• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Given Up

I'd like to hold out as long as I can. I'm very happy with the battery life, my 2nd biggest concern with a 4G phone and the reason I didn't go with the Razr. So if it's likely they'll have a fix, I can stick it out. But I'd be lying if I told you if a fix still isn't out as it gets close to my return window closing, that I wouldn't get nervous.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we actually still don't know for sure that any fix on this phone will come direct from Google. It still may have to pass through VZW before it's 'approved'. If that's the case, I wouldn't look for a fix any time soon.

But like I said earlier (quite a few posts ago now), right this minute newegg.com/trade is offering $344 for a Nexus in perfect condition. I'm not sure how long the price will stay that high, but I gotta think it'll be a little longer than a month. So even if you wait until Valentine's Day and finally give up then, you'll still be able to get the money back you spent on the phone (and maybe even a little extra, depending)... Rezounds and Razrs can be found on eBay for right around that price, if not cheaper by then, so you may even make some money.

Ideally, if you're going to return the phone you obviously want to do it before Jan 15th. However, this just gives you an additional out if the deadline passes and you change your mind. It's not ideal, but it's an option.

Upvote 0
If you look at the teardown the nexus does not have the same chip that the charge had. Plus seeing how the lte nexus got 4.0.2 first I would say updates are coming from google and not through verizon. Not to mention how many people in the know have said updates will come from google + the various articles that stated that.

This is exactly what I was hoping for. With updates coming straight from Google, we know we can expect quality upgrades to many of the very things we have been talking about. VZW upgrades usually only target one issue at a time and then are masked by some aesthetic upgrades to distract customers from the real issue. I can't tell you how excited I am to have Google's #1 phone, which I have complete faith they will turn into the greatest phone on the market, even if it's not there quite yet. As OTD said, it's your choice if you want to return it or not, but I really think those who stick with it will be pleasantly rewarded.

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I was hoping for. With updates coming straight from Google, we know we can expect quality upgrades to many of the very things we have been talking about. VZW upgrades usually only target one issue at a time and then are masked by some aesthetic upgrades to distract customers from the real issue. I can't tell you how excited I am to have Google's #1 phone, which I have complete faith they will turn into the greatest phone on the market, even if it's not there quite yet. As OTD said, it's your choice if you want to return it or not, but I really think those who stick with it will be pleasantly rewarded.

Believe me I am having no issues with mine and am not going to return it. I am getting decent battery life that will only get better with radio updates. Google will get this figured out and get plenty of updates to try and get the phone and OS as bug free as possible.

Reactions: xGalaxyNexusx
Upvote 0
Believe me I am having no issues with mine and am not going to return it. I am getting decent battery life that will only get better with radio updates. Google will get this figured out and get plenty of updates to try and get the phone and OS as bug free as possible.

Yeah, it seems to me I find something new and cool out about the phone every time I pick it up. I love the little surprises that make everything easier (i.e. the Settings link in the notification bar, the Market link in the app bin, the Adobe Flash update- which I thought we'd have to be without for a while-, etc etc etc). It's just been down right fun getting adapted to this phone and I honestly feel bad for those who are disappointed. I'm just not sure why there would be such a huge difference in reactions on this one... some, like myself, believe its the best phone ever put out (or at least has the potential to be) while others are debating returning it for an older device that doesn't even have ICS.

Upvote 0
The reception is an issue that many are having, including myself, and it is one that should be fixed with software updates. Sound odd? Yep, but it is the case and has been with plenty of CDMA Samsung phones.

I am willing to accept this answer IFF VZW comes out and states it is software related or offer a free upgrade if it is not fixed within XX days. The problem many of have is that it is not acceptable and the 14 return window approaches far too fast.

Upvote 0
Wow, you live in a much much better area than I do as far as signal goes. I'm seeing -79 dBm as really good here. In bad areas I'm seeing -110 on my Nexus, but in really good areas I'm getting -88. Average is about -93. Odd thing is that I am still holding 4G in many of the bad areas and getting speeds around 4-6 Mbps. While I would prefer the 20+ Mbps I've seen on some phones I was also seeing 14k to 123k on my Fascinate before the Gingerbread update. So anything in Mbps is making me happy right now. lol

Just ran another speed test with all three connections.

Wifi = 9.76 Mbps down and 4.5 Mbps up
4G = -102 dBm 7.06 Mbps down and 4.67 Mbps up
3G = -93 dBm 1.05 Mbps down and 0.58 Mbps up

Battery is at 14% and the phone has been off the charger for 12h 29m 4s

At this point I'm not ready to complain too much. If the return deadline comes and there is no update in site or things somehow get worse, I may consider taking it back or exchanging it. I have until the middle of January for that though.

Unfortunately those numbers are more typical a bit west of where I live. I'm in NY on Long Island and the signal varies considerably here. There is no 4G just a few miles east of us. But the VZW store I went to is about 4 miles west of me where things are really strong.

To give you an idea, in my house my typical # is about -107dBm and sometimes a bit lower. I've dropped 4G in the house a few times, but it's not too bad. My speeds are quite a bit higher than the ones you reported.

I'm typically at about 8-12 Mbps down and about 4-5 Mbps up. So I'm not complaining too much, it's just those fringe areas and inside buildings where things go more downhill than they did with the Rezound or Bionic.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it seems to me I find something new and cool out about the phone every time I pick it up. I love the little surprises that make everything easier (i.e. the Settings link in the notification bar, the Market link in the app bin, the Adobe Flash update- which I thought we'd have to be without for a while-, etc etc etc). It's just been down right fun getting adapted to this phone and I honestly feel bad for those who are disappointed. I'm just not sure why there would be such a huge difference in reactions on this one... some, like myself, believe its the best phone ever put out (or at least has the potential to be) while others are debating returning it for an older device that doesn't even have ICS.

Because there are always those people who do not do research and then bitch about things that have been known for months( camera, battery, etc) and just jump in and then complain because they did not check the phone out before hand. I mean people complain it doesn't have 8 mp on the camera. It is a phone and as long as it can take decent pictures(which it is more than capable of doing) I am fine with it. I guess people have never heard of a google search to look at reviews before hand:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
While I'll be first to admit the battery life and reception are nothing to write home about, these "minor" issues (IMHO) are not detracting from this remarkable phone. I consider the SGN remarkable, because I come from a DX. Those upgrading from newer phones may not see the same step change in performance and usability.

I do expect reception to get better after a few radio updates. The signal strength readings on the phone don't seem to agree with readings from market apps, and I've not been losing the 4G signal at my house, on the drive to work, or at my office.

Some of the ROMs are apparently getting significant improvements in battery life, so expect similar improvements to come with either stock or ROM flavors in due time. I've seen very good battery life overnight, with fairly steep loss of battery charge when in use. I attribute some of this drain to the weak 4G signal at my house, and some of this to the high usage shown by the "Android OS", which is a problem I think will be solved shortly with an OTA update.

The owners who will not be rooting their phones and who wouldn't dream of installing a ROM may want to stay away from this phone for a little while, until some needed updates are available in the stock system with OTA updates. For me, I've rooted and flashed ROMs multiple times on my DX, and while still a little scary, I'm over the fear of really messing things up. I know that if I wait until others have been successful and moved past any issues, I can learn from their mistakes and usually make any upgrades with no issue. And if I do make a mistake, there are plenty of very skilled hackers willing and able to help me resolve anything I've messed up, after pointing out the error of my ways.

For those who are keeping this phone, I look forward to all the many benefits of having an unlocked Nexus device that I'm certain will give me at least two years of good service. For those who see better phone offerings at present, I wish you luck with your choice, but choose well.

Upvote 0
Because there are always those people who do not do research and then bitch about things that have been known for months( camera, battery, etc) and just jump in and then complain because they did not check the phone out before hand. I mean people complain it doesn't have 8 mp on the camera. It is a phone and as long as it can take decent pictures(which it is more than capable of doing) I am fine with it. I guess people have never heard of a google search to look at reviews before hand:rolleyes:

I'm a research junkie, and I did more research on this phone than any I've ever owned. One thing I did not see mentioned ANYWHERE until after Dec. 15 was the problem I'm having with the MTP file transfers. I've dowloaded the most current samsung drivers, tried every usb cable in the house, and even tried airdroid and several others.

I use my phone as a flash drive for some of the documents I don't want on my work machine, and the wifi at work is locked down tight... if I can't transfer files at work, I may find this to be a dealbreaker.

Not everyone went in blind... but some of us still got blindsided.

Upvote 0
Returning my Gnex. It is not what the myth lived up to be.

Reasons:
-abysmal battery life on 3g alone, no gps, no sync, nothing.
-still lags, I don't care how much fanboys deny this (LWP for example)
-3g reception is terrible
-4g reception is terrible and not worth the battery expense to try
-camera is subpar, why they didnt put the S2's camera on here is beyond me
-My MMS has been working like shit all day, I blame the terrible 3g reception
-Extended battery is a joke, dies just as fast as the regular one

People who are looking into this phone, don't buy the fanboy hype, don't try to ration that its going to be better, and don't think an OTA is going to magically fix half of these problems. People who claim wild battery life are in denial or trying to make the gnex seem better then it is because they want pride in their phone. Fact is, this phone is flawed, and I'm not waiting around to root and rom it just to make it better.

I wish it was better, but its not. I'm so irritated with this whole debacle that I am 90% tempted to buy a 4S and be done with it.

I don't mind you stating your experiences with the phone. Hell, people need to hear your experiences and others before they throw down their hard-earned money down for it.

I do resent you calling those of us who have not had your experience liars and fanboys. That's uncalled for. What you are saying is that you, based on your experience with your phone, know what everyone else's experiences are with theirs. You have no right whatsoever to speak for anyone but yourself, and the credibility of your post with regards to your experience drops to zero, in my eyes, when you insult others. You come across as a child throwing a temper-tantrum.

I see an intimate relationship with Siri in your future. You'll make a great couple.

Upvote 0
Wow, you live in a much much better area than I do as far as signal goes. I'm seeing -79 dBm as really good here. In bad areas I'm seeing -110 on my Nexus, but in really good areas I'm getting -88. Average is about -93. Odd thing is that I am still holding 4G in many of the bad areas and getting speeds around 4-6 Mbps. While I would prefer the 20+ Mbps I've seen on some phones I was also seeing 14k to 123k on my Fascinate before the Gingerbread update. So anything in Mbps is making me happy right now. lol

Just ran another speed test with all three connections.

Wifi = 9.76 Mbps down and 4.5 Mbps up
4G = -102 dBm 7.06 Mbps down and 4.67 Mbps up
3G = -93 dBm 1.05 Mbps down and 0.58 Mbps up

Well I just ran the tests and I'm not thrilled. My 4G is only giving me a single bar with a -113 dBm and 5.5mbps down and 584k up. 584 was my highest upload speed. Dropped to 3G in the middle of one test. This is not good is it? I actually had 2 calls drop yesterday although it could have been the other end. I really don't know what to do here. Should I try another phone? Someone please talk me down.

Upvote 0
Well I just ran the tests and I'm not thrilled. My 4G is only giving me a single bar with a -113 dBm and 5.5mbps down and 584k up. 584 was my highest upload speed. Dropped to 3G in the middle of one test. This is not good is it? I actually had 2 calls drop yesterday although it could have been the other end. I really don't know what to do here. Should I try another phone? Someone please talk me down.

Give it a few days! This is ICS...its brand new. Who knows what's going on under the hood of this thing. If your issues are bad enough, I'd definitely try another one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones