• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Calendar App?

What's your favorite calendar app? (Note: multiple choice ok)

• Stock, whatever comes with the phone

Votes: 70 17.4%
  • Pure Calendar

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • Calwidget

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Agenda Widget

Votes: 15 3.7%
  • Smooth Calendar

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • QuickCalendarWidget

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pure Calendar

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Pure Grid Calendar

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • S2 Calendar

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Calendar Pad

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • iRT Calendar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pocket Informant

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • Business Calendar

Votes: 57 14.1%
  • Gemini Calendar

Votes: 12 3.0%
  • other

Votes: 27 6.7%
  • PimlicalA

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • Jorte

Votes: 90 22.3%
  • Touch Calendar

Votes: 24 6.0%
  • Calengoo

Votes: 31 7.7%
  • Calendar Snooze

Votes: 6 1.5%

• Total voters
I've seen that, but I can't add a new calendar. It stays greyed out under the Google calendars.

make sure you add it on the Google.com (Gmail) side as well as on the Android stock calendar. the third party calendar apps all mostly pull their information from the Android stock calendar so the info is only as good as what's there.

good luck.

Upvote 0
P.S. And Pimlical/CESD has just announced the Android version... $4.95

Pimlico Software home page

Datebk user here (still carry T/X along with HTC Evo.)

Just took a look at Pimlical. One item is the dealbreaker for me, It uses the incredibly slow and clumsy Android default time entry feature, with the +/- buttons to change the time digits.

I'll consider it if they give it a simple number keypad time entry method, so if I need an event to start at 1410, all I need to do is touch 1 4 3 0, and save, instead of endless tapping of buttons or twirling silly mechanical wheel simulations.

One of the best features of Datebook is that it takes only a couple seconds to enter an even time if it's not one already on screen.

Upvote 0
That actually works pretty well, thanks Gekko. Although I still would like a Calendar App that shares between two Gmail accounts automatically.

Unlike Jorte and most of the others, Calengoo can directly sync with google calendar, independent of what the android calendar is doing. I'm not sure what works with Jorte or not, but in calengoo you can directly add another google account.

Upvote 0

Just took a look at Pimlical. One item is the dealbreaker for me, It uses the incredibly slow and clumsy Android default time entry feature, with the +/- buttons to change the time digits.

I'll consider it if they give it a simple number keypad time entry method, so if I need an event to start at 1410, all I need to do is touch 1 4 3 0, and save, instead of endless tapping of buttons or twirling silly mechanical wheel simulations.

One of the best features of Datebook is that it takes only a couple seconds to enter an even time if it's not one already on screen.

Take a look at Pocket Informant. It does not use the horrible Android default time entry feature at all. Personally, I'm liking Calengoo better than PI, because it's faster to load a new month, but Calengoo only gets the date picker right and doesn't improve on the time entry. That's still miles better than most that use the default date entry feature.

Here's hoping that that feature gets improved in Calendgoo and Pimlical. Does Pimlical use the default date picker or does it have a calendar based date picker?

Upvote 0
IMO -
1. by far the best looking interface. looks like a page from a beautiful paper calendar. so polished it makes all others look amateurish.

2. not just a widget to access the stock calendar. it's its own app. you can easily enter/change events right from Jorte.
3. i love the big 4X4 widget.
4. so customizable.
5. so smooth and fluid to swipe between months.
6. simple yet elegant yet so powerful.

i love it.

Thanks. Glad you've found something you are happy with. I agree with some and disagree with others, but in all cases appreciate the info and opinions. To reciprocate in the sharing of information and opinions, I reply to each below.

1. I actually have the opposite reaction on look. I'd rate Business Calendar first, Calengoo second, and PI third, although I initially liked PI best on look.

2. None of the calendars listed on the wiki are just widgets--all allow entering and changing events, and the calendar-based date picker as part of that is one of the features that Jorte is missing compared to PI and Calengoo, at least.

3. Most have a lot of widget options built in. But you can also use a widget from a different calendar or a stand-alone widget. The Pure Widgets Calendar seems popular.

4. Lots are customizable...

5. Yes, swiping between weeks or months is really important to me too. That's the main reason I like Calengoo better than PI. I hadn't compared Jorte because its lack of a good date picker dropped it out of the running for me so early on. But I just tried it. Faster than PI, slower than Calengoo. Maybe a little smoother than Calengoo, but definitely slower. And it has a disconcerting habit of highlighting the cell you are on as you swipe, which makes it seem like it's interpreting the swipe as a select.

6. Yes, getting that balance of including key features without bloat is important. For me, that line seems to fall between Calengoo and PI, whereas Jorte doesn't quite cut it. But one person's bloat is another's lack of key features.

Upvote 0

Fixes and New Features in V-1.0.03

Adds new Date Picker which is far more efficient for quickly selecting a date (a new and more efficient time picker is also in the works and will be added shortly). There is a preference (UsePimlicalDateTimePicker[Date/Time Items]) that you can set to false, if you prefer to use the standard Android Date Picker.

Pimlical Version and Slipstream History

Reactions: chrs
Upvote 0
Is there a calendar app out there that has a widget with a weekly (or even bi-weekly) display option that is also interactive? I like the look of the Jorte widget, but I don't like that when I touch the day I want to edit, it takes me to the current day instead of something later that week. Does such a calendar app exist? I'm not looking for an agenda app either. I'd like the days I have free to still show up, so I can add something directly to that day from the widget.

Upvote 0
Is there a calendar app out there that has a widget with a weekly (or even bi-weekly) display option that is also interactive? I like the look of the Jorte widget, but I don't like that when I touch the day I want to edit, it takes me to the current day instead of something later that week. Does such a calendar app exist? I'm not looking for an agenda app either. I'd like the days I have free to still show up, so I can add something directly to that day from the widget.

try it again. it should take you to the day you touch.

Upvote 0
Yes, and there is no sync button on my droid pro. There is also no place to set the sync frequency. So I have to turn the sync on then off again to sync. It sucks!!! Unless I just can't find it, but I looked everywhere.

There is no need for sync frequency, this is PUSH.
At each new event add/modif/delete, it refresh.

If it doesn't works, you have a serious problem on your phone.

Upvote 0
All I want in a calendar app: when you set an appointment for 10:30 and add a 5 minute reminder, that the alarm goes off at 10:25 AND at 10:30 (the actual appointment time), and continues to go off every 5 minutes until it's shut off without having to hit the snooze button.

I'd be willing to live with everything else about that calendar app as it is.

How could the built-in calendar possibly have been released in a state where you set an appointment for 10:30 and nothing happens at 10:30?

Honestly !!!!!!

Upvote 0
I have been using CalendarGoo for a few weeks and quite like it, but there is no way it is worth $6.

I have no problem paying 6 or even $10 for an app that does something unique or something I need, but I dont think I can convince myself to pay $6 for something that just upgrades the calendar that came with my Android.

I have been using it as a seperate calendar...I keep my work appointments in my main calendar, and use calendargoo for personal stuff with my Google Calendar. Now I guess I will have to try something else, because it expires on the 18th, and I am not paying that much for it.

Upvote 0
The Android version of Calengoo is still cheaper than the iphone version (which is $6.99). When it comes to calendar apps, I am of the opinion that Pimlico products have always been the benchmark for excellence (I was a 10 year Datebk user). Since Pimlical is only selling for $4.95, I would reason that no other calendar app should cost more than that. Unfortunately, I cannot test out Pimlical because I am only running 2.1. But I have been very pleased with Calengoo beta over the last two months. As soon as I get a replacement phone (my bluetooth is defective), I will forgo a side of McDonald's french fries and pay the difference to buy Calengoo.

Upvote 0
I don't believe Pimlical is in the Android market yet, it's only available via the link I posted above (click on Here Ya Go).

Lock, Pimlical is much more than just an 'upgrade to the calendar that came with my Android'. If you are unfamiliar with the product I can understand why you feel that way, however, for those of us who have complicated schedules, Datebk3/4/5/6 and now Pimlical are essential pieces of our workday, and well worth the $4.95 (right now, but that will go up). You don't want or need the features then there are plenty of cheap or free alternatives.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones