• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo or Droid X

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually, if I had shitty sprint coverage in my area, I would definitely take a droid x over a IBone, even though I had a horrible experience with 3 Incredibles on Verizon last month

I've always liked Motorola phones, and have owned about 10 of them since 1988..Verizon coverage is great is Chicago too..
Fortunately, Sprint is fantastic in chicagoland, so I am sticking with my EVO for now

Upvote 0
Htc build quality is not the best. Motorola had a hit with the droid and im willing to bet the droid x will be a hit as well. ??

The evo is a great phone by most accounts but the droid x is superior.

I love the ui of the phone and sense is beginning to get old.

No ffc but to be honest fring and qik suck as webcam app and that's all there is now.

I plan to get my x soon
and with verizons network you will be set vs sprint

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Seriously, its Superior? So you have both? Interesting, post some pics because that's an accusation to be made by a person that has handled both, or owns both! Yes, I own an EVO, an Incredible, an iphone, and a ton of Blackberries, and when the Droid X drops I'll grab that also. But I wont go around saying something is better without using it ....That's like saying one Restaurant is better then another, and only trying the food at one place.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I live in NYC, and Sprint and VZW are about a toss up as far as calls, reception, etc. If anything Data is faster on Sprint IMO. And I have not had one dropped call on my EVO yet. Listen I'm all for evolution, but your Superior statement is BS. Especially based on something that isn't even released yet. The EVO is the best Android phone on the market right now, Deal with it!

Upvote 0
There is none, if you look around, it's the same people over and over who don't have said phone, have never seen or touched (in real life) said phone and for whatever reason don't like the EVO/HTC/Sprint.

The old attempt to diminish the ability of the program that makes their idol phone outdated upon release trick always works too. The motorola doesn't have voice chat so let's bash those who do have it to make it irrelevant.

Notice no answers when it comes to providing any specific information other than inaccurate benchmark tests and video recording. Yet definitive claims if superiority. These people should be laughed out of here.

Clowns at best! Eventually they'll go away...

Upvote 0
Here she goes again. Go play in the sandbox. I can still smell the similac on your breath.

Yes here i go again. This is amusing, the childish responses i get from "Adults" in the forums.

You would've thought that I personally attacked or insulted someone in the forum.

The reason i didn't reply instantly was because I do have a life then arguring with grown men(or women) on a forum over a phone and why i think it sucks or is better.

The Funny thing is when I expressed my opinion and experiences with Sprint somehow I was wrong when I spoke ill or negatively about Sprint. "Oh, I never had problems with sprint...", "Sprint has been nothing but good to me...", "Well, I believe you're exaggerating..."

Yet those are my opinions

Do i know for sure the X is better than the Evo? I sure don't. But I do believe based on the fact

1)It is a motorola device and the motorola devices i had, never had any issues with motorola but have had 3 HTC devices and had an awful experience with hardware. Say what you want about looks but most people will say they make sturdy devices.

2)It's backed by Verizon. Sprint is awful, needs to roam off Verizon to supply customers with somewhat decent coverage and guess what? You can't roam all the time either so when you can't, your stuck with spotty coverage.

3)Specs wise it is equivalent to the EVO sans FFC and 4g and on some counts, the spects "I have" read appear to make it even better than the EVO.

The funny thing is the amount of hypocrisy in this forum.
When the Iphone 4 was announced, you(not anyone directly) were quick to bash it and knock it down and speak ill of the Iphone because it may have done something better than the evo.

People wake up and get a life. It's a cellphone, not your child i insulted. Not your career. Not your wife. Not you.
It is a cellphone and if you are really in a competition over who has the best cellphone or feel the need to attack me or anyone else over why they believe another cellphone is better than yours then I definitely will go and "Play in the sandbox". Because the immaturity and blatant disrespect of adults is baffling and amusing.
But that's what happens when you have small people feel big behind a computer.

You guys are no better than the "Apple fanboys" who belittle people for having an android phone.

Upvote 0
NO, it doesn't. There is FAR FAR more to a phone than most of that which is irrelevant for 99% of the population. The only thing on that list that isn't an update away is possibly the H.264 (and that's a maybe). I'll take 4g and Video calls WAY above that as will most of the population.

I'd even go further and guess the Droid will likely have better battery life, and will play games better.

However until the phone has been in the real world there is NO WAY to declare it superior unless you are just hoping and wishing. You can't even compare browsing speeds when the EVO is in 4g territory, you can video conference which is becoming very big (and you never will with the Droid).

Oh and let's talk about costs as well. The Droid will cost you at least $10 more a month to run than the Evo with similar plans.

I have to admit, I like the re-sizeable widgets, but I also like the many scenes you can create on Sense. I'll take the scenes (I have 3 now). I also like that neat browser tool the Droid has, but I'd also take the resizing the text as mobile browsing has been a pain trying to scroll back and forth all day and that is a huge benefit.

In the end we are still talking about two great phones, but this nonsense about superiority is pretty funny. Sounds like the Apple fanboys have been shutup and now the Samsung and Motorola fanboys are taking over (not directed at you, I think you are fairly decent in your comments).

I do agree with you about real world experience. Perhaps I spoke incorrectly but coming from me and my marriage with HTC ending (I always said i would stick with HTC as far as android because I believed the droid was an ugly oversize phone...I said it about the Eris because it is a beautiful device, which led me to get the Sprint Hero when i went to them instead of a samsung(Well that and samsung had a bad reputation) and then the EVO. I had a lot of issues but on all accounts I really believe HTC throws out way too many phones at a rate that they don't spend enough time testing out their devices. I am sorry but the amount of complaints i've seen in this forum, my own experiences, friends and family experiences and other forums about the hardware of the Evo proves this.

HTC literally releases a phone every month(sometimes 2 or more). It's great but take some time and test these products out.

Lol i don't consider myself a fan boy/girl because that is a title for irrelevant people with no lives but I do consider myself an opinionated young woman who has the right to express my thoughts about a question on why I would choose EVO or Droid X.

Upvote 0
@ carmendiva,
First off your a lady, so I'm not going to bash or Flame you to no end, its not gentleman like.
I'll put it like this, your in a public forum, inside the EVO forum, so naturally talking down about the EVO will get you no where. It's like walking into Mercedes and telling the sales person BMW is better. He'll say ok, Great, then why are you Here? You are 100% entitled to your opinion, however I would make it after you use and handle the phone after the 15th. I don't know if you have handled the EVO yet? But using both would bring you to the conclusion of which one is better in your opinion. I'm just going off your statement of the Droid being Superior to the EVO. Who knows, maybe it does best the EVO in real world, personal use? I'll come to that conclusion after the 15th of July. As for now, I'm really enjoying my EVO! At the end of the day its all about Android, and after all, were all supposed to be on the same Team anyway!

Upvote 0
@ carmendiva,
First off your a lady, so I'm not going to bash or Flame you to no end, its not gentleman like.
I'll put it like this, your in a public forum, inside the EVO forum, so naturally talking down about the EVO will get you no where. It's like walking into Mercedes and telling the sales person BMW is better. He'll say ok, Great, then why are you Here? You are 100% entitled to your opinion, however I would make it after you use and handle the phone after the 15th. I don't know if you have handled the EVO yet? But using both would bring you to the conclusion of which one is better in your opinion. I'm just going off your statement of the Droid being Superior to the EVO. Who knows, maybe it does best the EVO in real world, personal use? I'll come to that conclusion after the 15th of July. As for now, I'm really enjoying my EVO! At the end of the day its all about Android, and after all, were all supposed to be on the same Team anyway!

lol thanks Sean. Yes, I was one of the many launch day Evo owners and I spoke very highly of the device. I had a lot off issues that many users complained about and some others that nobody else had(like my webcam would not work at all...except twice and the picture fritz out on me during a call). I was willing to live with those issues except Sprint became unbearable so I switched back to verizon with my friend who wanted an EVO but was stuck with Verizon. So now i am own her contract and she is on mine(my father's)

I probably did speak before having first hand knowledge of the X which is why i angered the legion of EVO owners but at the same time it was asked Droid X or Evo so i said my part about it.

But as you said, we are all on the same team and if anything i am an android "fangirl". Lol i've been talking my friend out of getting an iphone. I tried to get her to get an Evo since her school in North carolina has great sprint coverage but she wants an Aria so yeah lol

Upvote 0
Yes here i go again. This is amusing, the childish responses i get from "Adults" in the forums.

You would've thought that I personally attacked or insulted someone in the forum.

The reason i didn't reply instantly was because I do have a life then arguring with grown men(or women) on a forum over a phone and why i think it sucks or is better.

The Funny thing is when I expressed my opinion and experiences with Sprint somehow I was wrong when I spoke ill or negatively about Sprint. "Oh, I never had problems with sprint...", "Sprint has been nothing but good to me...", "Well, I believe you're exaggerating..."

Yet those are my opinions

Do i know for sure the X is better than the Evo? I sure don't. But I do believe based on the fact

1)It is a motorola device and the motorola devices i had, never had any issues with motorola but have had 3 HTC devices and had an awful experience with hardware. Say what you want about looks but most people will say they make sturdy devices.

2)It's backed by Verizon. Sprint is awful, needs to roam off Verizon to supply customers with somewhat decent coverage and guess what? You can't roam all the time either so when you can't, your stuck with spotty coverage.

3)Specs wise it is equivalent to the EVO sans FFC and 4g and on some counts, the spects "I have" read appear to make it even better than the EVO.

The funny thing is the amount of hypocrisy in this forum.
When the Iphone 4 was announced, you(not anyone directly) were quick to bash it and knock it down and speak ill of the Iphone because it may have done something better than the evo.

People wake up and get a life. It's a cellphone, not your child i insulted. Not your career. Not your wife. Not you.
It is a cellphone and if you are really in a competition over who has the best cellphone or feel the need to attack me or anyone else over why they believe another cellphone is better than yours then I definitely will go and "Play in the sandbox". Because the immaturity and blatant disrespect of adults is baffling and amusing.
But that's what happens when you have small people feel big behind a computer.

You guys are no better than the "Apple fanboys" who belittle people for having an android phone.

Who asked you why you didn't reply instantly?

Why would I exaggerate?

Why would I spend 10 years with a company that wasn't good to me?

It's not like they had the iphone like At&t customers are staying for.

The point is you gave your crappy evo to your cousin to go along with sprint's crappy service. So now you can move along to the best phone on the planet forum "x".

That is all!

Upvote 0
lol thanks Sean. Yes, I was one of the many launch day Evo owners and I spoke very highly of the device. I had a lot off issues that many users complained about and some others that nobody else had(like my webcam would not work at all...except twice and the picture fritz out on me during a call). I was willing to live with those issues except Sprint became unbearable so I switched back to verizon with my friend who wanted an EVO but was stuck with Verizon. So now i am own her contract and she is on mine(my father's)

I probably did speak before having first hand knowledge of the X which is why i angered the legion of EVO owners but at the same time it was asked Droid X or Evo so i said my part about it.

But as you said, we are all on the same team and if anything i am an android "fangirl". Lol i've been talking my friend out of getting an iphone. I tried to get her to get an Evo since her school in North carolina has great sprint coverage but she wants an Aria so yeah lol

Yup, some of the first day people got lemons. Thankfully mine is working up to the task of my heavy use. But like any phone out there, there are some that ship with issues, most likely the case with yours. In any event, I will be keeping my EVO, as well as grabbing a Droid X on launch day, probably the 2 best android devices to hit the market this Summer. And yes, were all on the same team 100% when it comes to our beloved Android platform.

If your girl is on at&t, let her grab the Aria. To us its a tiny phone that is not feature packed. However it is the best Android phone at&t offers at this point. So either way, its still Android, and not the reception losing iPhone 4...lol

Upvote 0
Yup, some of the first day people got lemons. Thankfully mine is working up to the task of my heavy use. But like any phone out there, there are some that ship with issues, most likely the case with yours. In any event, I will be keeping my EVO, as well as grabbing a Droid X on launch day, probably the 2 best android devices to hit the market this Summer. And yes, were all on the same team 100% when it comes to our beloved Android platform.

If your girl is on at&t, let her grab the Aria. To us its a tiny phone that is not feature packed. However it is the best Android phone at&t offers at this point. So either way, its still Android, and not the reception losing iPhone 4...lol

lol

Upvote 0
We got the win! Wooo....hoooo..... I think the Droid X is great, but its no EVO.

Ummm, seriously, are ya bragging because we had more votes that a phone that only a handfull of people have? Maybe run this like 3 weeks after launch and see what the numbers look like. I love my Evo, love my bill more, but the Droid X is a BEAST on the best performing network in the country. It just costs a small fortune to run compared to ours.

Upvote 0
We got the win! Wooo....hoooo..... I think the Droid X is great, but its no EVO.

Ummm, seriously, are ya bragging because we had more votes that a phone that only a handfull of people have? Maybe run this like 3 weeks after launch and see what the numbers look like. I love my Evo, love my bill more, but the Droid X is a BEAST on the best performing network in the country. It just costs a small fortune to run compared to ours.
+1

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

The coming months will no doubt feature the continuation of many wonderful debates and hand-wringing over performance and which apps are better and how we should all leave Motoblur and Sense behind. :)

Notwithstanding, ZDNet has a large following and this statement FTFA is one I'd expect to influence a lot of new-to-Android shoppers:

Motorola includes support for Exchange email, contacts, and calendar, but it is not as good of an experience as what you get with HTC Sense. I love the way I can view my email in multiple ways (by favorites, conversations, attachments, etc.) on the HTC EVO 4G and on the Droid X you just get standard folder views.

That is the exactly the sort of statement that has a tendency to really influence that sort of buyer, in my opinion.

Add in this comment the ZDNet reviewer made:

The HTC phone utility is better than the Motorola one since it supports smart dialing of your contacts where you just start spelling a name and have the dialer autofilter your contact list. The Droid X does have quicker access to your favorites/speed dial with a tab dedicated to that on the dialer while the HTC phone utility requires you to press the menu button to select your speed dial

Saying that HTC has a better phone utility, Exchange email, contacts and calendar - and that's nailed a LOT of what a LOT of people look for in a smartphone, imo.

I also liked the title - World Heavyweight Title Fight - that's sure to draw readers and influence mindshare as well.

In the coming weeks, you're right, we'll see reviews going both ways - the reviewers do NOT sell phones - they sell advertising and they get that by creating controversy.

But the title is the thing: this reviewer has put it in terms of size and called this class of phone the heavyweights. There was no drooling or slurping or dissection - I found it a step up in these sort of reviews, and not because the Evo won.

First - bigger phones are classed apart from others - win.
Second - Android on both - win.
Third - choice within Android - win.
Fourth - Evo - win, for this reviewer's idea of how a phone is used.

That's some pretty good advertising. It's going to help drive people to both stores in the coming days.

Aside from Sprint's low stock (last I heard), I can't see a downside in this for anyone.

And I even liked the comedy: the Evo spotted for the X.

Upvote 0

Better performing network? Maybe coverage wise, but 3G? Verizon has the slowest 3G of the big 4. Verizon's 3G underperforms if anything. Not to mention that these phones primarily are data first calls second.

Plus the poll specifies which android phone do you prefer, not which one is superior.

Upvote 0
one BIG difference is what you will pay for hotspot useage; Sprint is 30 bucks UNLIMITED data..Verizon is 20 bucks for 5 gigs, and 50 cents PER MEG after that!!

Do the math, and figure out the small fortune you will pay for the droid x if you use more than 5 gigs of data a month...

take a peek at this comparison...droid x not so hot....

World heavyweight title fight; Motorola Droid X vs HTC EVO 4G | ZDNet

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones