• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GPS in GV 1.5

Hmmm... This is interesting. I flashed GV 1.5 on Sunday, along with Eviollet's HAVS-AXI kernel (1.3). In the last 3 days my phone has frozen on then S-Off bootup screen on two mornings, causing me to have to pull the battery. Both times the phone has restarted but been wiped completely clean, causing me to have to run a Nandroid restore. It's starting to get bloody annoying, and has been causing me concern. However, if this is caused by the kernel not being aligned with the ROM then at least I know what's causing it and I'm happy to wait for Eviollet to fix it.

Of course, if this has nothing to do with the kernel then I may have a deeper issue...

Upvote 0
Yes, the ROM 1.5 has an issue which Richard has fixed I believe in his latest kernel, however eviollet has not implemented this fix yet. Although its not a kernel issue, if Richard fixes via kernel and not rom, eviollet will have to change his kernel too.

Well I've just restored to what I had before (whatever Kernel came with GV 1.5 when I downloaded it a week or so ago) and the GPS problem persists. Not sure if that's the newest version of his kernel though.

I'll look into more deeply later when I won't feel guilty about not doing my work :D

Upvote 0
Well I've just restored to what I had before (whatever Kernel came with GV 1.5 when I downloaded it a week or so ago) and the GPS problem persists. Not sure if that's the newest version of his kernel though.

I'll look into more deeply later when I won't feel guilty about not doing my work :D

Its not, no. Its only just been released v1.9

Edit> this is incorrect. Richard said fix in next version just before weekend, looking again at his post.

Upvote 0
Hmmm... This is interesting. I flashed GV 1.5 on Sunday, along with Eviollet's HAVS-AXI kernel (1.3). In the last 3 days my phone has frozen on then S-Off bootup screen on two mornings, causing me to have to pull the battery. Both times the phone has restarted but been wiped completely clean, causing me to have to run a Nandroid restore. It's starting to get bloody annoying, and has been causing me concern. However, if this is caused by the kernel not being aligned with the ROM then at least I know what's causing it and I'm happy to wait for Eviollet to fix it.

Of course, if this has nothing to do with the kernel then I may have a deeper issue...

What does that mean?

Upvote 0
im guessing hes referring to them not being true GB kernels and being modified aosp kernels on older bases

it wouldnt have that behaviour though, i think nearly everyone here uses that kernel.
when you are saying "wiped clean" it can mean many things.
does the rom boot and have no apps (if so does it give you the setup screen)
does the rom hang and not boot?

sounds like a corrupt ext
how did you create the ext partition when you created it some time ago?
youve not attempted to do anything like data2sd on this rom have you?

Upvote 0
Sorry guys, yeah, meant that if Eviollet has to change things in line with Richards changes...

On other questions...

- "Wiped clean": The phone starts up after being turned off for charging and the "Joker" AlphaRev screen appears, but it hangs on this screen. The only way to reset the phone is to remove the battery and turn the phone on again. This normally does the trick and the phone starts up as normal. When I unlock the phone to use it though, all the app icons are gone both from the screens and from the app drawer, and only the initial apps - and Angry Birds, strangely - appear in the drawer. LauncherPro has also gone and the phone has been reset to Launcher, including the standard dock icons instead of the ones I have put there. However, my wallpaper has remained. The initial widgets that appear on the screens when you first install the ROM are also there instead of the widgets I gave put there.

- Ext partition: Good question, I'm trying to remember as it was a while ago now. I dont recall using GParted, I seem to recall installing the SDK files onto my PC at home and using the command prompt on my PC to type code. Many apologies for teh vagueness here, I'll try and remember over the course of today!

-Data2SD: No chance of me trying that - too rich for my blood! Also, I only have a Class 2 32Gb card so I haven't bothered as the data read would be rotton-slow.

SU: If I format SD-Ext as well as do a factory reset, will I have to repartition?

Sorry, one last point: This has only happened since I have been running GV. Defrost 6.1 doesn't seem to cause any problems. That said, I have not reverted back to Defrost for more than a day since (re)flashing GV 1.5 so I'd need to do a week-long test to confirm this.

Upvote 0
No it wont remove the partition. Formatting it will just relay a freshly formatted filesystem on there. Which is what you want.

Do a data wipe by all means but definitely format (via mounts and storage menu) the data and sd-ext. This will lay down a new file system ion both, in preperation for a titanium restore.

The nandroid backup you have may have been taken at a point where these partitions are on the brink of corruption, so this would either fix, or rule out this issue.

Reactions: turbohobbit
Upvote 0
If you've already done a battery pull try boot into recovery and wipe dalvik and cache and full wipe

If problem persists, mount usb mass storage copy data to pc and check the partitions in gparted or whatever. Delete and recreate

Formatting ext should not break it via recovery but its almost as if that has happened

Upvote 0
Ok, I've pulled the battery and wiped the factory data. The bootloop is still persisting. So when I get home I'll plug the phone into my PC and go from there. Please excuse the psudo-noob question, but how do I check the partitions, what am I looking for, and how do I fix it?

As an alternative, is there any value in trying to reformat the Data and sd-ext, then reflash the ROM from the SD card? Kinda start from scratch?

Upvote 0
No problem. Sorry this has happened. It shouldn't have, but its not terminal. It could be the ext was so messed up, formatting broke it.

Try reflash Rom next.

Do you have gparted? Just Google gparted live cd. You either follow instructions to burn iso to cd making bootable cd or follow instructions to make bootable usb.

Then when you boot to this plug the desire in in recovery, go to mounts and storage menu and mount usb mass storage (ensure sd is backed up fully before all this)

Then restart the gparted interface (close then re -open)

Have w look in the apps2sd faq. There is step by step instructions to create partitions. You just need to right click the ext first and remove it

Once partition is recreated, copy.contents back and should boot.

Hope this helps. When are you home?

Upvote 0
i have a feeling its a corrupt ext partition. possible that because a wipe of data and dalvic has been done it is now trying to write dalvic back to the sd-ext as the darktremor script is already activated, its failing to write dalvic to ext therefore its bootlooping

I would advise taking the card out, backing up all the data on it and then using gparted to repartition it again

put the stuff back on it and restore what ever nandroid you had (if you had one)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones