• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery life Discussion

So of the lucky people who have managed to get their hands on one what is real battery life like?

As far as I know the only people that have them work for tech sites, they don't ship until the 21st(as of now). Some guy posted on G+ that he got almost 6SoT. There were a bunch of wakes locks and his phone was in no way optimized like most users would have.

Upvote 0
The people who work for those tech sites and have gotten their review units are under a NDA ( Non Disclosure Act ) of sorts. A stipulation of them receiving a review unit from either Google or Motorola that they signed says that until the 21st, they cannot release a video or written review that covers more than an unboxing and first look/impressions video/article.

So on the 21st at midnight, expect the floodgates to open with full reviews!

Reactions: Splaktar
Upvote 0
Very interesting point in this video from Android Authority, saying that brighter more colorful UI's consume something like 40 percent more power than darker ones.

Material Design looks super bright... pretty much the polar opposite of Holo... soooo yeeaaahh....

Inbox By Gmail, Nexus 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus - Android Weekly - YouTube

Yeah I really don't understand why they did not include a "dark" material design theme of some kind or an option. Looks like I won't be able to run this thing stock. Hopefully CM12 and the theme engine aren't too far out.

Upvote 0
Yeah I really don't understand why they did not include a "dark" material design theme of some kind or an option. Looks like I won't be able to run this thing stock. Hopefully CM12 and the theme engine aren't too far out.

Most if not all of the GApps have had a light look for a good long time already, as do many 3rd party apps. Looks like the keyboard in 5.0 has a dark theme option, so that's something at least. Dark wallpapers are easy too.

I thought I saw early on that 5.0 had some native theme customization built in, but I guess I imagined that.

Upvote 0
MKBHD posted on Twitter that he had 4hrs with max brightness. He is also a heavy user, if you arent familiar with him.

Also said...it beats G3, Note 4, S5 Prime and ties Turbo for my usage.

And this..Note: Everyone's usage is different, so my "screen on time" number isn't super important. I NEVER get 6 hours SOT from any phone. Some do.

Upvote 0
Also said...it beats G3, Note 4, S5 Prime and ties Turbo for my usage.

Well that's encouraging. Hopefully others report similar results.

I know everyone's usage is different, but I feel like SOT is a pretty reliable litmus test overall. That said I'd take between 5 and 6 hours consistent as a win. I'm lucky if my G3 gets anywhere near 5.

Upvote 0
The people who work for those tech sites and have gotten their review units are under a NDA ( Non Disclosure Act ) of sorts. A stipulation of them receiving a review unit from either Google or Motorola that they signed says that until the 21st, they cannot release a video or written review that covers more than an unboxing and first look/impressions video/article.

So on the 21st at midnight, expect the floodgates to open with full reviews!

Review embargo ends on the 12th, not the 21st, from what I understand FWIW.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Might as well start one. Here is usage from day 2. Came off the charger at 7:30. Photo was taken at 11:00. Already down to 81%. I've been on wifi the entire time other than my 20 15 minute commute to work. Looks like it's using about 5.4% per hour. At that rate it looks like my battery will be completely drained at about 18 hours (give or take). My screen time has been very minimal.

Trying to post screen shots from Tapatalk but it keeps crashing. Not sure why? Maybe it needs to be updated?

Upvote 0
Looking over on XDA. Battery life is anywhere from 3.5 to a little over 6.

After messing around with various settings, my NexSix should power off with 4.5hrs or so of SOT. Considering it wasn't running all day like this I hope to get the same if not more tomorrow.

Edit: wait. EDIT? Holy shnikes, EDIT!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I just put mine on the charger after taking it off at 10:00 Sunday morning and killing it around 8:00 Tuesday evening. I had battery saver turned on during the overnight hours. The screen was nowhere close to the top consumer of battery (Play services was, followed by cell standby), but I did have about 3 hours of SOT on that charge.

If I can remind myself to use the N9 when I'm at home, I expect that I can routinely go every-other-night between charges, based on going two nights between charges this time around.

Upvote 0
Took my phone off the charger at 8:30am, fully charged.

At work I browsed around the net a bit and checked Facebook over a dozen times and talked to my fiancé for a little over six hours straight, WiFi and Bluetooth enabled. I keep my screen brightness at a little under 50%.

Got home and had moderate use browsing the net and Facebook. Currently, at 8:52pm, I have 45% battery left.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Ever since I rooted mine (a procedure I've done at least fifty times in 3 yrs) the result is very odd.

Battery life is about the same, but I get much higher miles per gallon from my car and I don't even remember opening the hood...ha...ha...ha!.:)

Without root your phone is lighter, so that accounts for the mileage. :p :rolleyes:

Reactions: zipred
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones