• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

I'm here too. Relaxing for a little while with my honey. We have done a tour of places that either have a personal history for DSB or places I've asked about. He even took me to the nearest scrapbook store as a preliminary 'is this satisfactory if things progress to where you'd need one here'. We talked about going to the zoo the other day but it's been so damn hot the animals are most likely hiding too. All in all I love it here. And the flights here didn't make me all wonky like they have in the past. I attribute that to my new friend Bonine.
Dawnierae - of course you can still hang around here! I'd be upset if you left us. And that goes for anyone we've made friends with here. I don't think any of us care what phone you're using - we are a friendly crew. People would just need to know that on occasion we go nuts talking about new roms.

Upvote 0
Atrain, if I absolutely HAD to take a SWAG at it, I would guess January 2013.

They're going to want to sell you the new Jelly Bean phones that are coming out this fall/winter. Maybe - just MAYBE - after that, they'll finally push out a JB OTA.

Rooting was/is a scary thing for me too. Even rooting veterans will tell you that if your pulse isn't racing a little bit in the process, then you probably have no clue what you're really doing.

But Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit was amazing for me: You tell it what to do, and it pushes the ADB and fastboot commands to the phone for you. Such a time saver! Tell it to unlock, it does (wiping the whole phone in the process, so back up!). Tell it to root, it does. Tell it to flash recovery, it does.

Then you're free to flash away! :D

But I would say that my #1 reason for rooting isn't even ROMming... it's the ability to make nandroid backups. A nandroid backup takes a snapshot image of the phone's entire current state at that moment... system, data, boot, everything but the internal user storage. And if a malicious app takes over and screws things up, or a mistake is made flashing a ROM (it happens to the best of us), you can wipe the phone and restore the nandroid. It'll take the phone back to the exact state it was in at that moment, and it will be like nothing ever happened.

I had a lot of questions as a newbie. I read. A lot. And then I took the plunge. Having experienced what Android Open Source is, and the power that you can have over every aspect of your phone (not what Verizon says you can do), I would never go back to stock and stay there.

When you're ready to root, let us know. We'll guide you through the process and advise you. In the end, though, it's YOUR phone. We're not there. You are. And YOU get to do the leg work and the home work.

My 0.02 and aren't you glad you asked! :p

I know at some point I'll get brave enough to do it, but I waffle because there are things you mentioned in your post to me which are such common knowledge for you and foreign for me. So, I fear that I will find the same is true when I actually get down to rooting. Sadly, I'm a visual learner and have benefited greatly from the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" maybe it's the first grade teacher in me, but as soon as these instructions get too wordy or over my head, I'm concerned I'll want to bail and it might be too late. Thank you tremendously for your response, I'll continue to try to get the nerve up as I want JB badly.

Upvote 0
I know at some point I'll get brave enough to do it, but I waffle because there are things you mentioned in your post to me which are such common knowledge for you and foreign for me. So, I fear that I will find the same is true when I actually get down to rooting. Sadly, I'm a visual learner and have benefited greatly from the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" maybe it's the first grade teacher in me, but as soon as these instructions get too wordy or over my head, I'm concerned I'll want to bail and it might be too late. Thank you tremendously for your response, I'll continue to try to get the nerve up as I want JB badly.

Check youtube for videos. They will walk you through everything.

Reactions: atrain311
Upvote 0
Well, atrain, I was just as nervous and worried as you are now. NOBODY comes into this as an expert. I can imagine your JB experience is a lot closer than you think... and pretty soon you'll be helping others.

Your journey starts here:

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/469167-vzw-lte-samsung-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root-guide-updated-7-11-2012-a.html

And here's the tool to do it:

Nexus Root Toolkit v1.5.2 | WugFresh

Read, read, and ASK questions! You can feel free to PM me questions if you like... but I prefer them to be out in the open for one single reason:

You would be surprised at how many lurkers are reading this stuff without ever joining or saying a word. Your questions (and our answers) will help them learn, too. That's what we're here for. And the only kind of stupid question is the one not asked :)

Reactions: jmar and atrain311
Upvote 0
Check youtube for videos. They will walk you through everything.

I'm like you atrain and like visual learning. I need small words and big pictures.

Halon its right on with the youtube suggestion. Watching someone go through the procedure plus having the written instructions makes it pretty easy.

Upvote 0
Apparently someone has received an email from Verizon customer support stating the boot loader will freed up via an update. No date on update.

Yeah this has been debunked. The CSRs were confusing the unlocking of global capabilities with the unlocking of the bootloader. :rolleyes:

Good Morning all! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Reactions: halon
Upvote 0
Morning everyone!
Well our last night and we finally had a terrific thunder storm. Huge downpours and lots of close lightening. Satellite cable basically went out so were done for movie watching time. Just stood on the patio and watched the action. Guess that's why they call it the "rainy season" here.
Will be on planes much of the day today so trying to load up on some books to read on my Prime.

Upvote 0
Good morning all! Yes, we are quite the accepting bunch. If not, I would have been drummed out of here weeks ago because I had to get rid of my Nexus in favor of a Razr Maxx due to phone call (gasp!) issues.

On that note, guess who's sportin' 4G?!?! :D:D:congrats::rock::beer: I was helping a flying buddy with a new airplane this past Friday. He brought a friend with him, and they both work for a local cable splicing company. He asked me, You're with Verizon right? I said yeah, I am. He said, you have a 4G phone right? I started to get excited and said yeah, I do. They both told me that 4G for Rocky Mount/Wilson was going to be turned on this week! Verizon is their biggest customer by far, and they said the Verizon guys they spoke with said to look out for 4G in our area this week.

On my way back from the flying field yesterday, I just happened to notice that my 3G said the magic words.... 4G LTE!! Maybe they turn it on one tower at a time, and then officially announce it? All I know is that I've got me some 4G and I couldn't be happier. I haven't done any speed tests yet, but you best believe that I'm gonna download the planet before I give up this unlimited data. :evil:

Speaking of flying, I put the maiden flight on my FPV heli. I didn't wear the goggles but had a friend wear them while I flew the heli. He said that aside from some very minor dropouts, the video signal was great. I complain to myself a lot on how long it takes me to put something like this together, because I obsess over the little details. I was reminded yesterday that my attention to detail rewarded me with an uneventful maiden flight.

Did anyone catch Breaking Bad last night? We didn't get a chance to watch it and will do so tonight. Was it as good as the hype?

Upvote 0
Good morning everyone and Happy Monday!

Took the day off from work Friday to head to Warped Tour at PNC. Haven't been in a while, but the g/f surprised me with tickets because Yellowcard was playing and they happen to be one of (if not my #1) favorite band ever. The show was amazing as usual, but super hot. I got pretty burnt, but hopefully it turns into a nice tan.

Weekend was nice and relaxing - did some more unpacking of the apartment, did some rewiring of my radio in my car, cooked some delicious dinner last night but nothing terribly exciting. EXCEPT we found Fruit Loop vodka from Three Olives. Mixed with Sprite and it is one of the most delicious (albeit a bit girly) drinks you'll ever have.

Made this picture this morning because its the worst thing that can happen on a Monday morning commute so enjoy.

abcd1208cf3c11e1986b123138141b3c_7.jpg

Upvote 0
Well, looks like for the next week my commute will include navigating a movie set.

Each day I drive by a family farm called Whittier's Farm, where they have a country store.
Here is a photo from this past winter.
IMG_20120229_165408.jpg
Well, on my way home on Friday they were setting up an old fashioned bus stop. When I drove to work this morning the place was crawling with booms, truck, buses, etc. The store was closed and there was an old motor coach as well as two old pickup trucks parked in the lot. The made several "improvements" to make it appear like the late 60s early 70s my guess (even though the farm is already pretty rustic).

I didn't have time to take any photos as the road is narrow and all the stuff was right up against it and the cops were directing traffic (yeah, at an intersection where the worst you normally run into is a farm tractor hauling corn or a wayward milk cow). I'll try to get some on my way home.

Pam did a little detective work on Saturday (OK, she stopped in for milk and asked the owner about the changes) and it turns out it is the movie "Labor Day" starring Kate Winslet and Toby Maguire.

Here is the imdb link:
Labor Day (2013) - IMDb

Upvote 0
Well, looks like for the next week my commute will include navigating a movie set.

Each day I drive by a family farm called Whittier's Farm, where they have a country store.
IMG_20120229_165408.jpg
Well, on my way home on Friday they were setting up an old fashioned bus stop. When I drove to work this morning the place was crawling with booms, truck, buses, etc. The store was closed and there was an old motor coach as well as two old pickup trucks parked in the lot. The made several "improvements" to make it appear like the late 60s early 70s my guess (even though the farm is already pretty rustic).

I didn't have time to take any photos as the road is narrow and all the stuff was right up against it and the cops were directing traffic (yeah, at an intersection where the worst you normally run into is a farm tractor hauling corn or a wayward milk cow). I'll try to get some on my way home.

Pam did a little detective work on Saturday (OK, she stopped in for milk and asked the owner about the changes) and it turns out it is the movie "Labor Day" starring Kate Winslet and Toby Maguire.

Here is the imdb link:
Labor Day (2013) - IMDb

Tobby Maguire, ugh. When I hear that name all I think of is Spiderman 3 :mad:

Upvote 0

IMG_20120229_165408.jpg

Here is the imdb link:
Labor Day (2013) - IMDb

See if you get a high quality screen grab from Titanic, you know which scene I'm talking about, and get Kate to sign it, lol.

Upvote 0
See if you get a high quality screen grab from Titanic, you know which scene I'm talking about, and get Kate to sign it, lol.

All the cops out there I doubt I will get close. I guess they spent the entire weekend planting weeds (the farm keeps the place well maintained) along a newly installed "old" fence and had some schlep rolling like a child up and down a grass hill to make it appear heavily traveled.:rolleyes:

I'm glad its a mom and pop place and we "know" them like you do a mom and pop place. Its interesting to get little details like that.

Upvote 0
So I went to my high school reunion this weekend. There was only about 20 people there and even at that few of a number, it quickly split into groups and nobody left their group the entire night.

One group, I really wondered why they came to begin with. It was on girl that graduated with us, her husband, her friend that only went to school with us 1 year of high school and didn't graduate with us, and her boyfriend. They sat together and sulked because nobody else talked to them (I overheard because I sat next to them and actually did try to converse with them) and they left as soon as they got done eating.

Other than that, I'm really glad I went. Got to spend time with a couple of my friends that I've kept in touch with fairly regularly but rarely get much time to just sit and chat with. Re-connected with another friend and his wife who I was also good friends with in high school and figured out we lived pretty close to each other, so we're going to try to make more of an effort to hang out with them. Sad, but making new friends as a married couple is pretty exciting, lol.

He also let me know about a job opportunity that I am pretty interested in. I'm going to at least check into it and see what they offer in terms of job description and benefits.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones