1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Beware! Android Trojan Disguises Itself As Angry Birds Game

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by socrates0, Apr 13, 2012.

1. socrates0

socrates0 Android Enthusiast

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

This is one of the reasons why we do not allow piracy on this forum. The primary reason is that it hurts developers. The second reason is that pirated apps often carry malware.

Unforgiven, chanchan05 and mikedt like this.
  3. pixaro

pixaro Well-Known Member

It is always better to install apps/games from Google Play Shop only.

4. karandpr

karandpr Android Expert

Droid Dream used ratc ,this one uses gingerbreak .I seriously doubt 2.3.4 devices and above will be affected .Google patched GB exploit in November IMO .
    Still not understanding the logic over pirating a free app....

5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User

'Cuz it's Angry Birds silly.

6. omgstomp

omgstomp Lurker

I'm a developer so unauthorized app installs are allowed on my device. However, I have avast, so hopefully I shouldn't be effected :)

7. bioforce

bioforce Well-Known Member

Beliving you'll be okay installing random apks just because you have avast is beyond silly.

8. mikedt

mikedt 你好

What I don't get is why pirate it? :thinking: Angry Birds Space is a free game on Android. Seems stupid.

9. jerofld

FYI, there is an ad-free version and a HD version that are not free.

10. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I've just installed the free version from Play, not seen any ads though. Didn't see any ads in the original Angry Birds either, which also came from Google Play. I've not got any ad blocking things.

It's not using AirPush for ads is it? Because I think that doesn't operate here in China, USA only?

jerofld likes this.
  11. jerofld

No, they don't have push ads. I have Angry Birds Space and it has never pushed an ad. It would be deleted in a heart beat if it did.

It puts the ads in the menus and such when you pause, change levels, etc.

mikedt likes this.
  12. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I've not seen that at all, and I've had Angry Birds on my phone for months, that's why I didn't realise it was ad-supported. Thinking about it, my copy of Angry Birds and Angry Birds Space came from Google Play, because I bought the phone in the UK. Android phones sold in China don't have Play.

I've seen Angry Birds on phones and tablets that where sold here. Not sure if ad-supported, free or pirated though, probably the later.

Is it using AdMob, Google's mobile ad-service? Which I think doesn't operate in China.

BTW many things Google don't operate or are blocked in the PRC. e.g. Search. Google.cn seems to operate quite independently of Google USA.

jerofld likes this.
  13. jerofld

I don't have it installed anymore, and I have an ad blocker, so I would only see occasional "buy the HD version" ads that were built in to the game and just assumed normal ads or ad mobs would be there if I was not ad blocking.