• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Compare, contrast, opinions: GSIII vs EVO 4G LTE / Sprint-CDMA-S4 only

If this has already been posted I am sorry for bring it up again.

Hello! I am no where new to Android however I am new (maybe) to the Sprint network.

I am currently on Verizon using the HTC Rezound (damn good phone) and well because of company changes (dads work) are family finds in their best interest to switch over to Sprint.

I have done some research on both phones on the LTE network that Sprint is providing. Seems like the network is really holding back the true potential of these phones, even on LTE. I know that both phones have 4G LTE radios, 1.5 gHz S4 CPU Chips, 8 MP; 1080P HD camera senors and ship w/ ICS.

I love my HTC, the build quality is second to none, the Snapdragon (S3, I know the EVO has the S4) is a great ship! So I feel more bias to the HTC. The reveiws that I have seen said that it gets better Quadrant scores, better widgets, has a durable feel and has better personalizations for the end user. The kickstand is a nice touch as well as "ImageSense." HOWEVER, its does only have 1 GB compared to the GS3's 2 GB. And am very partial to the removable battery.

But on the same note the GS3 has a positive features as well. I love the fact it has a removable battery (just my personal opinion) it also has all the "Biult for Humans (which they are calling Samsung Motions)" and finally a 2100 mAh battery. The biggest down fall(s) I see with GS3 is the fact that has a plastic cheap feel, the sleep/wake button is on the side (hate that) and that you can't personalize it like Sense 4.0

But these are just my opinions, I'd love for everyone else to put in feed back.

You might want to check out this thread. We've been having a good discussion here.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/542768-compare-contrast-opinions-gsiii-vs-evo-4g-lte-11.html

Upvote 0
I have been watching this thread and many others for a while. I have been out of the country and could not order the EVO on it's release date and knew the Galaxy S3 was going to be released soon. The Phonedog comparison was the review I have been waiting for however it really swayed me in favor of the EVO because the when it comes down to it the software is easy enough to dransfer to either devise and I feel the EVO has the better hardware all together:

Screen
Kickstand
Camera button
Audio
Camera
Look and form

The S3 has 1gb more ram (cool but I'm no power user), the processor and GPU are the same. In the end though when I get back I am going to go into a store and compare them side by side. Thanks for all the great posts and insight.

Chris.

You have to remember that the GS3 comes with a lot of software (both from Samsung and Sprint), which I consider bloated because you can't remove them whether you like it or not. I think their software is pretty cool though, but I don't need it.

The GS3 comes with 2 GB of RAM but a good subset is reserved and can't be touched (processes and services, shared memory for graphics unlike International version).

IN GENERAL I humbly think it's important to pick a phone you would like as stock that meets your needs. If you root your phone and flash CM9, I doubt it would work 100% to the phone's fullest capabilities.

I'm just glad the competition among Android products are so high. I too had a hard time choosing.

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
The main reason I am going for the GS3 this time around is for the battery life and internal memory. I know that LTEvo has great battery life but the non removable battery thing gets to me. Its just how I am. And 32GB of internal memory is just what I need. I have always wanted a phone with a lot of internal memory. I still have a lot of love for HTC, but for now I got to try out Samsung.

From what I understand the NFC is on the battery so you will have to purchase OEM if that is the case. Does anyone know for sure about this?

Thanks Chris

Upvote 0
I went ahead and purchased the LTEvo and I really, really like it. Thin, big, fast, clean lines, no lagging, no GPS issues, nothing. Though I've noticed when the screen is mostly white, there are two tiny pinkish dots on the screen that look like a hardware problem (there are no scratches or anything indicating that I've dropped it). So I will be returning this LTEvo and most likely replacing it with a newer version.

The main thing so far that I don't like about the phone is the battery life. Fairly weak in my opinion.

Give the battery a couple cycles that seemed to help a lot of ppl including myself... I am AMAZED with the battery life of ltevo... I havent had a phone last this long since the flip days lol

Upvote 0
From what I understand the NFC is on the battery so you will have to purchase OEM if that is the case. Does anyone know for sure about this?

Thanks Chris

This is true. If you want NFC to work you have to purchase an oem battery. I have done so already. I saw a few batteries on EBay that claimed to REM, but when I asked about the NFC, they told me it was not NFC enabled. So make sure you ask.

Upvote 0
The SGS III is better in most ways, such as the smooth UI and better Internet connectivity and browser performance. The SGS III has better outdoor camera performance and wider FOV.

HTC Evo 4G has a worse camera IMO.

The video camera lags at 19 FPS and the outdoor performance is crap. The indoor camera performance is better, though.

It's clear that you're repeating things that you read and you've never handled the Evo LTE.

2mq54d4.jpg

Many other excellent photos taken by owners posted in our forums at -

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/555778-images-taken-your-evo-4g-lte.html

The 19 FPS video remark comes from a review discussed and clarified earlier in this thread.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but please don't say how one UI performs without having used it.

Upvote 0
I'm 6 days from my next upgrade. Up until a few days ago, I was 100% positive that the LTEvo would be my next device...no question...none...and now I find myself back on the fence. I'm very leery of Samsung having suffered their gps and pathetically slow update issues on several devices. Now that the S3 has been released and there' is some data, it appears that the LTEvo has more bugs. I've seen no gps issues at all from S3 owners but various reception issues with the LTEvo. The removable battery (!!!!), slight battery life advantage and 2GB of ram are awfully compelling even though I prefer HTC over Samsung. I've read a few reviews from LTEvo owners who swapped to the S3, all positive as expected. Unfortunately, I've seen no swaps in the opposite direction. Choosing between these two a very nice problem to have as both are great devices, but a problem non the less. Right now my heart says HTC and my brain says Samsung......grrrrrrrrrrrrr! 6 days left to sort it all out!

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I'm 6 days from my next upgrade. Up until a few days ago, I was 100% positive that the LTEvo would be my next device...no question...none...and now I find myself back on the fence. I'm very leery of Samsung having suffered their gps and pathetically slow update issues on several devices. Now that the S3 has been released and there' is some data, it appears that the LTEvo has more bugs. I've seen no gps issues at all from S3 owners but various reception issues with the LTEvo. The removable battery (!!!!), slight battery life advantage and 2GB of ram are awfully compelling even though I prefer HTC over Samsung. I've read a few reviews from LTEvo owners who swapped to the S3, all positive as expected. Unfortunately, I've seen no swaps in the opposite direction. Choosing between these two a very nice problem to have as both are great devices, but a problem non the less. Right now my heart says HTC and my brain says Samsung......grrrrrrrrrrrrr! 6 days left to sort it all out!

You're just gonna have to play with both phones hand-on at Sprint. Check the RAM on both phones and report back please :p

I have yet to have any issues with my phone (doesn't mean they don't exist) with calls and gps. I use google maps a lot. Hardware is 0003.

I just read that the GS3 (in the subforum) had audio issues from video recordings. It lacks bass. I don't know how wide spread this problem is. It is a phone after all.

Upvote 0
I'm rooted and think that a tweaked LTEvo is phenomenal and trouble free (pretty sure that the GPS issues others have are memory management related and that can be addressed in software, although I know of a few cats that got hardware with that lemony scent).

I probably wouldn't feel the same way about the SGS3 until I rooted and tweaked that as well, due to similar performance complaints I've seen in those forums (but manifesting differently).

Eh, brand new phones always have issues, don't care who makes them, what can you do, ya know?

Make workarounds, wait for updates, root and fix, or check out competing models - same as it ever was. Same as it ever was. ;) :)

Upvote 0
Having played with the One X and EVO 4G, I can say that the video recording on both is very laggy at 19 FPS. It's unforgivable given that most smartphones these days come with 30 FPS video recording as a standard.

The quality on the EVO 4G is quite horrible too.

Owning one I can tell you that you get as low as 19 FPS when the lighting is low, otherwise it's higher. Try any phone in low light and see what you get.

You are certainly entitled to your opinions, clearly you hate one and love the other. But your statements of fact aren't so, they are your views.

The SGS3 has a higher recording bitrate and will therefore tend to produce smoother videos in general. That is a statement of fact.

Most people are of the opinion that both are high quality phones.

And we are all presuming that when you say Evo 4G, you don't mean that, you mean Evo 4G LTE.

PS - when were you in the United States to try either the Evo 4G LTE or the US version of the SGS3? Neither are distributed outside the United States and international One X vs international SGS3 comparisons you've made do not apply to the performance or build differences unique to our phones on Sprint.

I also noticed that about all of posts are strictly to share your love of Samsung. That's fine, but please don't argue for arguing's sake.

Cheers, thanks! :)

Upvote 0
Owning one I can tell you that you get as low as 19 FPS when the lighting is low, otherwise it's higher. Try any phone in low light and see what you get.

You are certainly entitled to your opinions, clearly you hate one and love the other. But your statements of fact aren't so, they are your views.

The SGS3 has a higher recording bitrate and will therefore tend to produce smoother videos in general. That is a statement of fact.

Most people are of the opinion that both are high quality phones.

And we are all presuming that when you say Evo 4G, you don't mean that, you mean Evo 4G LTE.

PS - when were you in the United States to try either the Evo 4G LTE or the US version of the SGS3? Neither are distributed outside the United States and international One X vs international SGS3 comparisons you've made do not apply to the performance or build differences unique to our phones on Sprint.

I also noticed that about all of posts are strictly to share your love of Samsung. That's fine, but please don't argue for arguing's sake.

Cheers, thanks! :)
Hey Earlymon,

is there a way to increase the fps on the ELTvo? I know on the OG EVO there was.

Chris.

Upvote 0
Hey Earlymon,

is there a way to increase the fps on the ELTvo? I know on the OG EVO there was.

Chris.

Our first performance upgrade for the camera just came out yesterday. How does 1080p at 40 Mbps grab you?

[MOD] HQ Camera - xda-developers

It's only a day old, so they are still working out porting it to all roms. Works on Charmeleon and I believe flex. :)

Still capped at 30 FPS, btw. Bluray is 24.

The Sammy got a similar update -

Samsung Galaxy S III gets 30Mbps 1080p video thanks to a software tweak

Upvote 0
I'm telling you to go for the Evo 4G LTE. Whatever problems that may be going on right now, I'm sure they can be sorted out. HTC is the clear and better choice of the two. :)

Don't make the mistake and choose the wrong phone for the right reason. ☜

Upvote 0
Having owned both phones I like the SGS3 over the LTEvo. here is what i like about both

Screen: to me a tie both are really pretty!

Build: LTEvo a nice solid phone (SGS3 not cheap feeling in any way!)

Sexy: the blue SGS3 is one damn sexy phone!

Cameras: Pictures and Video quality SGS3...camera UI and video audio quality LTEvo The camera button is cool.

Speaker: GS3 loud but breaks up a little bit LTEVO was too soft.

UI: I use Apex launcher so so Sense Vs. Touchwiz doesn't matter to me but as far a Phone dialer,contacts,gallery and menus SGS3 is better in all

Gps & Radios: tie both phones worked fine for me, did not see a difference.

Extras: LTEvo- Beats Audio made a slight difference in the sound through earphones nothing special. SGS3 all the gestures and voice commands built into it are awsome!

Just my opinion

Upvote 0
Having owned both phones I like the SGS3 over the LTEvo. here is what i like about both

Screen: to me a tie both are really pretty!

Build: LTEvo a nice solid phone (SGS3 not cheap feeling in any way!)

Sexy: the blue SGS3 is one damn sexy phone!

Cameras: Pictures and Video quality SGS3...camera UI and video audio quality LTEvo The camera button is cool.

Speaker: GS3 loud but breaks up a little bit LTEVO was too soft.

UI: I use Apex launcher so so Sense Vs. Touchwiz doesn't matter to me but as far a Phone dialer,contacts,gallery and menus SGS3 is better in all

Gps & Radios: tie both phones worked fine for me, did not see a difference.

Extras: LTEvo- Beats Audio made a slight difference in the sound through earphones nothing special. SGS3 all the gestures and voice commands built into it are awsome!

Just my opinion

These are the types of post I like. Unbias opinion with none of that fan boy crap that goes on. :tu

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones