• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Factory Reset Question

kbp08tls

Jun 11, 2012
DC
What does it do, exactly?
Does it:
1.) Simply erase all user data, apps and setup, and keep the current OS?
2.) Erase everything, and return the OS to what the phone was shipped with? (i.e. if you bought your phone with 1.13, took the OTA to 1.22, will a factory reset revert you to 1.13 or keep 1.22?)

Just wondering for my own edification. Knowledge is power ;)

It restores your phone to Factory Settings, any apps downloaded are still going to be there.

Does it:
2.) Erase everything, and return the OS to what the phone was shipped with? (i.e. if you bought your phone with 1.13, took the OTA to 1.22, will a factory reset revert you to 1.13 or keep 1.22?)

Reactions: kbp08tls
Upvote 0
He is correct, what I meant is that the apps will still be on the Google server and be back on your phone. Not to confuse you, i meant you will not loose the apps, they will re download again

I knew what you meant ;)

The whole question was prompted by seeing all those that didn't listen to advice scrambling for an "easy" way to restore root to their after taking the OTA. I'll leave my "one-click" method soapbox rant for another time/another thread...

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
Does it:

A factory reset in the most basic terms as I can hopefully explain.

A factory reset deletes USER DATA ( /data /cache /dalvic) This will eradicate emails, text, call logs, contact list, custom settings, your accounts, apps and anything that is tied to the USER. A factory reset does not wipe the system partition. Thus making it an Oxy Moron. A "Factory" reset suggest that it takes everthing back to factory state however the factory does not account for custom roms / kernels. It also does not affect your root status.

So in conclusion factory reset is only a fancy way of saying a USER Deletion. Hope this clears things up for you.

Upvote 0
A factory reset does not wipe the system partition. Thus making it an Oxy Moron. A "Factory" reset suggest that it takes everthing back to factory state however the factory does not account for custom roms / kernels. It also does not affect your root status.

Now THAT little tidbit is something I did not know and would never have guessed. I always assumed if you did a factory reset that it would wipe whatever ROM you're running and unroot you.

Upvote 0
Now THAT little tidbit is something I did not know and would never have guessed. I always assumed if you did a factory reset that it would wipe whatever ROM you're running and unroot you.

The process you're thinking of is an RUU ( Rom Update Utility ).
If you unlocked with the HTCdev method an RUU would "relock" your bootloader, if you're S-off, it'll just put you back to Stock settings, it won't remove the unlocked security status. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones