• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO vs an Unrooted Evo

To start off, I'm Unrevoked forever on my stock Evo 4g.

I understand that I need to wait for a rooted update.

My question is, when this update comes out, what form will it be in? Update.zip? If so, when I run it, will it wipe my apps and data? I have a titanium backup, but I'd just rather not have anything missing (apps, texts and such). Is this even possible?

It will be a flashable zip like the rest of the roms that are out there. It will clear your apps and data so TB or another backup programs is an option there to save your app data. Do not use TB to restore system data or apps though as it can cause issues. SMS backup works for texts.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi,

I am current on andriod 2.2 and want to update to 2.3.

How would i do this?

I have a custom rom (fresh eo 3.5.0.1) and a custom kernel (netarchy-toastmod 43.4 cfs-nohavs-suv-nosbc)

I do not want to lose my rom information because i dont want to reinstall all my apps, and my kernel is being used for the hdmi cloning and for better battery life.

Is there a way that I could download the 2.3 update and just flash it?

Or I will wipe everything and reinstall it, I just need the downloadable 2.3 update for fresh.. or do i have to wait for fresh to update to 2.3

Upvote 0
Hi,

I am current on andriod 2.2 and want to update to 2.3.

How would i do this?

I have a custom rom (fresh eo 3.5.0.1) and a custom kernel (netarchy-toastmod 43.4 cfs-nohavs-suv-nosbc)

I do not want to lose my rom information because i dont want to reinstall all my apps, and my kernel is being used for the hdmi cloning and for better battery life.

Is there a way that I could download the 2.3 update and just flash it?
There is not a rooted version out as of yet. Keep checking back to see when the links are posted. You will have to reinstall apps when switching roms but TB makes saving apps and data easy though a bit time consuming. Kernels are still up in the air as far as I know. They will be coming out with new versions but not sure as to the time line for those yet.

Upvote 0
It will be a flashable zip like the rest of the roms that are out there. It will clear your apps and data so TB or another backup programs is an option there to save your app data. Do not use TB to restore system data or apps though as it can cause issues. SMS backup works for texts.

Thanks,

So there is no way to go from rooted to rooted update without wiping data and such? Seems counter intuitive since I was able to go from unrooted to root and not mess up any apps or settings.

Upvote 0

HTC EVO Gingerbread update has begun rolling out today and some of the users are lucky to get it over OTA. But some of them who are eagerly waiting here is the official Gingerbread update Rom dump.Ready to download,nothing has touched,fresh and clean.

via MobileGearz

Download

This dude said he has a downloadable version for the stock evo, any ideas if his 2.3 will keep your phone rooted or will to change the rom back to sprints standards 2.3

Upvote 0
Thanks,

So there is no way to go from rooted to rooted update without wiping data and such? Seems counter intuitive since I was able to go from unrooted to root and not mess up any apps or settings.

it is all going to depend on what you are currently running, and what you are flashing.

If you are simply running an "official" stock rooted rom and run the "official" stock rooted update...you will simply clear dalvik and cache and flash.

Anything other combo and you will need to follow the directions provided by your developer in his/her rom thread

Upvote 0
This dude said he has a downloadable version for the stock evo, any ideas if his 2.3 will keep your phone rooted or will to change the rom back to sprints standards 2.3

by what that reads that is no a rooted version of the update...and as I mentioned above..if this is the case it needs to be removed from this thread... it is going to cause problems

Upvote 0
Look, I rooted my phone and downloaded a bunch of apps that required root and I have found that I never use them. Rooting has done nothing for me but kept me from installing this update. I want the official OTA updates as I plan on selling my phone when the 3D comes out. I don't want to download and manually install any hacked versions of the update. I don't care about keeping my phone unlocked.

So as much as I like having my phone rooted, I don't use it and I'm tired of playing the cat and mouse game. I want unrevoked gone without wiping my phone so I can install this OTA. Does anyone have a link to recent, detailed instructions on how to remove the latest unrevoked from my phone?

I sincerely appreciate it.

Thank y'all.

Upvote 0
Look, I rooted my phone and downloaded a bunch of apps that required root and I have found that I never use them. Rooting has done nothing for me but kept me from installing this update. I want the official OTA updates as I plan on selling my phone when the 3D comes out. I don't want to download and manually install any hacked versions of the update. I don't care about keeping my phone unlocked.

So as much as I like having my phone rooted, I don't use it and I'm tired of playing the cat and mouse game. I want unrevoked gone without wiping my phone so I can install this OTA. Does anyone have a link to recent, detailed instructions on how to remove the latest unrevoked from my phone?

Thank y'all.
You would need to follow the instructions in the rooting guide to unroot. Unfortunately it will reset your phone to out of the box stock. You may be able to flash the s-on tool and the stock recovery then accept the OTA but not sure if it will work or not.

Upvote 0

Thank y'all.
This week in Mobile News Manor #21: Unrooting the EVO 4G | ZDNet

Edit: I should add -- the steps here will dictate a wiping of all your current memory and settings.

Upvote 0
All of the zip files and instructions are included in the rooting for dummies guide. Go to the essentials post stickied at the top of the forum and click the link for the Rooting for Dummies Guide. Go to "After rooting" and you will find the instructions to flash the s-on tool and the link to the RUU for your hboot or radio version(whichever is newer).

Upvote 0

Thank y'all.

You can unroot in 2 easy steps. You can find the instructions in the ROOTING For Dummies + Extra's thread.

EDIT: Xtreme sniped me :D.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones