• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread 2.3 was here, then gone, now it's back

When will VZW push a fixed GB OTA

• 10/11/11

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10/17/11

• 10/24/11

• 10/31/11

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 11/07/11

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 11/14/111

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • 11/21/11

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Don't care (rooted already, etc)

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Before Christmas

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Never, the lobsters ate all the testers so it got cancelled

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • It isn't coming at all now

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • Any minute now

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Immediately after Jimmy Hoffa's body is found

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • The day after the apocalypse

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sometime after the sun goes supernova

Votes: 9 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
POTM126.jpg

Your's? Love it :)

Upvote 0
This is SDK, not the actual firmware. The Froyo SDK was released May 20th, the Nexus one didn't get the update for a month (we didn't get it till late August, with leaks in July if I remember correctly).

It's a good sign, but we've still got some time before we see it.

I don't care about whether or not the official update comes to the DINC. I want developers to work on it, specifically Cyanogen and Koush. I had Froyo in July through CM6...

Upvote 0
I don't care about whether or not the official update comes to the DINC. I want developers to work on it, specifically Cyanogen and Koush. I had Froyo in July through CM6...

That code mostly came from LEAKS, not the SDK. The SDK is mostly for updating/writing apps to work with 2.3, not as a means of distributing the update.

What is Android SDK? - A Word Definition From the Webopedia Computer Dictionary

Really, the ETA for 2.3 roms is ENTIRELY dependent of when/if HTC/VZW spring leaks (possibly leaks of EVO code, but that's not ideal for us). It has nothing to do with the SDK.

Upvote 0
YEAH! All the more reason to get rid of task killers!

Improved power management

The Android system takes a more active role in managing apps that are keeping the device awake for too long or that are consuming CPU while running in the background. By managing such apps — closing them if appropriate — the system helps ensure best possible performance and maximum battery life.
The system also gives the user more visibility over the power being consumed by system components and running apps. The Application settings provides an accurate overview of how the battery is being used, with details of the usage and relative power consumed by each component or application.

Upvote 0
That code mostly came from LEAKS, not the SDK. The SDK is mostly for updating/writing apps to work with 2.3, not as a means of distributing the update.

What is Android SDK? - A Word Definition From the Webopedia Computer Dictionary

Really, the ETA for 2.3 roms is ENTIRELY dependent of when/if HTC/VZW spring leaks (possibly leaks of EVO code, but that's not ideal for us). It has nothing to do with the SDK.

I dunno, over at XDA there are a LOT of Inc/Evo hybrid ROMs. You are right though, I had the Nexus One version of Froyo on my Inc through CM. Either way...its 2.3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones