• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S Duos 2 - E:Failed to mount /data

A

Android Question

I have a Galaxy S duos 2(GT-S7582L) which isn't booting, and, when it rarely does boot, it shows "Device memory damaged", in recovery mode it displays "E:Failed to mount /data"; Factory reset did nothing, neither did flashing it, I tried installing CWM and TWRP, however, I failed at both of them, it keeps coming back to stock recovery. It isn't rooted or unlocked in any way, I also tried a full flash and, well, also nothing, and I am a little stuck now.

A few more things I tried: — Re-partitioning; — Removing battery after flashing — Using another Odin version — Using other ROMs — Changing the recovery.img in the ROM for the TWRP's recovery.img

After a few tries I can't get it to completely boot, and it freezes anywhere except for the download and recovery mode, even the "charging" animation freezes. It also sometimes shows "No command" in recovery mode, or "Error", and it requires me to remove the battery and restart. I truly don't know what else to do.

Obs: My phone model is GT-S7582L, I don't know if it actually changes something.
Obs²: I don't really care about the data, it isn't my main concern, if it works, it's already great!
Obs³:Some people said this device have unlocked boot loader for default, however, I don't know how true this is,

It kind of sounds like you've got a hardware (internal memory) error: "Device memory damaged" that would likely explain the issues that you're having...not sure there's a work-around for you...
I found some people claiming just re-mounting the partition with a custom recovery should fix, what makes me think it may not be just hardware, however, as I said, I can't really test this hypothesis, as I can't seem to be able to make any custom recovery work for some reason, probably lack of skill, as I this isn't my usual field of work. Whatever the case might be, thank you for your answer.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I am the OP, just registered.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I have a Galaxy S duos 2(GT-S7582L) which isn't booting, and, when it rarely does boot, it shows "Device memory damaged", in recovery mode it displays "E:Failed to mount /data"; Factory reset did nothing, neither did flashing it, I tried installing CWM and TWRP, however, I failed at both of them, it keeps coming back to stock recovery. It isn't rooted or unlocked in any way, I also tried a full flash and, well, also nothing, and I am a little stuck now.

A few more things I tried: — Re-partitioning; — Removing battery after flashing — Using another Odin version — Using other ROMs — Changing the recovery.img in the ROM for the TWRP's recovery.img

After a few tries I can't get it to completely boot, and it freezes anywhere except for the download and recovery mode, even the "charging" animation freezes. It also sometimes shows "No command" in recovery mode, or "Error", and it requires me to remove the battery and restart. I truly don't know what else to do.

Obs: My phone model is GT-S7582L, I don't know if it actually changes something.
Obs²: I don't really care about the data, it isn't my main concern, if it works, it's already great!
Obs³:Some people said this device have unlocked boot loader for default, however, I don't know how true this is,

Hey there ,

Welcome to android forums!

what do you really mean by "rarely boot"? you able to boot in any custom or stock roms?

Your bootloader was'nt unlocked? Device not rooted?

You Know about Fastboot and Adb thing it can be a help in checking if internal memory is damaged or its just a soft brick?

Last edited:
Reactions: Iorpim
Upvote 0
Hey there ,

Welcome to android forums!

what do you really mean by "rarely boot"? you able to boot in any custom or stock roms?

Your bootloader was'nt unlocked? Device not rooted?

You Know about Fastboot and Adb thing it can be a help in checking if internal memory is damaged or its just a soft brick?

First of all, thank you!
Before full flashing it, it would sometimes boot, however, most of the time, it would just freeze at one of the two Samsung logos, but, now it doesn't boot at all.
It is a friend's phone, so, it isn't rooted or unlocked, however, searching how to unlock it's bootloader, I found some claims that this phone is by default unlocked.
I tried using Adb, but, with no success, as USB debugging isn't enabled, however, this isn't really my area, would there be any diagnose operation which could be done even without it?
And for the Fastboot, this device doesn't have any button combination for it, so, it would only be possible through Adb, what would, therefore, require USB debugging, is that correct?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First of all, thank you!
Before full flashing it, it would sometimes boot, however, most of the time, it would just freeze at one of the two Samsung logos, but, now it doesn't boot at all.
It is a friend's phone, so, it isn't rooted or unlocked, however, searching how to unlock it's bootloader, I found some claims that this phone is by default unlocked.
I tried using Adb, but, with no success, as USB debugging isn't enabled, however, this is really my area, would there be any diagnose operation which could be done even without it?
And for the Fastboot, this device doesn't have any button combination for it, so, it would only be possible through Adb, what would, therefore, require USB debugging, is that correct?

Thanks for replying.

let me know how all this problem began? It just ended up one day restarting on its own and saying "memory Damaged "?

If this type of thing happened on its own then you Can conclude that its internal memory is Damaged :/.

Reactions: Iorpim and Miuguel
Upvote 0
Thanks for replying.

let me know how all this problem began? It just ended up one day restarting on its own and saying "memory Damaged "?

If this type of thing happened on its own then you Can conclude that its internal memory is Damaged :/.

Yes, it just happened out of the blue, no attempt on any complicated process or anything of sort, just good old luck, I guess…
So, I think this means it is hard bricked, very frustrating ; Well, thank you very much for your replies, and for your attention, I've been trying to get an answer for days now, and this is my first success at it, so, thank you all!

Upvote 0
Yes, it just happened out of the blue, no attempt on any complicated process or anything of sort, just good old luck, I guess…
So, I think this means it is hard bricked, very frustrating ; Well, thank you very much for your replies, and for your attention, I've been trying to get an answer for days now, and this is my first success at it, so, thank you all!

Anytime , You can mark the answers as the best answer with which you were most satisfied with so that thread is marked as answered .

Good luck !

Reactions: Miuguel
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones