• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cyanogen w/ netarchy toastmod screen glitch

gds191

Lurker
Apr 13, 2011
I have been reading about custom kernels with Cyanogen Mod 7 and many people report that netarchy/toastmod is a viable kernel for being able to underclock my cpu to 128mhz and overclock it to 1190mhz.

However, when flashing this kernel (yes i cleared cache and data 1st), I get this fragmented pixelation thats hard to describe. Basically, the screens pixels glitch in areas of frequent movement. Also, the interface is decidedly not smooth.

All i want is for the cpu to be below the 245mhz that cyanogen allows when the screen is off in order to increase my battery life. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Phone: HTC EVO
ROM: CyanogenMod 7 (Stable Version)
Android Version: 2.3.3
Kernels Tried:
netarchy-toastmod 4.3.1 cfs-havs-nosbc
netarchy-toastmod 4.3.1 cfs-havs-sbc
netarchy-toastmod 4.3.2 cfs-havs-nosbc
netarchy-toastmod 4.3.2 cfs-havs-sbc
netarchy-toastmod 4.3.4 cfs-havs-nosbc
netarchy-toastmod 4.3.4 cfs-havs-sbc

Netarchy will work best on a Sense-based froyo ROM. It should work on AOSP, but you're probably taking your chances with Gingerbread. This is the not the first case I've heard of where netarchy caused screen tearing on AOSP ROMs, HAVS or not. You might try something made for GB AOSP, like savaged-zen. There are quite a few out there, if you need help finding some of them.

Upvote 0
Yeah, and even Savaged-zen only goes to 1190 whereas the netarchy one allows the Evo to hit 1267 which is it's highest sustainable ghz for sure. I'd never leave it there but it's nice to have that as a possibility. I feel like I just downgraded by upgrading to CM7 + SZ but i'm sure I'll get used to it. IF not i'll flash back to the old rom.

Upvote 0
SZ only goes to 1190 because there's hardly a point in going higher. Very few people have been able to go higher than that. Most people end up with an immediate lock up and reboot, whereas those who don't usually have major instability later on. All of that is for a basically unnoticeable improvement in performance. You're better off sticking to 1190 on any kernel even if it goes higher. And even at that 1190 has been known to be a little unstable.

Upvote 0
Right.
I did the same thing. Went from Stock Superuser EVO to CM7, want to go back to Stock Superuser. HTC sense rom located where to get me back? then add the netarchy kernel.
any help on how to do that?
thanks.
evo 4g.

Did you make a nandroid backup of your rooted stock ROM prior to flashing CM7? If so, restore it. If you didn't (moving forward make it a habit to perform a nandroid backup prior to making any changes to your Evo), you can find stock rooted ROM's here; be sure to choose the ROM that matches your build (ie: 3.70xxxx, etc.).

You can find NA kernels here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones