• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] FroYo 2.2.1 for Root Users! (Updated 3/3/2011 at 3:40 pm EST - NOW EASIER THAN EVER!)

Ok, im having an issue with steps 11 and 12. I was told it may be a driver issue. Im running windows vista home edition 32 bit, i think its the lg mobile updater, anyone had this issue and know what could be wrong? It sits at around 30% earlier it started going further then i went to a different room, came back and it was closed...so i thought it might have finished but im guessing not...becase after i type in my model/.cab/version and click enter it just says

"Send the arguments"
"Loading..."

And sits there forever, so this LGMU is all i can think off...any windows vista users with idea, i thank you before hand, im not stopping now, im set my goal.

Upvote 0
Well, using this guide as a framework, I finally got my Ally rooted with 2.2...

Except for one thing... I only used the guide as a resource :) And using it as a resource, I believe I may be able to trim the guide down to about, what, 5 to 7 steps?

Problem I ran into was a slip of the finger... instead of this sequence:
Code:
C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>..\tools\fastboot.exe flash recovery ..\tools\amonra_recovery.img
  sending 'recovery' (4948 KB)... OKAY [  1.242s]
            writing 'recovery'... OKAY [  0.962s]
finished. total time: 2.204s

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>..\tools\fastboot.exe boot ..\tools\amonra_recovery.img
        downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY [  1.245s]
                       booting... OKAY [  0.210s]
finished. total time: 1.456s

... I did this sequence.
Code:
C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>..\tools\fastboot.exe flash recovery ..\tools\amonra_recovery.img
  sending 'recovery' (4948 KB)... OKAY [  1.242s]
            writing 'recovery'... OKAY [  0.962s]

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>..\tools\fastboot.exe [b]flash[/b] boot ..\tools\amonra_recovery.img
  sending 'boot' (4948 KB)... OKAY [  1.242s]
            writing 'boot'... OKAY [  0.962s]

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>dkjhfgkjdhfglksdhfgkljsdhfglkh

That ended up taking me an extra hour and a half out of my way, fighting with a phone that would only load the amonra_recovery tool (Power+Menu+Call during startup), otherwise it would just boot-loop at the start of the Verizon Wireless animation. I tried restoring a previous nandroid backup from the SD card by plugging it into my computer and using fastboot to inject it into the appropriate partition... that didn't work, same story. I finally broke down and tried flashing Trident's stock_recovery.img from the package, aaand... that's when all hell broke loose. I couldn't boot (just loops at Verizon animation), and I couldn't get into recovery - it just gave me the Android "!" icon and rebooted! Sh*t! I ran to the IRC, begging for help. Thanks to dotsaf on the IRC, I learned what I needed to know to load the stock Ally recovery: press the Home button on the keyboard immediately when the "!" screen comes up*! Bam, problem solved! I then applied the update.zip from the SD card. Everything came back to life. It booted fine, with Android 2.2.1.

Then I ran the fastboot loader again, applied and booted amonra_recovery.img as it SHOULD have been done (above), and booted into amonra_recovery. Had to disable the verification of the ZIP package (always seems to fail signature verification, even though the ZIP checks out?), installed it, ADB-shell and deleted the recovery installer, and rebooted. Voila. Superuser is there and fully functional (tested via "su" from ADB which asked me for verification on the phone).

So rooting 2.2.1 can probably be broken down to a VERY simple 5-7 step process of installing the PC-side drivers (ADB and bootloader), running ADB to reboot into fastboot, flashing recovery, using recovery to flash SU from the SD card, and removing the recovery reinstaller from startup. It could probably even be done without losing any data (which I wish I would've been able to do on mine if not for the recovery-boot-flash fiasco).

But it couldn't've been done without Trident's guidance and tools in the initial post. Thanks, man! I owe you and dotsaf a drink or something. :D

* - I now see that's in the guide, but, yeah, that's my mistake for having giddily wiped and OTA-updated my Ally for the initial 2.2.1 update, and having to use this guide as a "framework" instead of a guide, since it assumes I'm on 2.1 (not OTA updated to 2.2). I googled the HECK out of how to launch Ally's recovery mode, or launch Ally's fastboot mode, and always came up blank. I was lost and the answer was right there the whole time. Ugh. Panic mode fail.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones