• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Any ROM compatible with Pandora?

No issues here with SS 4.4

Ill have to try myself as others using SS4.4 stated they were having issues.... And since audio quality is often subjective based on age, quality of sound reproduction equipment, and the type of song - no positive assertions can be verified easily :( And since it's a known issue with a bug being tracked in the android source repo, we can all but agree that it's not a data wipe or other stochasticly arrived at situation.

--Randall

Upvote 0
I'll chime in here with my two cents...

I rooted just yesterday with bbv.4 and everything went fine. Just today, I listened to all my music and found that pandora and rhapsody sounded much worse than it did on stock 2.1. The music I own played through the player sounds fine though. It appears to be a problem with any streaming music player.

Upvote 0
I'll chime in here with my two cents...

I rooted just yesterday with bbv.4 and everything went fine. Just today, I listened to all my music and found that pandora and rhapsody sounded much worse than it did on stock 2.1. The music I own played through the player sounds fine though. It appears to be a problem with any streaming music player.

And this does not appear to be fixed in the latest FRG01B leaked rom...

FAIL... Why is it always a feature *I* like that gets deprecated or overlooked by the product development teams? :)

And folks wonder why I want unlocked devices (not only phones, but any 'computer appliance' including VMware ESXi... ESX is gone, ESXi wins, etc...)

--Randall

Upvote 0
I haven't noticed any sound quality degradation in any 2.2 ROMs with Slacker or Pandora and I stream it every day in my car via BT.

Kinda OT Q though: I can get my BT controls (via steering wheel) to work with every music app except Slacker radio :mad:. I've gotten it to work once before with Slacker, so I KNOW it supports it, but now every time I try to skip a song, it opens the stock music app and starts playing music over top of slacker which forces me to task kill it to stop :mad:. Has anyone else experienced this? It's the only reason I don't use slacker so much in my car.

Upvote 0
Same here...tried FRG01B and still had low quality streaming audio.

And this does not appear to be fixed in the latest FRG01B leaked rom...

FAIL... Why is it always a feature *I* like that gets deprecated or overlooked by the product development teams? :)

And folks wonder why I want unlocked devices (not only phones, but any 'computer appliance' including VMware ESXi... ESX is gone, ESXi wins, etc...)

--Randall

Upvote 0
I decided to do some more thorough tests to see if there was a decline in streaming sound quality. When I listened to Pandora, Rhapsody and my own music through the speaker on the Droid, very little difference could be noted. The difference occurred when I connected the Droid to decent powered sound systems. I tried 4 different setups...

First I simply connected my Klipsch in-ear headphones (great product by the way) and listened to all 3 music sources. Both streaming products produced sound that was flat and had very little depth.

Second, I direct connected the Droid to my Bose sound system in my Infiniti and got the same result. In addition to the flat sound, the volume was noticeably less.

Then I connected the Droid to 2 different powered set of speakers in my home and got the same result again. In addition to the flat sound and lower volume, I also noticed a decreased range across a variety of music genres.

Bottom line...something is not right yet in these 2.2 ROMs relative to streaming sound quality. This is true for both Pandora & Rhapsody.

For those that are saying everything is fine, what is your basis for comparison? How are you listening to your music?

I'd really like to see this fixed...

Upvote 0
I decided to do some more thorough tests to see if there was a decline in streaming sound quality. When I listened to Pandora, Rhapsody and my own music through the speaker on the Droid, very little difference could be noted. The difference occurred when I connected the Droid to decent powered sound systems. I tried 4 different setups...

First I simply connected my Klipsch in-ear headphones (great product by the way) and listened to all 3 music sources. Both streaming products produced sound that was flat and had very little depth.

Second, I direct connected the Droid to my Bose sound system in my Infiniti and got the same result. In addition to the flat sound, the volume was noticeably less.

Then I connected the Droid to 2 different powered set of speakers in my home and got the same result again. In addition to the flat sound and lower volume, I also noticed a decreased range across a variety of music genres.

Bottom line...something is not right yet in these 2.2 ROMs relative to streaming sound quality. This is true for both Pandora & Rhapsody.

For those that are saying everything is fine, what is your basis for comparison? How are you listening to your music?

I'd really like to see this fixed...

For me they are not consistent. I will listen to one song that sounds normal, then the other song is flat, then the next song has no bass....just a huge range of issues. Also for me sometimes I get commercials, sometimes I do not get commercials it is very odd the way Pandora is running for me.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Dabrador
Upvote 0
There's a potential fix posted at [FIX] Fix poor AAC streaming performance (Pandora, Slacker, etc) on Froyo - xda-developers. Also, this fix allows Sirius to play without continuous looping, using the newer Froyo builds. At least it has for me.

One other thought. If you apply the zip file for the market fix after applying the update in XDA, the build.prop file in the market fix zip will change it back and will need to be edited again.

Thanks for sharing this. I read the entire thread and it appears this fix causes some new problems. I'm amazed that something so important hasn't been fixed yet.

Upvote 0
Im debating if this actually made any change to my pandora experience...

I didn't do the setprop through adb, rather from a root shell via connectbot connecting to local.

I'll try to make the change in the properties file tonight...

On the other hand, I've had my pandora set to use HIGH quality over the 3g ever since I went to 2.2 and found the flatness, so perhaps Im just used to it...

--Randall

Upvote 0
Kinda OT Q though: I can get my BT controls (via steering wheel) to work with every music app except Slacker radio :mad:. I've gotten it to work once before with Slacker, so I KNOW it supports it, but now every time I try to skip a song, it opens the stock music app and starts playing music over top of slacker which forces me to task kill it to stop :mad:. Has anyone else experienced this? It's the only reason I don't use slacker so much in my car.
I also can't get slacker to work with my BT controls.
According to the Autostarts app, Slacker doesn't register itself to be controlled by the media buttons.

Upvote 0
And wow, I tried the Sirius/XM app for the first time - very low quality... But I don't have anything to baseline it against since I never tried it on 2.1 and I just dont feel like re-flashing a 2.1 rom :)

Im debating if this actually made any change to my pandora experience...

I didn't do the setprop through adb, rather from a root shell via connectbot connecting to local.

I'll try to make the change in the properties file tonight...

On the other hand, I've had my pandora set to use HIGH quality over the 3g ever since I went to 2.2 and found the flatness, so perhaps Im just used to it...

--Randall

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones