• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo 3D 'pro' reviews

Reactions: spurs1022
Upvote 0
nothing speical with 800-000-0000; it is just an invalid phone number so you get the normal "cant' complete call" recording.... any invalid # will do (I think).

thanks, guys. 800-000-0000. interesting. never knew about that.

just called it. message has some background hiss. sounds like it's part of the message. will try with a different phone tonight.

But... when the line was ringing, those tones sounded crisp. I know in areas of low reception, those tones will get distorted.

Upvote 0

"While the Evo 3D has several strong points, working as a phone isn't one of them. Voices on calls made to both land lines and cellphones weren't crystal clear, although they were serviceable. Making a phone call with any outside noise was difficult. Sprint says it hasn't experienced problems with the call quality."

Uh-oh.

Upvote 0
Well they also had problems with the device as a phone:
-
While the Evo 3D has several strong points, working as a phone isn't one of them. Voices on calls made to both land lines and cellphones weren't crystal clear, although they were serviceable. Making a phone call with any outside noise was difficult. Sprint says it hasn't experienced problems with the call quality.
-
Not looking good (as a phone)

Upvote 0
HTC EVO 3D review | This is my next...

No comments on the phone/speaker in this review. 8/10 rating is encouraging.

Looks like Sprint/HTC gave permission to release the reviews with this influx of reviews! :D
He wrote 512mb of eDRAM in the review. It's 1GB LP DDR2 i'm almost 100% sure.

EDIT: Also, MSM8660 has a Adreno 220 GPU, not 200. He incorrectly states in the review it's the QSD8650 running Adreno 200.

Reactions: sergi0wned
Upvote 0
7/10?

Thats really bad. I don't think I will purchase this phone until well after people can give me their outputs, if at all.

Very dissapointed.

Engadget's review conflicts with Phonescoop's on camera quality, and conflict with Thisismynext's on battery life.

Engadget and Thisismynext both don't mention anything about 3G/4G connectivity and voice quality.

WSJ, Phonescoop, BGR and CNET all mention garbled voice quality, but to varying degrees with Phonescoop being the worst.

Reactions: sergi0wned
Upvote 0
What they said on battery life for the evo 3d on engadget makes no sense.. They said it got almost 15 hours out of "barely using it," yet it only slept 6 hours. That sounds like medium-heavy use to me. In addition, if you look at their Galaxy S2 review, they appeared to love it and thought the battery life was fantastic, yet looking at the battery chart that they have pictured it was nearly drained in 12 hours. They sum it up to the screen "being so brilliant" or something.

I sense a lot of inconsistencies.

Upvote 0
I have a lot of questions about these reviewers. If you tested my EVO in my building at work you would mark the EVO down on call quality. Well, a the military building I work in isn't nice for cell phone reception. But once you get next to a window, door, or go outside no more problems. Did they test the phones in buildings? Outside? How many bars did they have?

Reactions: bobby2478
Upvote 0
I really wanted to like the 3D, but after reading all these reviews maybe the Galaxy S2 is the better phone for me. My main concerns are battery life, camera quality, call quality, and screen quality. It seems like there are mixed opinions on the screen and camera, and mostly bad feeling about the battery and call quality. Im still going to check it out at Sprint, but I gotta say Im a little disappointed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones