• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Galaxy/Stock android on behold 2 - It flies!

Works great! I used odin first to start from a fresh state. Then followed it step by step. The first time it gave me messaging and media force closes that would not stop. I did the mms fix but it didn't help. I didn't wait for the phone to go to sleep the first time before starting to enter the code. I think I may have been copying and pasting a little too fast in a few spots.

I used odin and then tried again and it worked like a charm. For some reason I didn't even have to use the mms fix. I got the FC of course but after the factory reset all was good.

I did notice that the native file manager is absent. I just grabbed Astro from the market and all is good.

You guys are da bomb!

Upvote 0
I used odin and then tried again and it worked like a charm. For some reason I didn't even have to use the mms fix. I got the FC of course but after the factory reset all was good.

You need the MMS fix to send MMS messages. Normal SMS's will work without it.

I'm curious about the camera issue because I was uninstalling an app and I see there listed a Camera Firmware. What if we copy that(and anything else related) first before flashing and put it back(isnt that how mms is fixed?).

If you try to update the firmware it will brick the camera. There is a thread in the galaxy i7500 section about it. Anyway the behold firmware is newer, and works fine for the old android camera app - just displays a firmware mismatch error first. The hurdle about getting thebh2 camera app working is about libraries.

Any luck yet on remapping the cube button?

You should be able to edit the keymap files in /usr. I think the kernal is mapping this to cube.apk. If you renamed you're target app to cube.apk it might launch with it. We had a quick look at this and someone said the event wasnt triggered. We should look again at some point.

I am trying to get adb working with new roms and having no luck. I had it working to get the rom installed but now adb devices gives me nothing. I have no way to enable pc studio mode anymore with the new roms. Any ideas?

You need to toggle usb debugging. Even if its on, turn it off, exit to the home screen, and turn it on again. For some reason the debug setting isnt being saved after reboot, but the checkmark is.

Upvote 0
I have to hand it to all of you. I am brand new to this and managed to install the Galaxy ROM with nothing more than this forum in under an hour. And yes, my phone is now amazingly fast.

Are there solutions yet to these:

1) Bluetooth will not switch on through 'Switchers' or Menu> Settings> Wireless Controls> Bluetooth.

2) Speakerphone

3) Vibrate

4) Camera Firmware (error)

I'd like to offer a reward of $300 paid by paypal to the first person who posts everything needed to load 2.1 with multi-touch before Feb 13th.

Thanks Again. Rick Culleton Discount Electronics

Upvote 0
I have to hand it to all of you. I am brand new to this and managed to install the Galaxy ROM with nothing more than this forum in under an hour. And yes, my phone is now amazingly fast.

1) Bluetooth will not switch on through 'Switchers' or Menu> Settings> Wireless Controls> Bluetooth.

2) Speakerphone

3) Vibrate

I'd like to offer a reward of $300 paid by paypal to the first person who posts everything needed to load 2.1 with multi-touch before Feb 13th.

I'll be willing to kick in 50 also with Rick - bringing the total up to 350. There is some GREAT talent here that work many hours to develop for those of us who know nothing about how this is accomplished. To all developers who make the process simple I wuld like to say "Thank You!!".

Upvote 0

2) Speakerphone

3) Vibrate

There is a solution with speakerphone but the rest I don't know.

Upvote 0
You need the MMS fix to send MMS messages. Normal SMS's will work without it.

Thank you. I had thought it was just to fix the fc problem.

I went back to do the Mms fix. I got a permission denied error. Just for giggles I tried sending an mms an it worked. I had been tired when I did the second attempt maybe I did the mms fix on auto pilot. I willP give credit to all here who put together a great set of instructions.

By the way I would be willing to test any fixes/mods. I am willing to go back and forth behold to galaxy as needed. The process is easy enough.

Edit: Right after posting this my phone um... glitched. My pc would not recognize it. I rebooted both. The phone hung at the Samsung screen. I had to go through the steps again. Now I can't get the fc to stop. Back to step one again. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
An Odd Problem:

I've been following this Galaxy firmware saga and its the reason I bought a behold2..keep up the great work! I'm trying to follow the steps outlined but am running into an odd problem. I'm on windows 7 32 bit. Odin works fine to re-flash back to stock. I tried to install the Android SDK but it just didnt want to, so I tried ADB anyways and it let me get into my phone and it detects the phone just fine. I can pass commands to it fine and can get shell access. Now onto the problem:

I am getting up to the command "/data/local/unyaffs /sdcard/system" just fine. But as soon as I enter that command and hit enter, it hangs for about 15 seconds and then returns with "end of image". The phone then reboots after displaying the samsung logo. (After it reboots when I give that last command, I stop entering commands since I'm thinking something's not right...should I be continuing to enter commands anyways?) Once rebooted, The Samsung UI and apps and cube seem to have been removed and the phone is much faster and more vanilla android but navigating around the even the phone's basic functions produces tons of force closes. I haven't seen anyone else having this problem. The phone and SD card work fine once its back to stock. I am putting the phone in the correct settings (studio and debug mode) before I attempt the firmware change. Help!!

Upvote 0
An Odd Problem:

I've been following this Galaxy firmware saga and its the reason I bought a behold2..keep up the great work! I'm trying to follow the steps outlined but am running into an odd problem. I'm on windows 7 32 bit. Odin works fine to re-flash back to stock. I tried to install the Android SDK but it just didnt want to, so I tried ADB anyways and it let me get into my phone and it detects the phone just fine. I can pass commands to it fine and can get shell access. Now onto the problem:

I am getting up to the command "/data/local/unyaffs /sdcard/system" just fine. But as soon as I enter that command and hit enter, it hangs for about 15 seconds and then returns with "end of image". The phone then reboots after displaying the samsung logo. The Samsung UI and apps and cube seem to have been removed and the phone is much faster and more vanilla android but navigating around the even the phone's basic functions produces tons of force closes. I haven't seen anyone else having this problem. The phone and SD card work fine once its back to stock. I am putting the phone in the correct settings (studio and debug mode) before I attempt the firmware change. Help!!

Did you finish all the commands? The phone will reboot during the middle of the process. You have to keep going until your done with the list of commands. If you did then did you do a factory reset after you finished?

Upvote 0
No I did not continue entering commands as I thought that the connection to the phone would have been broken due to the reset. What should I do after the reboot? And I did do a factory reset after I stopped as described earlier and got force closes left and right. Thanks for the help!
ODIN back to stock and re-do all the commands again. After you get all the commands done make sure to factory reset.

Upvote 0
It worked, thanks guys. I just kept entering commands and ignored the reboot. Haha maybe a note on the step by step would be helpful so first timers like me dont freak out! I did the MMS fix but now when I even open the messaging app, it gives me a force close and then the app completely disappeared.

ODIN-ing and trying again right now.

Upvote 0
I have been unable to get the bluetooth to work after the ROM mod.

I couldn't get by without it so I picked up a Nexus One yesterday. If anyone is interested in this unlocked Behold II with the Galaxy ROM let me know. I bought it direst from T-Mobile for $550 and have the receipt. Make me an offer :)

Rick Culleton
Discount Electronics

Upvote 0
I have been unable to get the bluetooth to work after the ROM mod.

I couldn't get by without it so I picked up a Nexus One yesterday. If anyone is interested in this unlocked Behold II with the Galaxy ROM let me know. I bought it direst from T-Mobile for $550 and have the receipt. Make me an offer :)

Rick Culleton
Discount Electronics

ODIN back to stock..?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones