• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Banned!?

9to5cynic

Android Expert
Feb 20, 2011
/home/
Just wondering if anyone else gets incredibly curious as to why other users are banned?

I was reading a thread, and a seemingly helpful post was made, but the user was "banned". It just makes me wonder what is really going on... Are all the banned population under some sort dual personality thing or what?!

I suppose it really is none of my business... but still. It is a little puzzling.

I have seen some of the users that have been banned. The staff is very good here and when a moderator bans someone it is not because of a single offense or because they weren't helpful in other posts. Some people can be really helpful in many posts, but also violate site terms in others. When those violations start adding up, a user is warned, then put on probation, and if the offenses continue they are then banned.

Upvote 0
Also usually the posts that lead to a ban are deleted for violations of site guidelines and rules. You can be super helpful in your first 999 posts but then at posts 1000-1010 you decide to posts links to warez sites you may get banned and the offending posts deleted, so when someone searches for your posts they will see the 999 helpful posts and that is all.

Upvote 0
Also usually the posts that lead to a ban are deleted for violations of site guidelines and rules. You can be super helpful in your first 999 posts but then at posts 1000-1010 you decide to posts links to warez sites you may get banned and the offending posts deleted, so when someone searches for your posts they will see the 999 helpful posts and that is all.
Yeah, I was thinking the post would be edited or something...
And I don't get how it's always members with tons of posts who are getting banned. I don't think I've seen a single "Junior Member" banned, I know it took me like a month to get to my first 100 posts. Just got +500 last month or so, been here since start of Feb checking in every night for a couple hours.

I just don't get it, it's a pretty big time investment to get up there in posts.

Lol... maybe something like this:
BANNED: Warez
Ehh.. probably not.

Upvote 0
Chris and Yeahha basically summed it up. Banning someone isn't a single decision, especially permanent bans. It is the result of repeat offences where the person just doesn't want to follow the site rules that he or she agreed to follow. We ban a lot of users per day (vast majority are spammers) and there are times when we have a report that requires more attention, especially if its someone with a track record. Several of us put forth our opinions on the matter and come to a conclusion on what we believe should be done. Some of us are a bit more lenient than others but the end conclusion is from a collective agreement. Banning someone is a matter that we don't take lightly and that we wish we really never have to make but like society, not everyone wants to follow the agreed upon rules.

Post count really has nothing to do with bans since we never take that into account. Banning someone with 50 posts who makes posts attacking other members or hate speech would be exactly the same as banning someone with 5000 posts. Warnings, probations, temp bans, longer temp bans, and permanent bans is the typical route that is taken... So for someone to be permanently banned, that either takes work over the time that he or she was a member or a few select posts where they spout hate rhetoric (as one example).

One easy way to not risking yourself of getting in trouble... Avoid the Politics and Current Events subforum. Thatll decrease your chances by around 73.5% +/- 20%. :p

Upvote 0
+1 Vihzel

It's never something we enjoy, do capriciously or allow personal feelings on.

Our first rule is to work with people - everyone has bad days.

Sometimes a person can go thru a rough patch and become unreachable. While we regret that, we must respond with the greater good in mind, even if the member in question has become a friend.

Sometimes after a ban and upon reflection, the bannee sees clear to appeal to Phases (site admin, the guy who makes AndroidForums.com possible, and your true pal) and is allowed re-entry.

And we mods are always ok with that.

We take no pleasure nor pride in banning anyone, it's like pushing out a family member. We simply enforce the rules that we all agreed to when accepting the site terms to gain posting privileges.

Neither do we ever forget that we're simply members first, nothing special, doing a voluntary and temporary job for the site we all love.
Any and all of our actions are subject to appeal by writing Phases. We do our best but can make mistakes as easily as the next guy. That's why our consensus process that Vihzel mentioned is part of how we walk - to prevent concentration of imagined power or ego.

We ourselves would like nothing better than to pour out our hearts over some of these difficult ban cases that leave -oh! so many - questions for everyone:

But in all regards, we must protect the privacy of all we engage with. This is our firm policy, and those in question deserve nothing less.

Please respond without concern of any negative impact to anything laid down here.

AndroidForums.com doesn't belong to the mods - it's the largest and oldest Android user self-help forum because it's about you - the Android-owning members and all we care about is making this the best site possible.

Your feedback counts!

Upvote 0
Oh, I hope I didn't come across implying that the mods arn't doing a good job...

Banned!! :p

I was more curious as to more specific violations that the user does, or something like that. And if others around here are as curious as I.

I was the same way when I first joined. Whenever I came across someone that was banned the first thing I did was check their posting history, and whenever I saw a locked thread I would rush to read it. Guess I was kinda nosey that way:)

All that was VERY insightful, to say the least. I learned a lot about 'proper internet etiquette' so to speak as this was my first real forum experience.

I think that was one of the ways I came to understand what it takes to continue to be a contributing member of android forums (well, mostly lol!)

Upvote 0
Vihzel, EM and NightAngel and others in the thread hit the nail(s) on the head about Moderators banning members.

90% or even more of those banned are obvious spammers, some reported and some not as they're discovered by us as we patrol around the forums.

Sometimes there is long discussion about how to sanction a member who is most often helpful, but posts something against user guidelines (http://androidforums.com/introductions/704-site-rules-guidelines.html).

If that person peppers their usually good, helpful posting habits with off-putting, condescending junk on a daily basis, then it is very very likely they've been noticed by us, again, reported or not, PMed a warning, then given a "zero point warning infraction," then on and on until you finally do see that word beneath their user name, "banned," or "no posting probation," etc.

This site does have standards and at the center of those standards is the notion that new or not yet joined viewers of the posts/threads in here will feel that it's a safe, welcoming place to join up and participate.

It is kind of sad when one of those long term, helpful members gets tossed because they can't just dispense their info and guidance without verbally slapping people around half the time.

Upvote 0
All good posts here and I can understand people being curious about why someone has been banned.

The reason for banning someone is usually the same. We want to keep this site a friendly and helpful place. If someone consistently makes posts that offends other users, or even makes users think twice before asking questions or making observations because they don't want to be attacked or feel bellitted, then moderation is necessary. If attempts to rehabilitate such a user are unsuccessful...we are left with little choice.

Just remember that spammers are the only users that don't typically get second chances. If someone is permanently banned, they have made that choice for themselves.

I was banned a few years back from on Ohio State forum because I made a comment that our football team wasn't playing with any heart. You won't see things like that happen here :)

Upvote 0
I apologize. :)

110041755_display_image.jpg

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
I feel most people get banned in the politics forum. Perhaps it may be helpful to ban them from that part of the forum (if that can even be done here). perhaps that wouldn't even be helpful as they may get butt-hurt and simply leave anyway. I don't know. I do know it is a shame when a helpful poster get banned because they couldn't keep their emotions in check.

It's also important to be careful what you say. If it can be interpreted wrong, it will be. It has happened to me enough times that I make it clear what I mean and who I am talking to specifically. In short, try not to leave your words up for interpretation.

Upvote 0
Wow, awesome, interesting, and very informative thread!

I, too, have always been curious about these things, but realized and respected the fact that specific reasons for someone getting banned was really none of my business--but that didn't stop me from wanting to know, LOL ;).

I also think this thread would be of interest and benefit for the AF community as a whole--especially new members who could both learn and be reassured that protecting and enhancing their experience here at AF is indeed a very high priority.

I would vote for a "global sticky", LOL, on this thread, but I'm not sure exactly where it should be stuck...perhaps it could linked in some of the other global threads that are used for communicating and informing our users?

Thanks and cheers to all!

Upvote 0
I feel most people get banned in the politics forum. Perhaps it may be helpful to ban them from that part of the forum (if that can even be done here). perhaps that wouldn't even be helpful as they may get butt-hurt and simply leave anyway. I don't know. I do know it is a shame when a helpful poster get banned because they couldn't keep their emotions in check.

That's being discussed now amongst the Admin and Mods. I think it's a good call.. but does have its drawbacks. ;)

Many do get banned, posts edited, warned, etc in the device forums.. I have no actual count, but there are a lot and it's seen and dealt with every day. Actual bannings, maybe there are more in the Lounge, but I'm also thinking that it's noticed in the Lounge/Politics more because the place is just ripe for controversy, arguments, etc.

Upvote 0
I'd give a more lengthy reply but frankly - it's all been said. There's nothing left for me to explain other than repeat what EarlyMon and others have stated. :)

I will say I've never been more proud of staff here than I am today. They work very very hard to keep this place in the best working order as possible, and ensure we maintain the #1 position of Android forum choices for end users that are out there. Which, I firmly believe we have always and most certainly currently hold.

It is very funny you say this - as this exact thing has been one of our topics of discussion this week. Yesterday the talk ended with the decision being made to go through with allowing this option on a case by case basis. Of course.. if we feel a member is taking advantage of knowing that is an option (now that I've gone and said it here) for the staff and creating havoc just because they're not afraid of being banned from just one section - well that will just give to consider. They might then be considered more of a site wide problem than one section problem, as they would be trying to jump through loopholes, etc.

An option is all it will be, not part of the regular flow of infractions -> perm ban.

:)

Upvote 0
Just wondering if anyone else gets incredibly curious as to why other users are banned?

I was reading a thread, and a seemingly helpful post was made, but the user was "banned". It just makes me wonder what is really going on... Are all the banned population under some sort dual personality thing or what?!

I suppose it really is none of my business... but still. It is a little puzzling.

I gets incredibly curious as to why Bob Maxey has not been banned. God what a macaroon. Seriously, ain't nun of my business.

Upvote 0
Obvious spam posters are perma banned. Other types of banning can be temporary "no posting" probation ban.

As said earlier, some non-spam bannees can make an appeal to have their membership reinstated.. it's a case by case thing because some are just doing that to come back and raise more hell. Has to be looked at and talked about by Staff and then decided on by the Admin.

Upvote 0
Obvious spam posters are perma banned. Other types of banning can be temporary "no posting" probation ban.

And yes, we also permanently ban people, even non-spammers.

Getting not banned is easy.

• Please be polite, we don't condone internet tough guys
  • Please attack issues and not each other
    • When at an impasse, it's ok to agree to disagree
    • When all else fails, just put the person bugging you on your ignore list - with nearly 700k members and more arriving, there are plenty of people to chat with that won't get your goat and induce you to say harmful things
  • Please stay kinda on-topic and don't develop a reputation for thread hijacking
  • Please don't advocate piracy, app swapping, copyright violations, or anything else that will depress the family dog and make him wonder why you would do that

And if we ever must give you counseling in a private message, a warning, or an infraction - remember those are our tools to alert you of a problem. They're designed to guide, not punish.

If you ever get one of those, please just work with us to resolve the issue.

A good 98% of everyone I have to contact as a mod tends to calm down, see both sides of an issue, and goes back to being a positive member here.

The instant that happens, as far as a mod here is concerned, we're ready and able to forget the whole thing - did I mention that we're busy maintaining hundreds of forums and hundreds of thousands of users' needs?

But that 1 or 2% left over that simply will not adhere to the rules, will not work with us, and will insist that the site has to be run their way - we show them the door, permanently.

The rest, you know. ;) :)

Upvote 0
we also permanently ban people, even non-spammers.

We're strictly impartial. The Site Rules are clear, and breaking them will result in some form of sanction. Do it repeatedly and, regardless of post count/popularity/degree of helpfulness, you will end up perma-banned. Anything else would simply be unfair to the majority of members who abide by the Rules.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones