicating app or program on phone or computer so I apologize if I thought this wrong and I haven't read this anywhere. Wouldn't it be great if you could hook up the EVO to a tv using the hdmi out port and use the back camera to video call someone?? Like have picture in picture on the tv instead of on the phone's screen?? How bout the video call in HD since the back camera is capable of that??

Sounds like a good surprise feature to me if its possible. Or video conference call. Have three way or more video calling each other... It would look like if you played Halo split screen or something. Thats the only way I can explain what i would think it would look like.

On a side note: I know this was like 700 posts ago but i saw this and thought of what TS was talking about. It was funny to me and I thought TS and any other homosexuals on this forum would appreciate it.

YouTube - That's So Gay - Wanda Sykes

To my knowledge there is no sensor or other mechanism that detects the kickstand, theoretically it wouldn't be needed since the accelerometer would just notice you have the phone in landscape. I mean I could be wrong but I doubt it would go further than it beng a piece of steel, aluminum or plastic that sticks out and makes the phone stand up.

Upvote 0

interesting idea but:
1. I would not want to see the 1.3 front camera video on my 50" TV. the picture quality due to low resolution would be awful
2. you would probably not be able to use the 8MP back camera for video calls since the network will not be able to support HD streaming even on 4G

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones