• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Eris All things ROOT THREAD: Apps and ROMS Updated 05/06/2010

Ok cool. How can i tell if my phone is still rooted? I followed all the instructions and am back to 1.5 100% and i had only ever done the first initail root before, none of the updated ones.

go to the \tools\ directory of the Android SDK, and type: "adb shell". If you see a "#" sign you are rooted. If you see a "$" sign type "su" and if no superuser permission app pops up on your phone or if the sign doesnt change from "$" to "#" you are not rooted

Upvote 0
So, I've been lurking for about a few hours now, decided on rooting my Eris b/c I keep having issues w/ the phone portion.

Phone rings, pick up the line, no sound AND the other person cannot hear me either. In order to fix this, I have to power on/off the phone and it works again. I have no idea what causes it. Tried a master reset, and it still happens randomly.

ANYWAY, I started lurking b/c I wanted to try rooting and see if it solves it. 2 questions:

1. I have the official HTC 2.1 firmware version installed. Is that the same as the "unofficial official 2.1"? Not sure which set of instructions I need to follow.

2. Is it possible to go back to the official HTC 2.1 firmware version if I decide to sell the phone and/or move on to the HTC Evo?

Thanks for all your help, and from what I've seen, there's def a lot of solid ppl on these forums!

Upvote 0
I'm done with root, I can't find a 2.1 Rom that doesn't have something wrong with it that is a deal breaker for me, so back to 1.5 I go. I'd like to go back 100% stock, I'm trying to follow the instructions on page 1 on this thread but can't even get step 2 to work.
I reboot holding the red and green buttons down to get to bootloader. It says to use the vol down button then vol up.
I press vol down which takes me to HBoot mode, and then it starts loading images.
When it gets done pressing vol up does nothing and it is asking me, "do you want to start update?" I can't seen to select any other option so I hit yes. It loads more images, looks exactly like the ones it just did.
Then it starts updating:
[1] USERDATA
[2] SYSTEM
[3] RECOVERY
[4] RADIO_V2
[5] BOOT
It does its thing then asks me to reboot. I do and it loads up in 2.1 still.

Please help.

Upvote 0
^^^
So I tried to give 2.1 one last try before going back to 2.1 and decided to see how the new 2.1leak v3 root was, I copied the file to my sdcard, and them when I power up + vol up, I get a picture of and android and an exclamation point sign, I had to pull the battery to restart it. What have I done!?!

power up with volume down to install leak

Upvote 0
^^^
So I tried to give 2.1 one last try before going back to 2.1 and decided to see how the new 2.1leak v3 root was, I copied the file to my sdcard, and them when I power up + vol up, I get a picture of and android and an exclamation point sign, I had to pull the battery to restart it. What have I done!?!

I was getting this error earlier when I tried to reboot in to recovery mode before installing Amon's Recovery Image, after I did that using the automated script I could then power up + vol up in to the screen with options to flash different ROMS.

Upvote 0
I need some help, please!

I had rooted 2.1, dowloaded the unzipme.zip and installed 1.5 again, but I can't get fastboot to accept the recovery image or the hboot image. Whenever I try it, this is what I get:

c:\androidsdk\tools>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (2004 KB)... FAILED (remote: not allow)

Can someone please help me with this issue?

Upvote 0
Alright so I know one of you out there is "tech savy" enough to make this happen......ive put the new custom boot animation by grdlock on my phone and I love it however I did run on the vinilla Rom for a little while and I really liked the bootscreen that that one had just a lil more than The one i currently have....so what my question is is it possible for someone to take the bootscreen off the vinilla Rom and post it on here with directions as to how to put that boot animation on our phones Using the command prompt? Replaceing the custom boot animation by grdlock that I have currently.

Upvote 0
acidbath - you do an amazing job with this thread.

I just wanted to note that the links that are present in my Cricket thread are NOT present in your thread (just the text that is supposed to have the link behind them).

They are in the fifth paragraph (roughly), where I write

On Cricket to start with: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/40266-eris-cricket-wireless.html#post309039
and
MMS: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/51990-eris-cricket-mms-wep.html#post432287

These links are 100% necessary for the phone itself to work on Cricket, and for MMS to work.

Thank you, sir.

Upvote 0
I am trying to go back to 100% stock. My phone is back to 1.5 but I am getting stuck at replacing the recovery image. When I type in the command it says:

unknown partition 'recovery.img'
error: cannot determine image filename for 'recovery.img'

When i do the adb shell test it comes up with a $ and when i type su it says
SU: permission denied

Now my root job was pretty amateur so maybe I never fully installed the recovery image? I really don't know what I'm doing so any help would be appreciated :)

Upvote 0
Could I get a little bit of help I have already downgraded one root 2.1 to stock 1.5 just fine but this damn second one is giving me a fit I get to this step, Once in the boot loader press volume down, then volume up to get to Amon's recovery image. when I press the volume down it loads some files then I do not get the option to press volume up all I get is <action> yes which is only option i can do and when selected it loads the root rom and removes the recovery from my phone..

Nevermind just screwed with it some and got it working thanks

Upvote 0
Do I need to be rooted to use the Gallery.apk? If not, how do I go about using it? I really want the 3d gallery because they didn't include it in the update...so someone please help me out! :) Thanks...

No you dont need root to use it.
Before you download it, go to settings, applications and check the box that says Unknown Sources, allowing u to install unknown apps.
Then download it and use Astro file manager or another one to locate it and then install it......and there ya go.

Cheers

Upvote 0
No you dont need root to use it.
Before you download it, go to settings, applications and check the box that says Unknown Sources, allowing u to install unknown apps.
Then download it and use Astro file manager or another one to locate it and then install it......and there ya go.

Cheers

Ok, I did that and it comes up saying that the file path was not found...do you know where I can find a 3d gallery apk that works?

Upvote 0
I just did it and works perfect for me....not sure what ur doing....

I downloaded the apk file, and its on my sd card...so I went to the file and it brought me to astro file manager. It asked me if I wanted to browse the file or run app manager, so I ran app manager, and then it came up and said that it didnt find the file or whatever...how did you do it?

Upvote 0
I downloaded the apk file, and its on my sd card...so I went to the file and it brought me to astro file manager. It asked me if I wanted to browse the file or run app manager, so I ran app manager, and then it came up and said that it didnt find the file or whatever...how did you do it?

Same exact way....
Try deleting it and downloading it again, perhaps it was bad not full download.
But I just did it twice and worked for me fine on Eris and Incredible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones