• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Protector discussion

Which Screen Protector is your favourite?

• Anymode Oleophobic

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Pro-Tec

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • MFX 5-in-1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin Fields

• Case-Mate Anti-Glare

• Zagg Invisible Shield

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • 3M Scotch Film Lite Matte

• 3M Scotch Film Lite

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Rock Anti-Fingerprint

• Terrapin

• Kolay

• FoneM8

• Vikuiti CV8 by 3M

• Vikuiti ADQC27 by 3M

• Vikuiti DQC160 by 3M

• GadgetinBox

• BAAS Matte Clear (Anti-Glare)

• Trizmo Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • MOFRED

• Steinheil

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • XO Skins

• Skinomi

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
I got a free ZAGG with my SGIII today. I had a captivate floating around in my purse, on the dashboard, in my pocket and wherever it landed for over a year with no case and no protector on it. It has a few minor scratches that are barely visible.

I put the protector on and will see how I like it. The phone is still fabulous with it on, way more fabulous than the SG Captivate so I am OK with it for now.

Upvote 0
Has anyone applied a wet mount type on the S3 yet? I ask because this has a physical button and was concerned that could be an entry point for water as opposed to my solid faced Rezound

I use them all the time on my other phones. I don't mind the texture or decrease in screen quality, as i feel like it's more protective

Upvote 0
Has anyone applied a wet mount type on the S3 yet? I ask because this has a physical button and was concerned that could be an entry point for water as opposed to my solid faced Rezound

I use them all the time on my other phones. I don't mind the texture or decrease in screen quality, as i feel like it's more protective

I did. I put on the Spigen HD Flex wet and I didn't experience any issue. Spray the protector and not the phone (obviously) and when you squeegee the bubbles, do it gently away from the button. To be safe, I wouldn't go around using the phone at least for 30mins-1hr afterwards. It came out pretty good.

Frankly, I think there's always a chance, but I think for the most part these phones are built to withstand a little bit of moisture. I mean, there will be times when you're sweating and talking on the phone so it has to withstand a little bit of moisture. Don't douse it water and I think in most cases it'll be fine.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

Been reading up on all of your discussions/suggestions and I have a few questions:

So it seems like there's a few different high quality suggestions for screen protectors:
Zagg (I value screen brightness/clarity/quality and from what I hear, though protection is great, the brightness isn't the best, so I'm not going with this)
Steinheil (seems like the best value to me right now)
Martin Fields (on amazon this is too expensive for my taste and haven't heard enough good reviews about this to consider)

So, I'm interested in Steinheil but I don't know exactly which one to buy.

Steinheil Ultra Nano Clear
Steinheil Flex HD

I'm looking for something that can cover the whole screen ideally, but I'm wondering if the Ultra Nano Clear is noticeably undercut (as described in their details --"It is also cut smaller than the screen to prevent any bubbles and lifting from the edges of the screen protector") and if it has a significant better clarity than the Flex HD.

Any thoughts on this?

And lastly, what about the not so good reviews for the FlexHD from the few people who have reviewed it on Amazon? Any comments about those?

Thanks in advanced.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,
And lastly, what about the not so good reviews for the FlexHD from the few people who have reviewed it on Amazon? Any comments about those?

It seems to me that the negative reviews are from people who had difficulty putting it on. If you warp the screen protector because it got stuck to the screen while you are trying to pull it off it means you didn't moisten the protector enough. It's not as easy as the ads always make it seem because aligning it with the home button and the earpiece hole will take a few tries, but it can be done. If you've ever put on a Zagg's invisashield - it's basically the same thing.

I did mine in the bathroom with the hot water running to minimize dust in the air. I did have to reposition it twice before I got it down perfectly but I think the key is to keep the protector AND your fingers moist. You won't get fingerprints on the adhesive side as long as your fingers are moist.

Now, whether or not you like that "orange peel" effect is a different story. I don't mind it at all actually but some people do.

The FlexHD covers the whole screen except for holes for the front camera, earpiece speaker, and home button. But - it does cover the whole screen otherwise.

Oh, and it comes with 2 protectors.

Edit: also - squeegee the bubbles out gently. Some people do it so harshly that it may stretch the protector. If you stretch the protector while it's drying, it's not going to snap back into shape because it'll get stuck on the screen. Apply enough pressure to squeegee the biggest bubbles, but don't waste time trying to get out the smaller ones. They *will* disappear within 1-2 days. I think I had about 6 or so small bubbles which are all gone now.

Upvote 0

i've put zaggs on 3 original razrs, 1 chocolate, 2 laptops, and 1 slider smartphone with zero problems with moisture getting in.

1) i dont use a ridiculous amount of spray. you dont need that much and the more you use, the longer it takes to work it out.

2) i always had a papertowel or something near the edge that i was squeegeeing the liquid towards. that way, no liquid would run off into the device.

Upvote 0
I was so tempted to go without a screen protector as I love the feel of the glass, but just can't bring myself to do it through fear of scratches appearing even though I'm ultra protective of my phones, giving them good re-sale value.

I'm exactly the same.

The S3 probably won't even scratch, but I take really good care of my tech, so I'm happier with it being on there.

Upvote 0
I've got a favor to ask for those with the Spigen/SGP/Steinheil screen protector installed. I'm looking for an accurate measurement of the material. Please help.

I'm looking for the amount of usable material there is between the highest and lowest cut out. I'm guessing there is a cut out for the button and a cut out for the speaker/Front Facing Cam.
For comparison I'd also be interested in the measurements of the total protector material including the cut outs, so top to bottom. A width would be good to note as well, though the Galaxy S III screen should be a hair wider than my Evo.

I have the Evo 4G LTE (U.S. - Sprint) with Spigen/SGP/Steinheil Ultra Optics installed (self cut), but just noticed there is a new product line only for the Galaxy S III so far. The new Nano Crystal and Nano Optics. I'm interested in possibly trying to retrofit one for my device since Spigen won't be producing them for it (I'm guessing based on their past actions).

Also, since the Nano line is so new, it is hard to find reviews or comparisons to the old products, so if anyone has them installed I'd love to hear their thoughts.
Specifically the Nano Crystal, I'm wondering exactly how well it resists oils.
Specifically the Nano Optics, I'm wondering if the clarity has been increased compared to the older Ultra Optics line.

I'm willing to use my first 'like', even though I vowed not to use the 'like' system, for anyone that can help me out with the measuring. :D Now that's some high praise for somebuddy. ;)
Thanks in advance

(By the way, I've asked for measurements from Spigen in the past and they will not provide them. So this scenario I've laid out above is my best/only hope)

Upvote 0
Never heard of it, but it looks pretty nice. Being a rigid type of screen protector, I wonder if it coveres the full screen.

I just contacted them and they confirmed that it does indeed cover the entire front screen. They had it designed such that it is an exact fit over the original glass - so it's basically like adding an additional layer of tempered glass on top of the gorilla glass.

Upvote 0
That's true, but the S3 will ship with the new Gorilla Glass 3. Youtube videos have shown people scratching their S3, or attempting to scratch, with coins, keys, etc, and it doesn't. Is there a chance it can get scratched?

dude...99% of the time what will scratch your screen is SAND...Nothing will stop sand from scratching your phone other than a screen protector. All these videos you see of people bashing there phone with a knife or something else is nothing compared to a spec of sand rolling around in your pocket.

Upvote 0
Too expensive for a screen protector.. and I think it's impossible to have a rigid glass screen protector on the curved screen. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think it's impossible but it seems very unlikely. It's far more likely that the person on the other end of the line was either lying or ignorant about the screen protector covering the entire screen. They would have to make them by molding them to shape. I don't know much about glass but that doesn't seem likely.

How could you install it? Since it would only fit by dropping it straight down on top of the screen and the edges curve down there would be no place for the air bubbles to go. Or at least it seems that way to me. But, I've been wrong before, just ask my wife.:rolleyes:

Benny

Upvote 0
That's true, but the S3 will ship with the new Gorilla Glass 3. Youtube videos have shown people scratching their S3, or attempting to scratch, with coins, keys, etc, and it doesn't. Is there a chance it can get scratched?

I could be wrong but the specs I saw say that it has Gorilla Glass 2. And as has been stated many, many times before, Gorilla Glass is absolutely able to be scratched.

Benny

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones