• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Pre-Order and Release date discussion thread

When do you think the Sprint pre orders will start shipping?

• Monday June 11th

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Wednesday June 13th

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Thursday June 14th

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Monday June 18th

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • Wednesday June 20th

Votes: 24 51.1%

• Total voters
I think we should just wait until tomorrow and see what happens. I still think most of us will get our phones before the 21st.

This is probably the wisest advice. Sprint has been on the ball in order to get the S3 to us. I bet they were also fighting for a day or two early release, as well. I fully expect to have my S3 on, or before, the 21st.

Upvote 0
There must be delay on the device apparently all sprint employees can not purchase or even activate the S3 until sometime in August. It doesn't matter if they buy the phone out right or not or got it as a gift. This includes all higher management positions as well. They did the same with the iPhone as well. They really want to make sure customers get the phone first. While the service is not the best it seems like the company does try to make sure you guys are treated fairly. I dont have sprint I have verizon by my girlfriend is a DM in charge of 10+ stores. I just try to relay some of the info as I hear to help you guys out.

All I read was August...

Upvote 0
Yeah, me too! What are you talking about - AUGUST?

What are you confused about? To ensure sprints customers get the galaxy S3 in a timely manner. Sprint Employees are not allowed to Buy or activate this phone until sometime in August. They did the same thing with the iPhone. To my understanding they did not do this with the EVO which is the best phone on sprint right now. Amazing phone from what I have seen. They only do this if they know there is going to be a demand issue.

I am little hyped on N O explode right now, just finished up a workout hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0
What are you confused about? To ensure sprints customers get the galaxy S3 in a timely manner. Sprint Employees are not allowed to Buy or activate this phone until sometime in August. They did the same thing with the iPhone. To my understanding they did not do this with the EVO which is the best phone on sprint right now. Amazing phone from what I have seen. They only do this if they know there is going to be a demand issue.

I am little hyped on N O explode right now, just finished up a workout hope that makes sense.

Ok, so employees can't get one? But I can? This doesn't sound logical. Apparently, since my phone is an add-on line, it comes preactivated. Anyone know how this works? Is it just ready to use out of the box? I'm going to cancel My EVO 3D line as soon as I get it.

Upvote 0
Ok, so here's the cliff notes to what alex is saying:

Sprint is not allowing their own employees (including upper management) to activate an S3 (regardless of how they aquired it) to discourage them from taking S3s from the stock for their customers.

Sprint may have pre-ordered more than they were allotted (or the allotment number was shifted to be smaller than originally promised), so Sprint wants to make it so as many customers get it as possible. The August bit was the soonest Sprint employees might be able to activate a S3.

</cliff notes>

For all intents and purposes, if you preordered in the first 3 days (June 5,6 and 7), you're very likely to have your phone on or before June 21st. Please relax. It's Sunday and the first S3s are due to be shipped out tomorrow. There is no sense in getting worked up over rumor and speculations.

Ok, so employees can't get one? But I can? This doesn't sound logical. Apparently, since my phone is an add-on line, it comes preactivated. Anyone know how this works? Is it just ready to use out of the box? I'm going to cancel My EVO 3D line as soon as I get it.

Yes, it'll come pre-activated. I'm in the same boat, I plan on waiting for my email notification and then I'll look at my Sprint account to see if the new device is activated. The server is down right now, so I wonder if that's due to getting ready to add a bunch of S3s to the system.

Upvote 0
Ok, so here's the cliff notes to what alex is saying:

Sprint is not allowing their own employees (including upper management) to activate an S3 (regardless of how they aquired it) to discourage them from taking S3s from the stock for their customers.

Sprint may have pre-ordered more than they were allotted (or the allotment number was shifted to be smaller than originally promised), so Sprint wants to make it so as many customers get it as possible. The August bit was the soonest Sprint employees might be able to activate a S3.

</cliff notes>

For all intents and purposes, if you preordered in the first 3 days (June 5,6 and 7), you're very likely to have your phone on or before June 21st. Please relax. It's Sunday and the first S3s are due to be shipped out tomorrow. There is no sense in getting worked up over rumor and speculations.

Thank you that is exactly what I was trying to say. Sorry I did not mean to make it confusing.

Upvote 0

Sorry for any confusion, it is logical to make sure you get a phone! Sprint is putting its paying customers ahead of its employees.

Upvote 0

Haha I got you man, N.O. explode is that legal cocaine. I took two glasses before work out the other day. Lets just say I was ready.

Also, I wonder if this sprint employee at the store was pushing the EvoLTE over GS3 for this reason. He was completely pushing me towards LTE saying the GS3 doesn't even compare and LTE is way better. Even when I brought up the point of LTE not having a removable battery. Maybe he was mad he isn't having a chance to get the GS3 so he didn't want me to get it either. It was very weird how much he was pushing the EvoLTE over GS3. I'm just glad I do all my research online. I can easily see how customers can get manipulated by employees at the store. At the same time maybe sprint makes more money if the sell the EvoLTE over GS3?? Since its a sprint exclusive phone? That might be the reason why he was pushing that over GS3.

Either way it was completely weird. He didn't even get GS3 any credit, saying it won't even compare to the EvoLTE.

If you are getting the GS3 as an add-on line or a new line, it will come pre-activated. If you are getting it as an upgrade for an existing line, it won't come preactivated. Since, if they did that your current phone wouldn't work. I think this was discussed in detail 10-15 posts before in this topic. Check it out for more details

Upvote 0
Haha I got you man, N.O. explode is that legal cocaine. I took two glasses before work out the other day. Lets just say I was ready.

Also, I wonder if this sprint employee at the store was pushing the EvoLTE over GS3 for this reason. He was completely pushing me towards LTE saying the GS3 doesn't even compare and LTE is way better. Even when I brought up the point of LTE not having a removable battery. Maybe he was mad he isn't having a chance to get the GS3 so he didn't want me to get it either. It was very weird how much he was pushing the EvoLTE over GS3. I'm just glad I do all my research online. I can easily see how customers can get manipulated by employees at the store. At the same time maybe sprint makes more money if the sell the EvoLTE over GS3?? Since its a sprint exclusive phone? That might be the reason why he was pushing that over GS3.

Either way it was completely weird. He didn't even get GS3 any credit, saying it won't even compare to the EvoLTE.

If you are getting the GS3 as an add-on line or a new line, it will come pre-activated. If you are getting it as an upgrade for an existing line, it won't come preactivated. Since, if they did that your current phone wouldn't work. I think this was discussed in detail 10-15 posts before in this topic. Check it out for more details

It could also be that the LTEvo is available right now and the GS3 is available later. If he sells you the LTEvo, he gets a commission now. If you walk out and order a GS3, he doesn't get any commission. An interesting social experiment would be to go back after a month or two (whenever the GS3 supply problems settle down) and see what he recommends then.

Upvote 0

Both phones are LTE. LTE is just the name for 4g. The rep was just trying to close the sale. The evo is a great phone and I think it is very under rated. I personally think if you had gotten the EVO and compared it to the S3 you wouldn't complain about it. Its HTC best phone to date. This next generation of Android phone will be first generation to compete with apple. In my opinion

Upvote 0
Ever since we could pre order the GS3 online the status of the info has been "we will do our best to get it to you before June 21st before others get a glimpse". Now remember the LTE ordering fiasco...it changed multiple times to back order to everything else.

I just checked mine and now have this...

The order or a portion of the order is in backorder status. If the customer would like to select an alternate product or cancel the backordered item, transfer to Order Support.

Anyone else heard anything or in the same situation?

Upvote 0
Ever since we could pre order the GS3 online the status of the info has been "we will do our best to get it to you before June 21st before others get a glimpse". Now remember the LTE ordering fiasco...it changed multiple times to back order to everything else.

The order or a portion of the order is in backorder status. If the customer would like to select an alternate product or cancel the backordered item, transfer to Order Support.

Yes the Launch date was pushed back to Sunday July the 1st.

Upvote 0

I moved your thread into the Sprint discussion thread. The short of the matter is: Sprint automatically changes your status after a certain amount of time that goes by for pre-orders to say it's back ordered. It's an automated message. Multiple people have talked to multiple CSRs and the common answer is that pre-orders are going out on time.

I also suspect that their system is down today (as in, you can't log into their system today) because they're upgrading to prepare for the influx of S3 activations.

As a side note: Please leave all Sprint Pre-order related discussions in this thread. Thank you.

Yes the Launch date was pushed back to Sunday July the 1st.

Please cite your source.

Upvote 0
I moved your thread into the Sprint discussion thread. The short of the matter is: Sprint automatically changes your status after a certain amount of time that goes by for pre-orders to say it's back ordered. It's an automated message. Multiple people have talked to multiple CSRs and the common answer is that pre-orders are going out on time.

I also suspect that their system is down today (as in, you can't log into their system today) because they're upgrading to prepare for the influx of S3 activations.

As a side note: Please leave all Sprint Pre-order related discussions in this thread. Thank you.

Please cite your source.

Nothing I was messing with him anyway like I said earlier we should get our phones before June 21st if you preordered it early into the preorder. If you ordered a little late then you may not get it until a little later. Also to add a little UPDATE if you're planning on going to the store to pick up one, chances are you won't be able to get one on the 21st. Because the initial amount is called for and it may not even hit stores on the 21st because they're going to cover the preorders that came through and then the stores will receive them at a later date.

Upvote 0

We all are in same situation I think.

Upvote 0
Nothing I was messing with him anyway like I said earlier we should get our phones before June 21st if you preordered it early into the preorder. If you ordered a little late then you may not get it until a little later. Also to add a little UPDATE if you're planning on going to the store to pick up one, chances are you won't be able to get one on the 21st. Because the initial amount is called for and it may not even hit stores on the 21st because they're going to cover the preorders that came through and then the stores will receive them at a later date.

Uhoh don't mess around man. All of us are at the edge of our seats for this phone that a little joke about the July 1st date might have us track your ip down and fight ya ;):cool:

Upvote 0
Where did it actually say Sprint has a shortage? The 16gb is still available for preorder on their website. They are pretty quick to update the website when a phone is out-of-stock. Is this just speculation due to at&t and verizon pushing things back?

Maybe Sprint was smarter this time around and hoarded a bunch of S3 phones after the fiasco with the LTEvo. I missed the preorder on that and ended up getting the phone on the official launch, a week after preorders got theirs. Fortunately, the S3 preorder was announced while I could still return the phone.

Just be patient. Sprint does seem to get those preorders out as best they can.

Upvote 0
i would just like to add that I pre-ordered mine on June 8th, adding a line to my account. I have 2 separate order numbers, one that was automatically generated and emailed to me (begins with oy-)and one that was given to me by a customer service rep via chat (begins with a D and also shows online under my accont). The one that was emailed to me says "The order or a portion of the order is in backorder status. If the customer would like to select an alternate product or cancel the backordered item, transfer to Order Support." While the status on the other order number given to me by customer service (and online under my account) says "The equipment has shipped and/or the activation is complete." I was also provided with the new phone number assigned to the phone, and as I am calling the number, it is not active yet (no voicemail comes up, only a recording "the number you have dialed is temporarily not in service"), and it does not show up online under my account. I called the general Sprint Number 1-888-211-4727 and put in the number to see if it would bring up my account info and it did. It seems like the phones are ready to ship. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: jerofld
Upvote 0
i would just like to add that I pre-ordered mine on June 8th, adding a line to my account. I have 2 separate order numbers, one that was automatically generated and emailed to me (begins with oy-)and one that was given to me by a customer service rep via chat (begins with a D and also shows online under my accont). The one that was emailed to me says "The order or a portion of the order is in backorder status. If the customer would like to select an alternate product or cancel the backordered item, transfer to Order Support." While the status on the other order number given to me by customer service (and online under my account) says "The equipment has shipped and/or the activation is complete." I was also provided with the new phone number assigned to the phone, and as I am calling the number, it is not active yet (no voicemail comes up, only a recording "the number you have dialed is temporarily not in service"), and it does not show up online under my account. I called the general Sprint Number 1-888-211-4727 and put in the number to see if it would bring up my account info and it did. It seems like the phones are ready to ship. Fingers crossed.

Yeah I think they are most probably good to go. As I hear this message came with the EVOLtes either. I have a very good feeling we will see it changed to "shipped, here is your tracking number" either tomm or tuesday.

And you probably are not getting the temporarily out of service because the phone is turned off and no voicemail set up yet. The phone definitely seems like it is activated though

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones