• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Official Did You Get 2.2 Thread

tukatz- I'm pretty sure you will not get the OTA. I think the text are sent out through a different system notifying you when your phone is sceduled by t-mobile to be in the update group for those 2 weeks, however it does not verify that your phone is able to recieve update. I think you will have to do this:

If you're rooted and want to try the new Official AOSP 2.2 OTA you can grab it here.

I've been running it on the MT3G 1.2 and it works flawlessly

Official AOSP 2.2 OTA -- Flash for Dream - xda-developers

I was on CM6 and did this.

Upvote 0
tukatz- I'm pretty sure you will not get the OTA. I think the text are sent out through a different system notifying you when your phone is sceduled by t-mobile to be in the update group for those 2 weeks, however it does not verify that your phone is able to recieve update. I think you will have to do this:

I was on CM6 and did this.
Interesting. I did get the notification from T-Mobile that it would be coming.

Upvote 0
The friend of mine who helped me root my phone got his update a day or two ago. Asked him if he needed to unroot and all. He said NOPE. He was running this

Chromatic 4.5 - Apps2ext, Release v4.5

Said he did nothing other prior to the update. He applied and then wham now has 2.2 on his Original Mytouch 3G. (started with 1.5 to ver 1.6 to root) I dont know how that is possible but i figured i would give it to the 31st before i start going bonkers with the Tmobile update.

BTW this was in Arizona

Upvote 0
The friend of mine who helped me root my phone got his update a day or two ago. Asked him if he needed to unroot and all. He said NOPE. He was running this

Chromatic 4.5 - Apps2ext, Release v4.5

Said he did nothing other prior to the update. He applied and then wham now has 2.2 on his Original Mytouch 3G. (started with 1.5 to ver 1.6 to root) I dont know how that is possible but i figured i would give it to the 31st before i start going bonkers with the Tmobile update.

BTW this was in Arizona

lol, Argh. Meanwhile, I, with my bone-stock 1.6, androoted, can't install the update because I uninstalled that stupid amazon mp3 app and can't adb it back to /system/app/.

Grrrr.

Upvote 0
I got the text from Tmobile yesterday and it said Ill get it within the next two weeks. Im betting ill get it somewhere close to last since I live in washington state. If I remember right, it seemed like when i had a blackberry and they would update that the west coast were among the last to get the update... Ive waited this long though, so whats a couple more weeks, right??

Upvote 0
Have u tried to reset the phone back to factory settings? wouldnt that put all the original apps back on the phone?

Thought about that but someone on XDA told me that all a factory reset does it wipe data, it doesn't actually re-image. Since I deleted the app from /system/app/ it probably won't come back with a simple factory wipe. I'll probably have to re-image and SAPPIMG it to get it back. Hopefully I still can, because the new SPL already installed. I may have screwed myself, lol.

I got the text from Tmobile yesterday and it said Ill get it within the next two weeks. Im betting ill get it somewhere close to last since I live in washington state. If I remember right, it seemed like when i had a blackberry and they would update that the west coast were among the last to get the update... Ive waited this long though, so whats a couple more weeks, right??

I was told it's by IMEI number. I'm in cali and I've already had two attempts to push the update to me.

Upvote 0
I just received the update to 2.2 yesterday in Colorado.
Now my phone is running all the applications like crazy. I have a taskkiller and didn't have that problem before the update. Not they are running all the time and it is killing my battery like never before. I also seem to have the keyboard running in the background at all times and not able to shut it down.
Any suggestions? My phone is not rooted.

Upvote 0
I just received the update to 2.2 yesterday in Colorado.
Now my phone is running all the applications like crazy. I have a taskkiller and didn't have that problem before the update. Not they are running all the time and it is killing my battery like never before. I also seem to have the keyboard running in the background at all times and not able to shut it down.
Any suggestions? My phone is not rooted.

Mine did the same thing. I turned off all the animations in the display settings, and that has helped considerably. Try that.

Upvote 0
so how would i wipe the first? again i rooted with androot. also can you do this within rom manager? and does this rom have froyo tethering

Download clockworkmod recovery from rom manager. Wipe first (with erase_image if possible, in clockwork that's the wipe of individual partitions make sure you wipe system, userdata, cache).

Then flash AOSP OTA ... u don't don't need any partitions.

There is a USB tethering option under wireless network settings

Reactions: Chidori602
Upvote 0
I manually updated with the official images using this guide. Note, there are two possible images for part 2. The link in the original post is an incremental update from the 1.6 DMD64 image, the link on page 5 of the thread is for a complete 2.2.1 FRG83 image that presumably can be used if you're still on the 1.5 COC10 build. I did a factore reset before starting. The initial sign-in after flashing both images went oddly. After signing in with the "already have an account" option I got a screen that said to slide out the keyboard to sign in. Hitting back took me to the page with 'create an account, already have an account, skip for now' (yes, the official 2.2.1 image supports getting into the full phone without signing into google, which should be nice for people not using their device with a T-Mobile SIM). I kept trying to sign-in with my existing account and it started rebooting at that point. I decided to skip the sign-in about the third time and I was taken to the desktop. Going to Accounts & Sync my account was there, so it took the info the first time and then a wrong turn after that.

Everything seemed to be working alright except for the Market's restore of my apps that was there from when I ran CM6. All apps were listed as downloading but none of them were. I cancelled most of them, for a few trying to cancel the download caused a Market force close (but everything showed up in my Downloads tab still). Once I started downloading one that I had successfully cancelled, the few that wouldn't cancel suddenly cancelled themselves and restarted. After going thru and making sure everything listed as Free or Purchased under Market downloads had been re-installed everything seems fine now. I've installed a few new things I hadn't had before. Still couldn't find Angry Birds in the Market though. Downloading from getjar.com worked though.

As a metric for comparison against CM6, I can successfully install and use swype without doing any trickery like setting up a swap file, or strategically hitting back instead of next/done during the installer. It just worked.

Performance wise I'm pretty happy. I perceive less lag than CM6, but possibly not as good as 1.6. I liked being able to have 4 launchers docked as I did in ADW, but ADW accounted for probably 90% of the 'not responding' dialogs for me in CM6 so ....

As has been said USB tethering is baked right in. I did some research when CM6 came out and the hardware in this device just doesn't support infrastructure mode so the native mobile hotspot feature will never appear. Using something like branacle or android-wifi-tether to setup an ad-hoc AP is possible with this device if you have root though.

Upvote 0
Out in SoCal; still haven't received the update yet either.

There are some text messages I'd like to save. Would the update erase these? How would I go about backing these up?

I like this app.
SMS Backup - Android app on AppBrain

It's good to clear ALL your texts every so often. I use this one to backup all my texts to gmail so I can clear them off the phone.

It's also good to periodically clear the caches of all your apps and clear your call log. This helps reduce lag in your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones