• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread coming for the Nexus One

Don't think this was posted, thought it was interesting: Gingerbread to feature Wii-like motion processing – Android and Me

True 1:1 motion processing is coming to Gingerbread (Android 2.3) thanks to InvenSense, the company behind the MEMS gyroscope sensor found in the Nintendo Wii MotionPlus controller.
In Gingerbread, Google is planning to add several new sensor fusion APIs including quaternion, rotation matrix, linear acceleration and gravity. It sounds confusing, but developers will finally be able to leverage the benfits of the gyroscope working together with the accelerometer and magnetometer.
The uses of sensor fusion technology are nearly endless but expect it to appear in all types of applications including user interface, augmented reality, gaming, image stabilization, and navigation.

So would this mean better gaming experience?

Upvote 0
This would mean our phone needs a gyroscope to take advantage of it =/

This was by one of the commentors:

Actually Gyros have been supported in Android since 1.5: http://developer.android.com/reference/android/hardware/Sensor.html#TYPE_GYROSCOPE
I don’t any hardware manufactures have been installing them, but support has been there.
This sounds like it could be a much improved api though. Which would be awesome

So I guess we do:
int TYPE_GYROSCOPE A constant describing a gyroscope sensor type
Sensor | Android Developers

Upvote 0
I think Qualcomm has been working on an API like this for a while, perhaps they joined forces with google.
I've seen them demo some AR apps using advanced gyro software, using a gyroscope in combination with the accelerometer seemed to be a winning combo.

Too bad we're all just stuck with accelerometers.. a gyroscope is an actual hardware implementation :)

Upvote 0
interesting...the consensus on some forums i've stumbled on to is that the Desire *won't* get Gingerbread...probably since Google is going with Samsung for the next Nexus phone. they seemed very sure that it's not gonna happen, dunno why since HTC is quite responsive with OS updates.
It will, without a doubt. It may not come from HTC, but there are many devs who will get it done in their place.

Upvote 0
This is why the N1 is still the phone to have right now. I know there are phones with better specs (hardware wise) out there. Watch those other phone owners start to complain about why they still haven't gotten froyo after 3 months after we get gingerbread....lol.

But on a bad note, this is why android is a bit messy. not everyone is getting the same OS version at the same time. Damn those carriers (and some manufacturers)!!!

It might not have the best specs out there ,but it compensates a lot with the newest version of android :D
...rather have N1, than "others" with better hardware running Android1.6/2.1 !!!

Upvote 0
I honestly don't care about Fmail. I don't see it topping Gmail in functionality or anything.
In any case I couldn't care less about the possibility of integrating Fmail with Gingerbread and I hope Google does as well. Why would they?
It's up to Facebook to make a mail app for that or integrate it in their original app.
So we could probably expect it around 2012 :D

Upvote 0
I hope Google announces/release Gingerbread SOON!!! I don't want to have to wait for the announcement when Sasmung releases the Nexus S -_-; That'd be evil!

Eric Schmidt (Google CEO) is going live in 20 minutes at the web 2.0 summit in San Francisco!

He will be talking for 45 min so hopefully its the Gingerbread presentation / release date?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones