• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Complete Guide: Root, unrEVOked, Titanium, Tether, Nandroid, AdFree, animation, and remove apps

Unzip Google SDK download. You will see a folder called android-sdk-windows. Move that folder to the root of the c:\ drive, and rename it to sdk so that its location is c:\sdk.
Run c:\sdk\SDK Setup.exe (You will receive error messages, this is okay. Once the application is installed you can close all windows.

How do I do this?

Same question. There does not seem to be a "SDK Setup.exe" file.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking of rooting my new Incredible to get rid of the bloatware. At what point in the guide is the phone actually rooted? After step 4? What is the difference between Nandroid and Titanium Backups? And reading the unrooting guide, it mentions something like "Download this file and flash through clockwork recovery." What does it mean by "flash?"

Upvote 0
I'm thinking of rooting my new Incredible to get rid of the bloatware. At what point in the guide is the phone actually rooted? After step 4? What is the difference between Nandroid and Titanium Backups? And reading the unrooting guide, it mentions something like "Download this file and flash through clockwork recovery." What does it mean by "flash?"

Your phone is rooted after you run the unrevoked recovery tool.

Nandroid backs up the entire phone at the phone's current state. Doing a nandroid restore restores the entire phone to that previous state. Titanium backup backs up individual programs and restores individual programs. It's like the difference between a canon and a rifle. They both do the same thing, one is just more precise.

Flash basically means install. When it says to flash a file from recovery you boot into clockwork recovery, select "install zip from sd card" (or something like that) and install the file.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Same question. There does not seem to be a "SDK Setup.exe" file.

Maybe they renamed it to something else... just setup.exe.

I'm trying to use your guide as well, and I'm stuck here. The only .exe that resembles a setup is "SDK Manager.exe" and running it produces an error since the Java development environment isn't present and it exits.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I'm trying to use your guide as well, and I'm stuck here. The only .exe that resembles a setup is "SDK Manager.exe" and running it produces an error since the Java development environment isn't present and it exits.

Any thoughts?

I am also seeing the same thing (no SKD setup.exe the only .exe is SDK Manager.exe). Is android-sdk_r08-windows.zip the correct file to download from google?

Upvote 0
I am also seeing the same thing (no SKD setup.exe the only .exe is SDK Manager.exe). Is android-sdk_r08-windows.zip the correct file to download from google?

You run SDK Manager.exe. It will open up and give you the option to "Install" a bunch of stuff. Click the "install" button.

It will install everything you need. Adb is now located in the platform-tools directory rather than the tools directory.

I'll update the guide.

Upvote 0
You run SDK Manager.exe. It will open up and give you the option to "Install" a bunch of stuff. Click the "install" button.

It will install everything you need. Adb is now located in the platform-tools directory rather than the tools directory.

I'll update the guide.

I ran it, but it gave me an error because I don't have the Java Development Environment, and then it exited without coming to an install screen.

If I were to go to the Development 101 section of the forums and install the entire development environment, would that be a problem? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure about the driver changes. (I've been meaning to install it anyway so I could do some development.)

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
Dangit I'm stuck. I followed all directions to a T and now I'm stuck with unrevoked "Waiting for Device. Plug phone in now.....

I feel like an idiot. This is pretty easy stuff especially with the wonderful guide!

Make sure the drivers are installed properly (that the phone shows up in device manager correctly) and that HTC Sync isn't installed.

Also, if it doesn't work on your computer you can always try another.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I rooted for the first time with the "upgrade the USB driver" followed by the "UNREVOKED 3.3" method. and did the recovery backup on my Droid Incredible with 2.2 on it. The "Doug Piston" method as the doc seemed to match what the phone was doing closer than the other method.

The HBOOT says S-ON yet when booted I can do telnet to local host and do "ls" and do "su" and see I am root? So I thought it had to say S-OFF to work?

Also I installed wireless_tether_2_0_7.apk but from the Android Market which said it was that version. and Application info says 2.0.7 This was the reason for rooting as I want to use it to provide WiFi to my XOOM WiFi only tablet.

Wireless_tether installed and I started it and I could see from another device that there was a new Androidwireless available so it seems to be working.

But When I press the screen to stop it stays up and just keeps saying Press to stop or something like that? Menu does not have an exit.

How do you stop it and exit the wireless tether?
I also tried SYSTEM to end the task but it left the Green Wireless symbol on the top task/event bar.

*** Also if I already have my phone setup to use my house's wireless for data access can I also be running wireless tether?
I assume it uses the same device?
So is it one or the other?

When I started wireless tether and then went to stop it I noticed that my access to my home wireless was showing Brown or yellow instead of green in my wireless widget. I was not able to turn it off or on after that untill I rebooted and then access to the home wireless was restored.

***So to run the wireless tether are you suppose to turn off the WiFi in Wireless&networks?

*** And how do you really stop the wireless tether after starting it so that you are not sucking up data running the tether all the time?

*** Also I use this Incredible for access to my Corporate Outlock sothey can wipe my device if security is meesed up. Does this effect it?

What is the S-ON and S-OFF effect?

Sorry I feel like a noobie. Have been working on unix for 25 years and linux a little for 3 or 4 years but I am really new to rooted android phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones