• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Due to a strange glitch, I'm getting a warranty replacement!

ya but if samsung had made any hardware revisions we would all know about it, they put the hardware revision in the phones software, you can use the secret codes thread in tips and tricks section to find it.

Interestingly enough, over the weekend while at the Tmo store to see if they could replace my Vibrant, I noticed they had two of them out on display. One had the USB port with the slider cover, the other had a USB port uncovered and the moulding was different. It was strange. Both were Vibrants...I didn't have time to check the HW/SW versions, but maybe I will go back tomorrow and snap a few pics if I can to show you all.

Upvote 0
Interestingly enough, over the weekend while at the Tmo store to see if they could replace my Vibrant, I noticed they had two of them out on display. One had the USB port with the slider cover, the other had a USB port uncovered and the moulding was different. It was strange. Both were Vibrants...I didn't have time to check the HW/SW versions, but maybe I will go back tomorrow and snap a few pics if I can to show you all.

very strange. this would be fantastic if you do that. interesting to see if they did a hardware revision.

can you do me another favor, visit the secret codes thread in the tips section...there is a code in there for a call date, this date matches the date on the box.

that way we can put a date to the phones

thanks

Upvote 0
very strange. this would be fantastic if you do that. interesting to see if they did a hardware revision.

can you do me another favor, visit the secret codes thread in the tips section...there is a code in there for a call date, this date matches the date on the box.

that way we can put a date to the phones

thanks

Didn't get a chance to get to the Tmo store - super busy with work as I leave Sunday on biz trip. Will try to get there Thurs/Fri though and get the photos and date codes.

I know this much, one like all the other Vibrants is a microUSB and the other a standard miniUSB....why the difference? I have no idea...as I said I will try to get the pics for proof/validation.

Upvote 0
Bumpity bump. I'm getting yet another warranty replacement, due to this one only working on EDGE a fraction of the time. I need EDGE to work because I use it sometimes to conserve battery and when I travel to non-3G areas so it's not wasting energy looking for a better signal. Let's hope this 3rd Vibrant will be a charm!

Good luck! ;) Did Tmo mention anything of a backorder situation? Did they give you an ETA?

Upvote 0
LOL!!!!

OK. After thinking on it for a bit, I've decided to go w/ the MyTouch 4G instead. That phone has more of what I'm looking for, like a flash for the camera, LED notification, & seemingly sturdier build. I think the Vibrant is amazing, but at this point I think it's time to cut my losses.

sure you dont want a g2? its pretty much the same phone minus the keyboard.

as for the ''genius'' button its just a gimmic. hold the serch button on the G2 and it does the same thing.

Upvote 0
sure you dont want a g2? its pretty much the same phone minus the keyboard.

as for the ''genius'' button its just a gimmic. hold the serch button on the G2 and it does the same thing.

Yeah. I had considered the G2, but I really don't like physical keyboards these days. I can't see myself using that genius button much, anyway. I feel kinda silly talking at my phone :). I really like the hardware look of the MT4G, too.

I dunno...I'm a pretty patient person, but I guess my patience has just run out w/ this phone. I think a lot has to do w/ my recent camera woes & how my GPS still isn't fixed even after the OTA.

Upvote 0
LOL!!!!

OK. After thinking on it for a bit, I've decided to go w/ the MyTouch 4G instead. That phone has more of what I'm looking for, like a flash for the camera, LED notification, & seemingly sturdier build. I think the Vibrant is amazing, but at this point I think it's time to cut my losses.

Well, we'll miss you and good luck. I hope this phone better suits your needs. I'm going to hang in with with Vibrant and see what Froyo brings.

I guess I'm stuck on everything the Vibrant does right, especially the display. I'm visually oriented so if I can't see a screen in bright daylight or a screen isn't pleasing to they eye then I'm not a happy camper. I'm with you on the GPS I was using it to navigate yesterday and it dropped signal. Also it is still slow locking occasionally. For me, GPS isn't a deal breaker and it works well enough for the apps requiring GPS.

I never expected much from the camera so I am pleased with its performance. I have an Canon EOS DSLR with multiple "L" lenses and two flash units (macro and standard) along with a Canon knockaround S3 camera so my photo needs are covered. If I had to depend on the Vibrant's camera I'd definitely want a flash also.

Happy 4G'ing. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones