• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] I have S-OFF! (but no recovery?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you brave enough to try, here's what you need to do:

0) read the revolutionary documentation page here:
public:revolutionary [RootWiki]

1) you need to have USB debugging enabled on the phone: Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging (check the checkbox)

2) you need to make sure you have the fastboot drivers installed for your phone. The revolutionary site links to it on their documentation page.

3) download revolutionary and extract everything in the .zip file into a temp folder anywhere you want. Plug in your phone to the PC via the usb cable. Note that the revolutionary website brings you to a page where you can generate a beta key. You'll use this a bit later.

4) make sure windows isn't complaining about drivers at this point. If so, you need to resolve that before moving on.

5) run the revolutionary executable file. A DOS window will appear. It will auto-detect your phone's serial number. Go back to the beta key generation form on the revolutionary website and generate your key. Enter in your key into the prompt in the revolutionary DOS window.

6) sit back and watch the phone load up HBOOT a few times. On the 3rd time, you will have S-OFF. On the fourth and final time, it will be bannered with a magenta Revolutionary label.

7) say yes to download and flash clockworkmod recovery.

That's it for S-OFF! Stay tuned for the actual rooting part.

Upvote 0
can you confirm having clockwork mod? cuz i dont have it i have stock unless there is some new way of getting to it im at a loss

hmm i can confirm that I don't have CWM either. When I chose recovery from HBOOT, I got the splash screen for a long time, and then it just booted regularly. Never saw any recovery.

I'll see if I can find/request the recovery image, so we can flash it manually via fastboot.

Upvote 0
Over at xda, this seems to be a viable recovery image:
[RECOVERY] [EVO3D] TeamWin Recovery Project (twrp) v1.0.0 [7/29/11] - xda-developers

And here are instructions on how to flash it:
[HOWTO] How to Perm-Root/S-off Your HTC Evo 3D AND FLASH TWRP - xda-developers

This is a bit advanced; just a heads up for anyone who may be new to the rooting scene. Let me see if I can clear a path here.

EDIT:
Recovery image successfully flashed and verified working. successfully flashed superuser .zip. Looks like I'm fully rooted now. Instructions for manual fastboot to come.

Reactions: Jackietreehorn
Upvote 0
i have s-off and recovery. if you have the new android sdk tools, the fastboot command isnt in the same place as adb, so you have to look for it and move it if it is not there then the command: fastboot flash recovery recovery-name.img will work for those with issues as this was mine, but i am doing a nandroid as we speak

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
Cool, so it looks like the recovery is working for some but not for others.

I tried to re-run Revolutionary to see if I could get it to retry the recovery portion, but it failed at the outset; said my HBOOT was not compatible with the tool :)

Anyhow, I just typed up a guide on how to get fastboot working via the SDK. Check it out here:
http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all...nually-flash-recovery-image-via-fastboot.html

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones