• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Calendar App?

What's your favorite calendar app? (Note: multiple choice ok)

• Stock, whatever comes with the phone

Votes: 70 17.4%
  • Pure Calendar

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • Calwidget

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Agenda Widget

Votes: 15 3.7%
  • Smooth Calendar

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • QuickCalendarWidget

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pure Calendar

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Pure Grid Calendar

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • S2 Calendar

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Calendar Pad

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • iRT Calendar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pocket Informant

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • Business Calendar

Votes: 57 14.1%
  • Gemini Calendar

Votes: 12 3.0%
  • other

Votes: 27 6.7%
  • PimlicalA

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • Jorte

Votes: 90 22.3%
  • Touch Calendar

Votes: 24 6.0%
  • Calengoo

Votes: 31 7.7%
  • Calendar Snooze

Votes: 6 1.5%

• Total voters
This is an interesteing thread for me, but I still can't find what I need. I have Jorte and its good but the fundamental problem is the integration of tasks into a calendar. Outlook 2007 is very close to getting this right, but still does not allow tasks to be scheduled by time as well as date, just like appointments. There was a great little app for Palm that allowed you to do this, but even Outlook is missing this vital detail that means you can finally ditch a paper organiser. The problem is that the task manager in google mail is pretty lame, the interface is poor, and the sync with Jorte / GT task is a bit hit and miss. With Jorte you can only view one task list (work, mobile, personal, default) etc with no option for all.
For any developers reading, then for me the ideal calendar for business use therefore should have the following features:
- sync with google and/or Outlook (you can sync google and outlook from your PC)
- Set tasks with a start and end time (Outlook does a start and end date only)
- Show tasks in the daily calendar along with events, appointments etc.
- Swap between calendar and agenda views
- A widget 4x2 to sit on the home page showing upcoming events (events AND tasks)

In fact the last feature would be great even without task time stamping - still haven't found one that will do this.

Upvote 0
is anyone else having trouble with google sync taking 45 mins to an hour to sync?

I can't even get mine to really truly sync. it says it did... (taking forever) but then only shows about 1 out of 10 of my appointments... and doesn't show ANY of my shared calendars.

I really like many pieces of the android platform, but I'm with Ryan (posted above) I really miss the pre calendar. it basically looked just like my google calendar.

Upvote 0
I just spent the last two hours trying Jorte, Calendar Pad, Pure Grid, and Pure Agenda, and i've decided the calendar widget in LPP is the best option right now. Most of these work fine, and similarly, except for one fatal flaw...i NEED event end times to be displayed. This allows me to quickly know when i can schedule something, or when i can tell someone i'll be somewhere. Jorte would be my solution of choice, if not for this issue.

Ideally, i'd have a 4x4 widget that would mimic the week display in google calendars, but that is a lot of info to fit on the screen.

Upvote 0
the standard one seems really awkward and far to difficult to add events.

i much prefered my old phones calander where its month view but you can enet on a given day and edit events and its just a matter of pressing back to go back to the month view. it seriously shouldnt be as hard as the one on my xperia!

i want an actual easy to use calander app not a home screen icon.

Upvote 0
HELP! I am switching from the Palm Centro to the EVO. I am looking for an app that will allow me to view the monthly calendar and see color dots or icons for each activity (category) for each day of the month. I have several different categories (family, business, child's activities, etc.) and they each have their own color so when I view the monthly I can see when I am working and when the children have activities, etc. just by the dots that are in each day (doesn't have to be words). People who used this with the Palm will know what I mean (I hope)

So far, only the weekly views break it down by color I need the monthly view to have the colors.

Is there such an app out there, please help:thinking:

Upvote 0
HELP! I am switching from the Palm Centro to the EVO. I am looking for an app that will allow me to view the monthly calendar and see color dots or icons for each activity (category) for each day of the month. I have several different categories (family, business, child's activities, etc.) and they each have their own color so when I view the monthly I can see when I am working and when the children have activities, etc. just by the dots that are in each day (doesn't have to be words). People who used this with the Palm will know what I mean (I hope)

So far, only the weekly views break it down by color I need the monthly view to have the colors.

Is there such an app out there, please help:thinking:

Pure Grid calendar widget will do this, lines not dots but it helps a lot.

Upvote 0
I have tried all the calendar apps mentioned in this thread with no luck. I book my appts back to back every 30 min and need a really good day view that I can view the available openings in my day quickly. I also would like to customize my default options so that when I book I do not have to make every appt 30 and make sure it goes to my gmail and uncheck the alarm. Its such a pain to book how its set up now. I am an old palm user and it is sad that their 6 year old calendar functioned so much better than everything available now. Pocket informant has been my second favorite since palm but its not available to droid and I always ran into gliches whenever they or blackberry would update....I guess I will keep holding out for a great calendar app.

Upvote 0
I have tried all the calendar apps mentioned in this thread with no luck. I book my appts back to back every 30 min and need a really good day view that I can view the available openings in my day quickly. I also would like to customize my default options so that when I book I do not have to make every appt 30 and make sure it goes to my gmail and uncheck the alarm. Its such a pain to book how its set up now. I am an old palm user and it is sad that their 6 year old calendar functioned so much better than everything available now. Pocket informant has been my second favorite since palm but its not available to droid and I always ran into gliches whenever they or blackberry would update....I guess I will keep holding out for a great calendar app.

Why can't you use the stock calendar in day view and gesture scroll left and right?

Upvote 0
Why can't you use the stock calendar in day view and gesture scroll left and right?

Trust me if I could I would love to. This calendar is such a pain. I use only my handheld to book while on the phone with a client....never the computer, so I need just a few things to make scheduling fast and easy.
1-the day view only shows hour time slots and if you are booking in 15-3o min appointments this is not an effcient way to book or view your day.
2-The repeat appt option is 100% usless, so for my clients that come every 2 weeks same day and time I have to enter by hand.
3-I want to change my default to 30 min time slots, gmail calender and no alarm so I don not have to do this for every appt I make all day long.
These are simple basic things a calendar should have and the only reason I even have a smart phone is to make my life easier day to day and this calendar is not.

Upvote 0
Trust me if I could I would love to. This calendar is such a pain. I use only my handheld to book while on the phone with a client....never the computer, so I need just a few things to make scheduling fast and easy.
1-the day view only shows hour time slots and if you are booking in 15-3o min appointments this is not an effcient way to book or view your day.
2-The repeat appt option is 100% usless, so for my clients that come every 2 weeks same day and time I have to enter by hand.
3-I want to change my default to 30 min time slots, gmail calender and no alarm so I don not have to do this for every appt I make all day long.
These are simple basic things a calendar should have and the only reason I even have a smart phone is to make my life easier day to day and this calendar is not.

Try DejaOffice, sync only the calendar and let me know what you think.

Upvote 0
I like the calendar that came with my android but on previous phone I've had I could have different "alarms" or reminders go off based on the event. For example if I was setting up on my calendar a football game I could have the alarm remind me by playing the Monday night football theme. And then if I set up on my calendar church I could have it remind me by playing Amazing Grace...etc. Is there a way to do this with the calendar that came with the phone (I just see a way to change the ringtone for all events not specific ones) or what app should I get to accomplish this? I'm new to this so maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot. Thanks

Upvote 0
Check out Quick Addroid, (Free app!) it allows you to define six quick add shortcuts, also defining the calendars they will appear in, you can set up some basic items so you have a few default times with default reminders, really works around much that is wrong with the Android calendar app. It gives you ability to set more flexible repeats, so every 2 weeks is possibly, still not every Tuesday and Thursday for example but that isn't that common anyhow.

I think this just trumped Gemini as my data entry alternative. I will keep Gemini but only to enter those weird events, and hopefully it can become a better all-around calendar app.

Edit: actually, you can create a template for M-W-F or T-TH appointments, so if you do any sort of normal recurring appointments you can set this up no problem.

This app needs some time to get it set up right but it looks to me to give the most flexibility in one place to work around some of the issues with the calendar.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I haven't had much luck finding a calendar app that will allow copy past appointments. I know jorte does this but it's very clunky. I'd love to be able to touch/hold on the appt and have a copy command come up. I love how easy it was on windows mobile.

Any apps that have a good copy/paste appointment feature?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Upvote 0
You know, if the stock app would just allow you to default to the Google Calendar it'd probably be fine for me. Having to manually select it every time you enter in an event is an infuriating and unnecessary annoyance.

What's worse? Froyo seems to not fix this.

This is the exact reason I started using Jorte and Gemini, so I could specify which calendar. If I didn't think of it when making an entry I'd put it in the wrong calendar. Just pissed me off. I'm surprised some of the renowned calendar/agenda apps haven't ported to Android yet.

Upvote 0
I used to use the Calendar that came with LauncherPro Plus but since I have stopped using LauncherPro Plus I have found a much better option:

Pure Grid Calendar Widget is the best I have found yet, syncs perfectly with all three of my Google Calendars:

Xu45

ZwHp

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones