• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 update set for 3/26 (unofficially)

Ok I recently talked to a sprint worker on Sprint customer chat about a issue I had with my hero and they asked if I had anymore questions. I asked them about Android 2.1 and they said "that will be released sometime in March". So if it isn't released THIS month, then ill be pissed and talk to that customer service lady again for lying to me lol

Upvote 0
Ok I recently talked to a sprint worker on Sprint customer chat about a issue I had with my hero and they asked if I had anymore questions. I asked them about Android 2.1 and they said "that will be released sometime in March". So if it isn't released THIS month, then ill be pissed and talk to that customer service lady again for lying to me lol

LOL, Customer service don't tend to know anything about updates. How do I know? My girlfriend (and an awful lot of our friends, oddly enough) works in customer service, or did until their call center switched to business support earlier this year. They never had any scoop on updates beforehand.

Upvote 0
Yea, well hopefully this IS for us and not the GSM Hero. If not late March, should be April.

sent from my Macbook using Safari

We're DEFINITELY NOT getting 2.1 this month. It'll most likely be late April to early May. Either way, I don't care. I'm satisfied with my phone and I'm not gonna keep beating myself up like some other people do here about an update I wasn't entitled to in the first place lol.

Upvote 0
We're DEFINITELY NOT getting 2.1 this month. It'll most likely be late April to early May. Either way, I don't care. I'm satisfied with my phone and I'm not gonna keep beating myself up like some other people do here about an update I wasn't entitled to in the first place lol.

Well, here's the thing about Android: the apps market is kinda important. Sure, developers are supposed to use the lowest SDK level that they can, but a lot of them either just use the latest version of Android of the phone they have or need to use a later Android version for some SDK functionality that they want to use. So someone with a phone with 1.5 or 1.6 is missing out more and more on apps that just aren't even available in the market for them.

And buying a Hero (as I see you have) sometime in the last 5 months, you have already been missing out on apps. As each month goes by that 1.5 is out-of-date, less new apps will show up for you. This is essentially the fragmentation issue.

Now I like my Hero right now, but I don't intend to keep it for more than a year, so eventually I'll get a phone with whatever the latest Android version is at that time. But buying a brand new phone and then immediately ending up with a lack of access to new apps within a month of purchase just isn't a great situation. This is the problem with thinking that no one is entitled to get an update. I would expect at least one Android version update for any phone within the first 6 months of that phone being available. And don't tell me to just root...I don't want to even though my profession is a software engineer. As Android gains market share, people like my Mom can end up with an Android phone and someone like that isn't going to root.

Upvote 0
I think we should all start complaining about the ****ing lack of updates... We paid $479 for a phone that doesn't have the latest OS update and that update has been around for months...

Idk whether to blame Sprint or HTC, because i know damn well HTC is adding their HTC bullshit to the phone to try and make it more superior than the original Android home screen. Every company has to add a part of them to a phone... Its annoying me.

Seriously? What is so hard about making this update?

Upvote 0
We paid $479 for a phone that doesn't have the latest OS update and that update has been around for months...

You paid full MSRP? You got ripped off then. I paid only $129 for it and had it on launch day. I'm could care less if 2.1 comes out soon. My phone is nice and snappy now after I rooted it, and it only has to last me until October and then I'll be doing a Premier 1yr upgrade to the latest and greatest that Sprint has to offer anyway. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones