• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help, I might have spyware or an SMS tracker? or some other form of malware?

roland5

Lurker
Jan 16, 2012
Hi, I'm new to this board and I figured this would be the best place to post. I have a strong feeling that someone installed some type of spyware on my phone. I let them borrow my phone several times while they texted (or, "texted") someone. I think they installed something.

I have extensively looked up information of spyware/SMS forwarding/etc. and have combed through my apps/running services, but I'm not finding SOLID evidence. Also I installed and ran several anti-virus/spyware/etc. type things, always coming clean.

The thing that worries me is that I installed NQ Security, which gives me an upload/download data bit measuring thing. It's pretty much always transfering SOMETHING but just it's just a couple of KBs. I think this is normal but sometimes I notice it jump to 50-60 something MEGA bytes, what the hell is doing this?

When I click on the bit data thing (it's small and in the corner of my screen, I remember I had the same type of program when I had Bitdefender on my computer) a screen pops up with the title "Connecting Apps". The only app on right now is "Google Contacts Sync" (i think this is normal) but if I'm on the internet too/have facebook open it'll show that as well of course. The thing that I think might be spyware though is an app that's just called "System", and the icon is the Droid green robot like in the rest of the real system apps. The only difference is that this one is slightly blurrier than the other icons I see in this same "Connecting Apps" list (this is why I think it's SKETCHY). I ran other app/service monitoring programs and none of them pick up this "System" thing. I could just be really paranoid and overanalyzing this, but I just want to check.

I am definitely going to factory reset soon, but first I'd like to see if I can find evidence of having spyware/SMS tracker/logger/whatever on my phone BEFORE reseting. So if anyone can help me with this, especially if you have experience (had it on your own phone or you put it on someone else's phone), please help. Like, if you know the code to open any type of hidden app like this (apparently in some cases it's texting yourself a number, other cases it's making a "call" which opens up the secret menu, etc.) please help me, any information is good. Thank you

Welcome to the forums!! :)

Really strange someone would try to put this on your phone. I googled some stuff and I found this app:
Android Spy | Android Spy Software | Best Android Monitoring App
I'm not sure if this is whats on your phone, but it's possible to track someones phone.
My advice would be to backup all your contacts and messages with apps like sms backup or Super Backup: SMS and Contacts:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts&feature=search_result

Then do a factory reset. This will remove the app and hopefully break the link, if there is one.
If you're suspicious, just factory reset it. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks, I've researched those programs and I am going to do a factory reset but I'd first like to find out for sure if anything was installed on my phone without my consent.

Does anyone have any experience with these trackers/replicators/loggers/etc.?
My husband put the SMS tracker agent on my phone. I have tried everything to get it off even going to the market and uninstalling it but it automatically reinstalls to my phone. I am still trying to figure it out. I did even did the factory reset, but I think it is linked to my SD card somehow so that doesn't work either. If anyone knows please let me know.

Upvote 0
I'm no coder, but i've looked into this. (my teenage son went thru an idiot phase, don't judge me lol).

-yes, some hide the drawer icon & show up as a fake "system" app.
-As far as text or dial codes you would have to check every spy app developer site & try all thier reset codes (0_o')
-How they can put it on without showing in ur market? They add thier account, install app then remove tier account
-Can be installed by clicking a text or email link, possibly even an sd card, but these work only if they turn on "allow non- market apps" in settings

***What i would do? Open suspect process/app & look for "unistall"
(settings/apps/manage/all)
A true system app will only give you options to force close, clear data, clear default, & maybe disable, (usually on carrier apps).
As far as I know, any user installed app will show the unistall button.
If it has this option, I would:
*back up the Apk file of the app (use: file expert, Apk manager, etc.)
*check to see if any administrater priveledges are "granted" (settings somewhere), it's red flag if so. Undo if possible.
*uncheck "allow non market apps"
*screenshot anything you wish as evidence...
**Unistall app

Upvote 0
my girlfriend(ex-gf now) put sms tracker on my phone cause she was concerned I was cheating when she was the one sending dirty texts to guys... anyways all the texts from the app called "sms tracker" (has blue bird for the apps symbol) they get backed up to .smstracker.con and you have to have login and password to get into it and there is no contact us link and you have to be member which isn't too difficult but without membership or whatever you cant even email their support. I hate this app. I guess if your the victim then it would be great but when its just someone's guilty conscience invading your privacy that's messed and I am pretty certain violation of you constitutional rights!!!! before I broke with her she showed me all my messages on the website they get stored on and what I wanna know is if a factory reset would break the link and would it delete all the texts/info that stupid apps website has from your phone. these things aren't right. I love my smart phone (galaxy s 3) but after all this I wonder if its even worth it.... it would only get worse too. this should be illegal and punishable to violate someone like that

Upvote 0
my girlfriend(ex-gf now) put sms tracker on my phone cause she was concerned I was cheating when she was the one sending dirty texts to guys... anyways all the texts from the app called "sms tracker" (has blue bird for the apps symbol) they get backed up to www.smstracker.conm and you have to have login and password to get into it and there is no contact us link and you have to be member which isn't too difficult but without membership or whatever you cant even email their support. I hate this app. I guess if your the victim then it would be great but when its just someone's guilty conscience invading your privacy that's messed and I am pretty certain violation of you constitutional rights!!!! before I broke with her she showed me all my messages on the website they get stored on and what I wanna know is if a factory reset would break the link and would it delete all the texts/info that stupid apps website has from your phone. these things aren't right. I love my smart phone (galaxy s 3) but after all this I wonder if its even worth it.... it would only get worse too. this should be illegal and punishable to violate someone like that

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones