1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Basketball Terminology?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Spoggy, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Spoggy

Spoggy Newbie

I've just bought NBA Jam and require the definitions to the following Basketball terminology. I'm English, therefore I don't play, let alone watch Basketball. Answers would be highly appreciated.

Offensive
    Buzzer Beater
    Assist
    Shove counter
    Putback

And it would also be good if anyone could tell me how to grab a rebound and/or what a jump shot is.

Thanks for reading
    Spoggy

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. saps

saps Extreme Android User

I dont have the game myself but just from being an American who watches BBall as well as someone who can use google ;) I can tell you:
    Offensive: Not sure of the context put it likes means its an offensive foul like a charge.
    Buzzer Beater: A shot taken just before the game clock of a period expires, when the buzzer sounds
    Assist: An assist is attributed to a player who passes the ball to a teammate in a way that leads to a score by field goal
    Shove Counter: A shove counter is done by performing a spin move when an opponent attempts to shove you
    Putback: A situation where a player secures an offensive rebound then immediately scores a basket

Spoggy likes this.
  3. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire

Most NBA-related games (on 360) use Y to jump which you should jump towards the ball in order to grab a rebound. As for what a jump shot is, it's basically a shot in which the ball handler just shoots from the position he is currently at. It's not very specific.

Spoggy likes this.
  4. Spoggy

Spoggy Newbie

I meant offensive in the context of an offensive rebound. Like I say, I know nothing about Basketball. Please could you tell me what an offensive rebound is?

5. Kenneth196

Kenneth196 Member

An offensive rebound is when your team has the ball, hence on offense. Lets say you or your teammate shoots and misses, and you or your teammate gets the rebound.. that's an offensive rebound, because your team is on offense and gets the rebound.

Spoggy likes this.
  6. Spoggy

Spoggy Newbie

Yeah, I tried Google, but just couldn't find the right site

7. Spoggy

Spoggy Newbie

Ah, so the rebound is when the ball bounces back off the hoop. Silly me, for some reason I thought it meant like a block. Thanks.